Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer recommendations, please!  (Read 3045 times)

Dinarius

Printer recommendations, please!
« on: July 24, 2006, 06:17:14 am »

A problem I freqently come up against with customers who are slow to make the switch from tranny to digital is that they don't have the 'reference' image with a digital file that a tranny gives them.

Whatever one feels about this point of view, I'd like to be in a position to offer these customers a reference print with the CD/DVD.

The print would really only need to be A5, so ideally that is what I'd like.

I shoot mostly fine art for catalogue reproduction. Problems rarely arise with the client. More often than not, it's with the offset printer. So, I would like a printer that will give me a lot of colour control and produce a print that allows both me and the client to say, "This is how we want it to look."

Oh, and I'd like it to be cheap to run too!

A tall order perhaps.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

D.

ps...........

And should I be considering ink-jet or dye sub?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 02:13:20 pm by Dinarius »

Dinarius

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 03:12:23 am »

OK. I haven't exactly been overwhelmed with suggestions here so, I'll throw you a bone and see what you think........

A friend suggested that I should consider the Epson R800 for my purposes.

Any views on this printer?

Any alternatives?

Thanks.

D.

Raw shooter

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:03:27 pm »

"And should I be considering ink-jet or dot-matrix? "

My guess is that most members see this quote and wonder if you have been printing photography yet at your location.  Any experience with any modern printer will help you see the difference. Maybe dye-sub, but dot matrix?

With digital, IMHO, the person printing is more important than the hardware printer.  You will learn so much by experimentation.  And have lots of fun learning.
Saying that, the Epson R2400 is among the best.  Check out other threads on printers here and you will see that opinions vary a little, but a couple of Epson models tend to come out on top. The R800 may be a tad below your expectations.  Epson will support the R1800 and the R2400 with ICC profiles - which is the important part of getting the results your clients need in seeing your work like it really appears.
All my best,
G

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:15:01 pm »

Raw Shooter,

Of course I meant dye-sub (now edited). Don't know what I was thinking when I was writing that! ;-)

Will check out the two printers you mentioned.

Many thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up