Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D - any solution to use a remote release ..  (Read 3144 times)

rxchaos

X1D - any solution to use a remote release ..
« on: February 09, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »

I'm aware the X1D has no remote release port; and to trigger the camera remotely one would have to enable WIFI on the camera and use Phocus on an iphone/ipad.  Would anyone know whether it's possible to use a USB remote release from Sony or Olympus or another manufacturer?

hubell

Re: X1D - any solution to use a remote release ..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 08:38:39 pm »

I'm aware the X1D has no remote release port; and to trigger the camera remotely one would have to enable WIFI on the camera and use Phocus on an iphone/ipad.  Would anyone know whether it's possible to use a USB remote release from Sony or Olympus or another manufacturer?

My understanding is that Hasselblad is fully aware of the desire for a remote cable release and is looking at the options for providing that capability. I have no idea when it will be announced, but do keep in mind that it was a while before Phase released one for the XF body.

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:11:51 am »

Before I decided on the GFX, my plan was to use an iPhone with Phocus app with one of these flexible rubber holders around my neck. Not perfect, but will work.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 02:32:24 pm »

Hi,

Hasselblad says they are working on a solution. USB is not intended to be a remote release port. So the camera will need to have a firmware solution to use the existing pin out for remote. Hasselblad is saying they are working on it, so I would not have grave concerns about not having a solution right now.

Why Hasselblad didn't have it from day zero is a mystery, but it seems that they will provide a solution with a firmware update pretty soon.

It is a bit improbable that a Sony or Olympus release may work.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 04:28:51 pm »

My understanding is that Hasselblad is fully aware of the desire for a remote cable release and is looking at the options for providing that capability. I have no idea when it will be announced, but do keep in mind that it was a while before Phase released one for the XF body.

Actually P1 figured it out pretty quickly and within 2 months had a fix out, their only problem was they didn't make enough of them.  The first remote was a P1 modified old Mamiya (which IMO was still the best version).  These showed up in DT and C1 but the quantity did not last very long.  Then P1 came out with 2 solutions, the 399.00 bob, and the Hahanl (probably spelled this wrong) which is 99.00. 

What is strange is that the port was always on the XF and the it's now apparent that P1 modified the port from the older DF+ to the bob to give it the ability to charge via an external battery (not sure if that ever shipped), so P1 knew they needed a remote from day 1, but I guess supply issues or design issues got in the way.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hubell

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »

Personally, I am not crazy about the use of the USB-C connector on the X1D for a remote cable release. You would have to leave the little door to the compartment open, which means that water could possibly penetrate into the camera body. A dedicated port is much better. This why I rarely use a remote release with the Sony A7RII. The X2D will have a dedicated port!
Pages: [1]   Go Up