Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architecture - Ideal high end set up with gear available 2017?  (Read 28417 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Re: Architecture - Ideal high end set up with gear available 2017?
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:34 am »

Erik,

The 100-400 has outstanding reviews. 
I am surprised that you do not feel impressed with it.

I am think of ordering it BUT I don't know how much use I'll have for it.
Are we thinking of the same lens:
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens that costs $2,049 at B&H?

I have decided to keep the Sony 7A7RII.  It is just so much easier to tote around hand handle than the Hassie AND at a fraction of the cost.
Image quality I'm getting is not as rich of an image, but it is very adequate for the work I want to break into.

I'll add a tech camera body, lenses once I get a revenue stream started, or just get crazy and part with cash!

Right now I have the 17 Canon TS, 24 Canon TS, 35mm 2.8 Sony Sonnar T ZA, 55mm 1.8 Sonnar ZA, and the 85mm 1.4 GM Sony lenses.
Using the Metabones adapter for the Canon TS lenses.

The a7RII is QUITE different from the H5D I have and it's taking some getting used to for me.  Still studying the book I bought on it as the
manual that came with it is useless.

I think I have enough lens choices to get me started in the architectural world, starting with real estate.  Have one realtor that
is interested is using me.  Need to do several jobs for her at a very reasonable rate to build up a portfolio.

Jack

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2017, 03:13:02 pm »

Hi Jack,

I am very interested in the 100-400 Canon, it is on top of my buying list! It is the Sony 70-400 offering I am less impressed by!

But, I am a bit short on money after spending on Hassy/P45+ and Sony A7rII systems. Keep in mind that software engineers in Sweden are not that well paid.

I would say that the A7rII is a very flexible and capable camera, but it may be that you learn to live with it. There are a lot of caveats. Or at least quite a few them.

For me it works just fine. I am a bit analytic and mostly a tripod shooter. Some other guy, having different habits, or a different mind, may have a different experience.

Just to say, the Sony 70-400/4-5.6 lens can deliver excellent sharpness. But it cannot deliver over the entire frame.

A halfway recent experience:

There is a nice tree I used to shoot each autumn in a nice autumn shroud. This year I wanted a very good shoot, so I packed the Hassy/P45 and 180/4 combo. I got a nice shoot that was sharp but was not so good in composition.

I also shoot with my Zeiss 35-135/3.3-4.5 zoom on the A7rII, but that zoom lacked the edge sharpness of the Zeiss 180/4.

After a few days I went back to the spot and nailed it. With the A7rII using that Minolta 80-200/2.8 APO I have laying around for 30 years. I had better light, but the 30 year old APO was sharp corner to corner at 120 mm and f/8.

On the other hand... I have shot the same subject ten years ago with the same lens but using my Sony Alpha 100 at ten MP. It is hanging on my wall at 27"x39". Did I replace it? No! It is still good enough!

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

The 100-400 has outstanding reviews. 
I am surprised that you do not feel impressed with it.

I am think of ordering it BUT I don't know how much use I'll have for it.
Are we thinking of the same lens:
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens that costs $2,049 at B&H?

I have decided to keep the Sony 7A7RII.  It is just so much easier to tote around hand handle than the Hassie AND at a fraction of the cost.
Image quality I'm getting is not as rich of an image, but it is very adequate for the work I want to break into.

I'll add a tech camera body, lenses once I get a revenue stream started, or just get crazy and part with cash!

Right now I have the 17 Canon TS, 24 Canon TS, 35mm 2.8 Sony Sonnar T ZA, 55mm 1.8 Sonnar ZA, and the 85mm 1.4 GM Sony lenses.
Using the Metabones adapter for the Canon TS lenses.

The a7RII is QUITE different from the H5D I have and it's taking some getting used to for me.  Still studying the book I bought on it as the
manual that came with it is useless.

I think I have enough lens choices to get me started in the architectural world, starting with real estate.  Have one realtor that
is interested is using me.  Need to do several jobs for her at a very reasonable rate to build up a portfolio.

Jack
Erik Kaffehr

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:20 pm »

"Keep in mind that software engineers in Sweden are not that well paid."

Back when I was developing on Silicon Graphics, a fresh Master Graduate from MIT in CG would start at $120K/year!
I didn't need too many of them!  That was the period of my life where I had the most intellectual fun!

Jack
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up