Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Camera Decision  (Read 14006 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: New Camera Decision
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 03:23:59 pm »

The 10-24 is the best around 14-20 but it's good enough the rest of the range, particularly on a 24MP body.
My last backpacking trip I went with the X-T2 and both 10-24 and 18-55. Redundant for a good range but it allowed me to change the lenses less.

Edit:
They were good enough on their own in case the other lens would break.
I did lose the weather sealing but for the half day when it really rained I was so frozen and visibility was so poor that I had no desire to photograph anything. For the couple of hours when it was so so I had an Optech plastic sleeve.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:29:59 pm by armand »

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 04:43:04 pm »

Sorry, that was a typo. I meant the 10-24 Fuji and yes I realize they are very different but I want to cover the 24-35mm equiv. range.  Even better deal Fuji kit with 18-55, grip and add 10-24 for only $200.00 more than the Oly with 12-40. Gets me more coverage and battery grip.  I have read the 18-55 is a pretty decent lens.
You could say that, yes....

(X-Pro1 image)

It's actually quite an impressive lens; Imaging Resource and Lloyd Chambers at Diglloyd show impressive sharpness in lab and real world testing, respectively. This is a much higher quality lens than a standard Canikon "kit lens".

jemsurvey

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2017, 10:37:09 am »

Really like the lighting on the bridge.  Pretty good detail in there also.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 12:43:40 pm »

Really like the lighting on the bridge.  Pretty good detail in there also.

Thanks. That's not a HDR image, either. One frame, one exposure. The image has been downsampled from full size; it has quite a bit more detail on a 5K Retina iMac.  ;)

jemsurvey

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 06:23:06 pm »

Thanks again for all the input.  Placed an order for an X-T2.  I had a chance to handle one and study for awhile (though not shoot with it) and also to work on some RAF files from an X-Pro2. 

I played around some this past weekend comparing outputs from Iridient Dev and Lightroom.  I was a bit underwhelmed by what I was getting from ID.  In all but a couple cases the output from LR in my opinion looked superior or equal to that from ID.  I only saw better retained detail in ID on 2 photos out of almost 2 dozen I worked with.  I had a difficult time with the colors in ID and although the sharpening seemed ok I found it difficult to control noise.  In fact in a few cases when I was happy with the results in ID when I sent the file back to LR and opened it I was surprised that it appeared to gain some noise. Now some of this may be my unfamiliarity with ID, but I guess I was expecting to see more of a difference.  I'll keep plugging away with it, especially after I get some of my own files to play with.

For now waiting for the Fuji to get of backorder.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up