Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Kodak ProBack 645 IR filter and coverglas  (Read 4894 times)

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Cleaning Kodak ProBack 645 IR filter and coverglas
« on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:28 pm »

There is some schmutz on the IR filter of my Kodak DCS Pro 645 back. I wanted to verify with past and present owners here the cleaning instructions on the Kodak website, which apply to their DSLR's and which reference "E-Pads" and "alcohol."

I've used a Sensor Brush to remove the loose dust from both the IR filter and the sensor cover glass; for the latter, that appears to be all that's needed. But the IR filter has a couple of obvious small smudges on it which for all I know might even be liquid from the canned air I used to charge the sensor brush. I'd not worry about it except they are showing up in my images.

Any cleaning advice from other Probac owners? Pec-Pads? What (if any) solvent?

Thanks much in advance.
michael sebast

Graham Welland

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 01:47:26 am »

There is some schmutz on the IR filter of my Kodak DCS Pro 645 back. I wanted to verify with past and present owners here the cleaning instructions on the Kodak website, which apply to their DSLR's and which reference "E-Pads" and "alcohol."

I've used a Sensor Brush to remove the loose dust from both the IR filter and the sensor cover glass; for the latter, that appears to be all that's needed. But the IR filter has a couple of obvious small smudges on it which for all I know might even be liquid from the canned air I used to charge the sensor brush. I'd not worry about it except they are showing up in my images.

Any cleaning advice from other Probac owners? Pec-Pads? What (if any) solvent?

Thanks much in advance.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've used the Pec Pads and cleaning solution successfully but these days I rely on the Visible Dust brush and motor spin thingy ... (technical description!). When using a pad/solvent I've just followed the instructions and used a single pad for each clean swipe and everything has been fine.

Generally there's a lot of FUD out there about how delicate the IR glass cover is. Remember you're not touching the actual sensor (unless you've got crud under the IR filter).
Graham

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 05:17:06 pm »

Cleaning the pro back is a "dream".  

You have total access to the sensor, and you have a company that has no issues the end user cleaning the sensor.  

E pads refers to the older sensor swabs, now you have several options from either visable dust or sensor swab.  You would want to full swab meant for a true sized 35mm camera.  I don't believe they make one for the large medium format sensors.

Many will create their own swab, many articles on this out on the web, then use the pec pads.  

I have only ued the swabs and they do fine.  However with the sensor brush, most times that's all you need unless it's a very bad spot.

On AA or IR filter, you can use the same method, however they are very fragile and I have applied too much pressure once and broke an IR filter.  

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:24:51 am »

Cleaning the pro back is a "dream". 

On AA or IR filter, you can use the same method, however they are very fragile and I have applied too much pressure once and broke an IR filter. 

Paul Caldwell
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess the line between never having damaged an IR filter to breaking it is probably just one of experience and I'll only find out if I do it. (I'm glad I secured a spare a while back just in case)

Just how hard do you folks push on the glass? I treat it as delicate glass but not excessively so. I don't really ever apply any significant pressure at all and rely on the fluid and swab to loosen any stubborn crud. Otherwise I just use the large visible dust brushes for general maintenance.

You are correct about the back cleaning being a dream compared to the act of plunging a brush into the black hole of a DSLR ...
Graham

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:19:28 am »

Phase Backs ship with Digi-Clean, whcih is a two part solution that you apply to a pad that is wrapped around a plastic paddle. First solution A, then solution B. Cleans really well. I apply the pad with gentle pressure in one direction only, and use a rocket blower beforehand.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 07:00:44 pm »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I got hold of Sensor Swabs and Eclipse fluid and, after Rocket blower dusting and Sensor Brushes for the loose dust, I managed to get the adherent greasy crud off the cover glass and IR filter (mostly the latter) without mangling anything. I guess I'm a wuss; the thought of inflicting a four-figure repair bill by cleaning malpractice was daunting, but not as daunting as those huge blooming spots in my skies.

With luck my only problem going forward will be stuff I can blow away rather than swab away.

Many thanks folks.
michael sebast
Pages: [1]   Go Up