Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new photo web page - seeking technical feedback  (Read 3819 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
new photo web page - seeking technical feedback
« on: January 29, 2017, 12:18:35 pm »

I've just updated my photography web page.  I've designed the site using Adobe Muse application.

I'm interested in feedback about how the page works and displays on various devices.

So, if you have a moment in your spare time, would you mind to visit the page and report about how the page looks and works?  Can you see the thumbnails? Any strange things happing like navigation not working or buttons or text displayed in strange places?

If you can, please post a screen shot and tell me what device it's from.  It would be very, very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

http://brucealangreene.com/photography.html

Bruce Alan Greene Photography page
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: new photo web page - seeking technical feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 05:37:46 pm »

These screenshots are from a Win 7 computer with NEC EA232WMi 1920x1080 display and Google Chrome browser.
The first screen shot is with Google Chrome browser set to default magnification (100%). The entire page is not visible.
The second screen shot is with browser set to 67%. Much smaller, but the bottom is not chopped off.
I never expect or need to change from the default setting of 100% magnification when I am browsing so apparently most websites detect my display and adjust accordingly. Yours is not currently doing that.
Thumbnail links appear to work fine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:25:52 pm by pcgpcg »

Cornfield

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:35:55 am »

I'm running Google Chrome, Windows 10, on a1920x1200 display and everything looks to be working.

To be honest, I think you should use a pro-designer or a slick pro designed theme on a Wordpress site.  Your 2016 DP showreel is real quality and its obvious you are a pro DP.  I think the current site is not really selling your talents.  Pros should use Pros and forget the DIY approach.  I'm sorry if my reply is too blunt but I believe the direct approach is best.

smthopr

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:42:42 am »

These screenshots are from a Win 7 computer with NEC EA232WMi 1920x1080 display and Google Chrome browser.
The first screen shot is with Google Chrome browser set to default magnification (100%). The entire page is not visible.
The second screen shot is with browser set to 67%. Much larger and the bottom is chopped off.
I never expect or need to change from the default setting of 100% magnification when I am browsing so apparently most websites detect my display and adjust accordingly. Yours is not currently doing that.
Thumbnail links appear to work fine.

Thank you Paul, this is really helpful.  Just what I was looking for.  On my Macbook Pro 15in, I don't have this issue and all scales ok when making the window smaller, so I couldn't see the issue.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

smthopr

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:06 am »

I'm running Google Chrome, Windows 10, on a1920x1200 display and everything looks to be working.

To be honest, I think you should use a pro-designer or a slick pro designed theme on a Wordpress site.  Your 2016 DP showreel is real quality and its obvious you are a pro DP.  I think the current site is not really selling your talents.  Pros should use Pros and forget the DIY approach.  I'm sorry if my reply is too blunt but I believe the direct approach is best.

Thank you so much for this opinion.  Really.

Even if I were to use a professional designer, I would still have the issue of content.  So my question for you is:  Are you reacting to the content, or just the graphics?  For my business, I'm not hoping to find a lot of random site visits, it's really more to direct potential clients who ask to learn more about me.

Thanks Mr. Cornfield!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

pearlstreet

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »

Maybe not have so many different fonts. I think that makes it look a little clunky and I would lose the drop shadow on the gallery. Pick a serif and non-serif font that work together or just use one font for all.

Cornfield

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:12 am »

Hi smthopr

It's the design, layout and functionality I feel a professional designer could do a good job not the content!

Have a look at the demos on this page https://avada.theme-fusion.com/demos/  Avada is the best selling Wordpress theme ever.  It's a superb platform to produce virtually any type of web design with a slick pro design feel.  Over the next couple of weeks, I'm redoing my site with Avada and will style this to match a theme on PhotoDeck.  Photodeck does all the heavy lifting managing the images, sales and downloads.  This is the design from PhotoDeck I'll probably use.  http://www.sautier.com/en

smthopr

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 01:04:43 pm »

Hi smthopr

It's the design, layout and functionality I feel a professional designer could do a good job not the content!

Have a look at the demos on this page https://avada.theme-fusion.com/demos/  Avada is the best selling Wordpress theme ever.  It's a superb platform to produce virtually any type of web design with a slick pro design feel.  Over the next couple of weeks, I'm redoing my site with Avada and will style this to match a theme on PhotoDeck.  Photodeck does all the heavy lifting managing the images, sales and downloads.  This is the design from PhotoDeck I'll probably use.  http://www.sautier.com/en

Thanks for the suggestions!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 11:43:18 pm »

Hey Bruce,

I'm looking at the site on an iPad Air.  It seems to be working fine, but there are some nuances that could be improved.

It would be nice if the header and the navigation didn't overlap the images. I understand the desire to have the images as large as possible, but I'm not sure it's worth it if it means adding distracting elements on top of the images.

When viewing horizontally, it would be nice if the whole site fit in the screen. It almost does, which means the whole site kind of moves up and down as you swipe image to image. If you could design it so it was responsive and always took exactly 100% of the height you could lock down the vertical scrolling and make it feel more 'solid' and app like.

I would suggest setting a color for your phone links other than the default. On your contact page the phone numbers are quite difficult to read against the grey background.

People generally know how things work if the site is designed well. You probably don't need to add instructions like 'click below for email' or 'Click on links below to view demo reels'

smthopr

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:11:51 pm »

Hey Bruce,

I'm looking at the site on an iPad Air.  It seems to be working fine, but there are some nuances that could be improved.

It would be nice if the header and the navigation didn't overlap the images. I understand the desire to have the images as large as possible, but I'm not sure it's worth it if it means adding distracting elements on top of the images.

When viewing horizontally, it would be nice if the whole site fit in the screen. It almost does, which means the whole site kind of moves up and down as you swipe image to image. If you could design it so it was responsive and always took exactly 100% of the height you could lock down the vertical scrolling and make it feel more 'solid' and app like.

I would suggest setting a color for your phone links other than the default. On your contact page the phone numbers are quite difficult to read against the grey background.

People generally know how things work if the site is designed well. You probably don't need to add instructions like 'click below for email' or 'Click on links below to view demo reels'

Thanks Mark.  Very helpful!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Ian99

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:37:32 pm »

I know you asked for technical feedback on the new web page, but I am stopped dead with the content of the first pic – Christ the Savior Cathedral.

The four people at the left need some major work. Missing legs and squashed head gives me the wrong impression of you as a photographer. Maybe I am just old-fashioned.

smthopr

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »

I know you asked for technical feedback on the new web page, but I am stopped dead with the content of the first pic – Christ the Savior Cathedral.

The four people at the left need some major work. Missing legs and squashed head gives me the wrong impression of you as a photographer. Maybe I am just old-fashioned.
Yes, this happens with an iPhone panorama when the people move.  I happen to love it :)  But thanks for your comments!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up