Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you share your gear when around other photographers?  (Read 12758 times)

dreed

Do you share your gear when around other photographers?
« on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:45 am »

Some years ago I was in Yosemite and came across a gentleman who had a large telephoto prime plus 1.4x mounted on a tripod for taking pics of a baby bear. As he was using the same brand of camera as I was (and we were of similar height so no tripod adjustment necessary), he offered to let me hook up my camera to his lens and shoot some pics (which I did and thanked him for.)

Some years later I find myself doing something similar: when out taking pictures locally and there is wildlife around, I often ask others who have the same brand camera (but only have their kit lens or something with not much reach) as I if they'd like to use one of my lenses to get a better shot (haven't yet had a refusal.) They almost always get the shot they want and walk away with a smile.

In a way it kind of feels strange handing someone else my $$$ lens and sometimes I do feel a bit nervous about it but I've not once come even close to having my trust betrayed.

Does anyone else here happen to do this on occassion?
If you do, what are your experiences?

Jim Metzger

Re: Do you share your gear when around other photographers?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »

I have done this, I am friendly with some local photojournalists and when we cover the same event I will ask if they want to try my 85 1.8 or even take a few images with a D810 instead of their D700.

I have offered to lend a P.C. lens or additional flash to friends who I trust.

I have also given away rolls of film and batteries to strangers when on vacation. The thank you email when returning home is always a pleasant surprise.

Jim

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 04:42:44 pm »

I've done it a few times at the local Audubon Society viewing platform. If I see someone drooling over my tried and true non VR Nikon 600 F4 and TC I will ask if they would like to hook on and take a few shots. I've met several very nice folks that way.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:53 pm »

Kevin, that's the simple and secure way - heavy lens mounted on tripod.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:51:46 am »

I have handed my gear plenty of times to strangers. I was never given the opportunity to use gear I couldn't afford or didn't own when I was younger, so I don't want others to miss out on opportunities.

I never handed film, but I'll try that as well. Have a lot of film I will probably never shoot, even some small film cameras I got at flea market for a few cents, so that could make for a nice experience to someone else. :)

Thanks for the idea Jim!
Instagram (updated often)

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:20:54 am »

I have a couple friends that I have done this with before. In fact we often borrow or rent gear from each other in a pinch for shoots. What goes around comes around.

With others... Not often strangers...but then again strangers have rarely asked.  I always let some handled or try something I have if they do ask. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

SZRitter

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:13:16 am »

Well, in college, a friend of mine borrowed an SLR for her intro to photography course for a semester. She had, unfortunately, left hers in a car on a really hot day and it had melted!

After that, I have been known to hand gear to friends and vice-a-versa. But it's always been people I know.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:12 pm »

When I go to workshops, or am at outings of our photo club, I share. I know these people, and we are all there for the duration. I might add, the little items are as popular as lenses. Pop-up reflector or diffuser? Filter? Spare batteries? Cable release? Clean lens cloth? Spare flash? Voice-activated light or reflector stand (me)?

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »

I was once asked by a young competitor if he could borrow one of my lenses. As he was trying to muscle into my fashion clients I though what a cheeky sod! So no, I did not.

My view is this: if they can't afford one for themselves, how do they replace yours if they lose it or otherwise can't/won't return it? Imagine telling your insurance company - or your wife - why you need a replacement camera or lens through your own stupidity.

My cameras and lenses feel as sacrosant as did my wife, my watch and my car. Non-negotiable.

Rob C

hogloff

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:38 pm »

I have no issues with lending out my equipment to people I know. What's the difference lending a lens or lending a car or lending your chain saw?

What is so sacred with camera gear?

Harold Clark

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 07:28:30 pm »

I was once asked by a young competitor if he could borrow one of my lenses. As he was trying to muscle into my fashion clients I though what a cheeky sod! So no, I did not.

My view is this: if they can't afford one for themselves, how do they replace yours if they lose it or otherwise can't/won't return it? Imagine telling your insurance company - or your wife - why you need a replacement camera or lens through your own stupidity.

My cameras and lenses feel as sacrosant as did my wife, my watch and my car. Non-negotiable.

Rob C

My Grandfather said a man should never lend his razor or his wife. He didn't own a camera, but I believe he did occasionally lend his horse.

BrownBear

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 06:03:09 am »

My view is this: if they can't afford one for themselves, how do they replace yours if they lose it or otherwise can't/won't return it?

Bingo.

I've loaned out old clunker lenses to beginners to allow them to experiment with a new focal length before buying their own. But they're always lenses I no longer use. In the field strangers (only the polite and deferential) might get a look through my viewfinder for a glimpse of what they can achieve with a new focal length, but that's rare. 

My wife was in the photo biz with me, and that was entirely different.  Often the best place to look for one of my lenses was in her camera bags!  Sheesh, was she ever a lens leech!  ;D

Otto Phocus

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 06:31:46 am »

I rarely even talk to other photographers.  To me photography is a solitary activity, even if there are many people present.  I like to concentrate on my photography and I presume that other photographers want to do the same.  As long as I am not interfering with anyone, I expect to be left alone.

If someone came up to me and asked if they could borrow a piece of my equipment, my decision would be based on the value of the equipment.  Since most photographers can run faster and longer than I can, there is a definite risk on my part.   In any case, if I do lend out a piece of equipment, I would have to stop my photography and wait for the photographer to get done and return my stuff... kinda interfering with my photography.

I have not had any stranger ask me to borrow a piece of equipment of mine, but then honestly, I try to exude an attitude of "I am trying to concentrate here, I am really not the person you want to talk to right now".

Other photographers treat photography in a more social way and that's great for them. I don't get a lot of time to go out and take photographs so when I do, I want to take photographs.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 08:23:47 am »

If you attend an airshow in Japan with a 400mm f2.8, odds are that the people around may be kind enough to loan you their 600mm f4... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 10:25:10 am »

I was at a special shoot at a zoo with Joel Sartore the National Geographic Photographer, a lady was frantically going through images on her camera to see what she could delete. She did not have any spare cards, and the one she was using had a lot of pics of her family and children. So I gave her two spare memory cards. I had plenty of them with me, way over kill so it was no problem. She was extremely grateful. A good experience all around.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 11:55:00 am »

If you attend an airshow in Japan with a 400mm f2.8, odds are that the people around may be kind enough to loan you their 600mm f4... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

LOL  ;D
Regards,
Ron

Ian99

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 05:58:39 pm »

Years ago I attended a wedding as a guest. I took a minimal amount of equipment with me as I knew there was to be a “pro” photographer for the shoot.

I ended up having to lend the “pro” two lenses because he was woefully underequipped and it wasn’t an attempt to limit my shooting. I got no thanks.

On a second occasion I shot a wedding for a friend. One of the guests said that he had run out of film (it was a few years ago!) and did I have any? Well, what do you do? I gave him two rolls of something which cost me CAD$9.00 each and later on he came round and gave me CAD$5 which he thought covered it!

Over my life I have learned to float over small stuff and never go to weddings.

DennisWilliams

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 12:12:24 am »

No I do not.  Quite honestly I am never around "other photographers".

dreed

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 03:20:29 am »

If someone came up to me and asked if they could borrow a piece of my equipment, my decision would be based on the value of the equipment.

I've never had people ask if they could borrow something nor have I ever asked. I've offered as have others offer to me that I've run into.

But I wonder ... is there a market for an Uber-like company for cameras and lenses? How many amateurs or hobbyists have equipment that sits on a shelf or otherwise unused for 80+% of the year?

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 03:46:37 am »

I've never had people ask if they could borrow something nor have I ever asked. I've offered as have others offer to me that I've run into.

But I wonder ... is there a market for an Uber-like company for cameras and lenses? How many amateurs or hobbyists have equipment that sits on a shelf or otherwise unused for 80+% of the year?

It's already in business: it's called a brothel.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up