Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: 20th January, 2017  (Read 44135 times)

Rob C

20th January, 2017
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »

I have to confess that I'd been a teeny bit concerned, but I shouldn't have been: Melania looked absolutely exquisite and regal in a fabulously understated shade of blue! At first I'd thought her shoes were white, but that was just my eyes: on going closer to the tv I realised she had not erred. I was transfixed by her face and expressions the entire early part of the swearing-in oath itself; unfortunately, the camera controller swung left and then cut to a distant group shot (why would he do that?), and I lost continuity. HC-B would not have blown that one; faces of the supporting cast can tell one so much!

However, another lady - no idea who she is - was doing a Carnaby Street Sergeant Pepper. Obviously, she must have been looking for sartorial inspiration in LuLa, and come across my shot of the Spanish lady in the market... other than that, it didn't tell me very much more at all. Maybe there was nothing more to tell.

Always claimed that women in their forties are at their best, and far more interesting than bathing beauties in their late teens and mid-twenties; there's so much more to it than just physics.

To conclude, I'm afraid that I must say that a part of the opposition didn't do itself any favours by staying away from the ceremony; if anything, it made itself look less worthy than the man it opposed. You can't knock somebody for not being 'presidential' enough, and then make an ass of yourself too by disowning protocol and good manners.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: 20th January, 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:12:49 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »

For my American friends and family - I have a couple of rooms for rent cheap.
Come to Australia where the concept of living minimum wages, gun control and universal healthcare are not quite the disaster the neo-cons would have you believe.  8)

Sorry that cricket is so dead boring, and AFl makes no sense, but you can't have everything..  ;D

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 11:18:34 pm »

I have to confess that I'd been a teeny bit concerned, but I shouldn't have been: Melania looked absolutely exquisite and regal in a fabulously understated shade of blue! At first I'd thought her shoes were white, but that was just my eyes: on going closer to the tv I realised she had not erred. I was transfixed by her face and expressions the entire early part of the swearing-in oath itself; unfortunately, the camera controller swung left and then cut to a distant group shot (why would he do that?), and I lost continuity. HC-B would not have blown that one; faces of the supporting cast can tell one so much!

I agree. Melania and her Ralph Lauren outfit saved the day.

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 03:03:47 am »

Yep, that will certainly be a big compensation for the folks who find themselves without medical insurance.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 07:05:38 am »

Yep, that will certainly be a big compensation for the folks who find themselves without medical insurance.

Hardly Mrs T's fault now, is it? Why so bitter?

The so-called underclass is ever with us, always will be. It's a direct result of breeding where breeding was not the sensible economic choice to have made. You overfill schools, streets and neighbourhoods with kids with half a parental influence - at best - and what can you expect? There's no encouragement for study at home, if there is even a home, and so the snowball grows. People create their own mess in so many different and insidious ways, which every single one of us breathing can verify if we just look back at our own mistakes and see them for what they are: our own fault. Of course, we all feel so much better holding up placards and shifting the blame str¡dently onto other shoulders. But, deep down inside, we still know, don't we?

Frankly, I thought Mr T was not cut out for politics because of confrontational tendencies, but in today's world, where nothing seems to make political sense, perhaps he will turn out to be a breath of fresh air.

I can also say that watching the street demonstrations against him fills me with a sense of shame that I suspect many Americans must feel - and I'm not an American. Some people gather around simplistic slogans and question nothing. Just like some third world people, then: follow blindly and hate. Within the U.S. system, he won. Period.

Health insurance. Depends on the system in place in your country. I have experienced both: for years I paid private health insurance and, for a while (in Spain), when I was already eligible for state insurance, continued to pay for private and it seved us well; then in an emergency we discovered that the state version was just as effective with the only difference being that patients had to share a room with another person. Even the docs share their time between the two systems. However, there comes a time when you no longer work, that you can't keep up with inflation if the banks don't pay interest on your savings and so you can't do what you once could, and then everything changes in your life, and you have to depend on the state for emergencies that will always arrive to say hi!

Now, some think that the state's health system is free, that anyone using it is a scrounger; not so, you do contribute to the health system all your working life, just as if you were paying into a private scheme. Where the Brit one seems to go awry is that it's too broad in its application, and covers all sorts of items that are not essential to life or death, and so it becomes abused.

I think that one way of striking a better balance would be to have an earnings point where it became mandatory for the person to buy private insurance simply because he can then afford it. If social security help is supposed to be there in order to help those who need help, a lifeboat, if you will, then those who do not need financial help, but simply need medical attention for which they can afford to pay private insurance, that's what they should do. Still contributing to the national system - hardly a puntive sum of money - would guarantee that come the time they retire and may no longer be able afford private insurances, they will not be left to die on the street either, just because they did well for some years.

Rob

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:04:51 am »

There are many reasons that Trump is getting a very mixed reception and many are unrelated to healthcare. For instance, anyone with a notion that our shared environment needs any protecting would be extremely unhappy with all of his cabinet choices. They would also be unhappy with many of his statements, such as "The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive." Many are also unhappy about the large conflicts of interest sprinkled throughout his entire administration. Others are bitter about him publicly challenging the legitimacy of Obama's presidency and U.S. Citizenship for over 5 years and now expecting everyone to accept the legitimacy of his presidency. I would take a wild guess that today's events have more to do with many statements by him about women and the groping by him alleged by at least 13 different women. Frankly, one tends to get back what they give in life, and some people are reacting to Trump more or less as he has reacted to others. If I were more religious I might put some biblical quote here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:08:02 am by DeanChriss »
- Dean

jeremyrh

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 11:49:42 am »

Not at all bitter, Rob. Just commenting that Mrs Trump's outfits are possibly of less importance than her husband's plans to prevent millions of Americans from obtaining health care.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »

Not at all bitter, Rob. Just commenting that Mrs Trump's outfits are possibly of less importance than her husband's plans to prevent millions of Americans from obtaining health care.

I just penned you a full reply and then suffered a ten-second power cut and lost the lot. I simply have not the will left to rewrite. Nothing to do with your post, just with my tumbling dedication to online bullshit.

;-)

Rob

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 01:39:25 pm »

Yes, Mrs. Trump (who ironically entered the country illegally some years back to do a modeling gig) did look radiant.  I suspect that had not Trump won the election she would have left him as she appeared to be fed up with his antics.  She will head back to Manhattan after this weekend and will only be seen sporadically in the White House.  I don't know what type of pre-nuptial agreement she signed but she looks less than interested in being first lady.  There were some comparisons with Jackie Kennedy in the papers today but she would have to go along way to enjoy the same popularity as Jackie O (hope she doesn't have to experience the tragedy).  I worry about her son who looks as if he has some type of disaffection disorder.

Regarding health insurance, Obamacare has worked for each of my daughters who are independent contractors and do not have access to corporate insurance policies.  They are not alone as many of their millenial colleagues are in the same position.  Without Obamacare they would be paying much more for less coverage.  I sometimes wonder whether Republican members of Congress realize this.  Perhaps all their children are on the fast road to success in various corporations.  I think there are probably a number of LuLa members in the US who are independent workers as well.  Do they not enjoy the benefits of Obamacare?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 02:10:03 pm »

Jeremy,

thank you for elaborating this point. Just to let you know, it was meant with tongue in cheek. From Canada With Love!
I know some people need to see those funny yellow circles at the end of the sentence, but they were enough insults dished out on that day, so I didn't want to add any more.

True, the money for that gorgeous Melania's outfit could have been spent better for an open-heart surgery or two, but how did you like it?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:22:14 pm by LesPalenik »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 08:22:01 pm »

Regarding health insurance, Obamacare has worked for each of my daughters who are independent contractors and do not have access to corporate insurance policies.  They are not alone as many of their millenial colleagues are in the same position.  Without Obamacare they would be paying much more for less coverage.  I sometimes wonder whether Republican members of Congress realize this.  Perhaps all their children are on the fast road to success in various corporations.  I think there are probably a number of LuLa members in the US who are independent workers as well.  Do they not enjoy the benefits of Obamacare?

This argument for the ACA always annoys me. 

Long before the ACA was even being dreamed up, I bought health insurance independently on the open market without any difficulties from a local health insurance agent I happened to meet while networking.  I am an independent contractor and did not have access to group plans.   

The plan did not have a life time limit and I only paid roughly $146 per month when I was 26 years old. 

Now that plan did not have a drug prescription program, but then again I was young without any significant health problems and only got sick about once a year.  Typically my prescriptions while I was sick cost roughly $12, so paying the additional $100+ dollars per month to add on the drug prescription did not make sense, a decision I came to. 

I was also responsible to pay for the first $4000 per year in medical costs that went beyond doctor visits, such as operations.  The rest was covered after that.  Some may look at that $4000 figure and balk, but, personally, if you don't have a few grand in the bank, that is the result of your inadequate planning and saving.  If I wanted to, I could have opted to have this out of pocket cost lowered, but that would add on an additional $100+ per month.  However, in 3 years time, I would have paid $4000 extra for a service I most likely would not have used, so what was the point? 

Additionally, it did not include screening for prostate cancer and other end of life ailments, but once again why pay for it if I don't need it at my age. 

To say that it would be impossible for a young healthy individual to find adequate coverage without the ACA is just a cop out, and something I know to be very possible. 

(Yes, I know the preexisting condition argument, but that could have been taken care in a much less invasive manner.) 

Since the ACA has been put in place, I have seen my options go down significantly and I am now forced to pay for services which I will not use for at least another 15 years. 

Additionally, it is growing more and more obvious that the program is going to fail regardless.  The system was designed to rely on the most tragically unreliable group of people in the country, namely 20 years olds.  Most don't think bad things can happen to them, so why pay for insurance?  The rest (26 or younger) are covered by their parents' insurance (a requirement of the law), which means they will not be contributing to the system either.  And the handful remaining who actually give a damn enough to fork over their money, well it is just not enough to offset the cost of the old and sick and prevent a death spiral from taking over, which has already started. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:50:56 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

BobDavid

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 10:18:51 pm »

I have preexisting chronic medical issues. My wife's COBRA is about to run out. ... Even with our current plan, a significant amount of our household income goes to healthcare.

I have no idea what to expect regarding the future of healthcare in the US. It's been broken for decades. Undoubtedly, many benefit from the ACA. If the current administration and congress are able to come up with something better, that'll be fine.

I like LuLa. It brings people together. It's an international community of photographers. I hope politics will not spoil the fun.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:27:51 pm by BobDavid »

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »

Yes, Mrs. Trump (who ironically entered the country illegally some years back to do a modeling gig) did look radiant.  I suspect that had not Trump won the election she would have left him as she appeared to be fed up with his antics.  She will head back to Manhattan after this weekend and will only be seen sporadically in the White House.  I don't know what type of pre-nuptial agreement she signed but she looks less than interested in being first lady.  There were some comparisons with Jackie Kennedy in the papers today but she would have to go along way to enjoy the same popularity as Jackie O (hope she doesn't have to experience the tragedy).  I worry about her son who looks as if he has some type of disaffection disorder.

So are they pay much  less because someone else...the taxpayers...is picking up the a big part of the tab via subsidies?   I am required to pay the full price myself.  I can only speak for myself.  My priemums are 2k a month for my wife and myself, and I'm forced onto the marketplace with only one company to choose from.  It wa not this way pre Obamacare and the plans were better and cheaper.  What I'm paying for is mostly useless with over 10 deductibles and 14k out of pocket.  Obamacare is worthless.  Ymmv.
Craig Lamson Photo

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 05:15:33 am »

I like LuLa. It brings people together. It's an international community of photographers. I hope politics will not spoil the fun.

Already started in a sense - withdrawal of National Endowment for the Arts funding will not help artists of any sort.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 06:05:36 am »

Already started in a sense - withdrawal of National Endowment for the Arts funding will not help artists of any sort.

(Hoping my power supply doesn't cut.)

That's a basic problem with artists: we are on an ego trip, pure and simple, and some of us expect the rest of society to finance us through it. I disagree: if we can't cut it, then back to the drawing board (ironically enough) and do something with which we can pay our way.  Society at large owes us zilch. What we do is because we like to do it. There is no entitlement. IMO the more tax money spent on the arts, as such, the more the top jobs magnify in benefits for the incumbents. 'Starving artists' will still starve, but mainly through their own fault. I wouldn't pay tuppence to subsidise some con artist (?) who builds a room with an electric light going on and off, on and off, and calls that art. That this specific cat may need no subsidy is neither here not there: but, you get a sense of the value of much so-called art from the dross that gets space to show. And you want tax dollars to fund similar crap? Be real, please.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 11:45:22 am »

Rob

Hi Rob,

You have to understand that these people didn't just THINK Hillary was going to win. They were assured of it. It was something like Moses receiving the Ten Commandments. Hillary's coronation as the first female president was written in stone on tablets handed down to the DNC by Obama himself. They can't get over the fact that their religion turned out to be false.

And I can't understand why. You really have to bury your head in the sand to miss the fact that people outside the largest U.S. cities are fed up with the PC crap and the arrogance of the people who were "leading" the country. Shortly after the primaries were over I got an email from a longtime friend who expressed his delight that Hillary would be our next president. I wrote back and told him that Trump would blow her out of the water. Instead of discussing the question he replied that maybe we'd better stop writing about politics.

But just because their political god turned out to be false doesn't mean left-wingers are going to stop worshiping him. This crap's gonna go on for a long time to come, and the more windows they break and the more angry women's marches they have the more they're going to convince the rest of the nation that we did the right thing. They're working to make sure it'll be a generation before a Democrat becomes president again. But that's the way it is when religions fail to come through with the gods and the goods.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jeremyrh

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »

But that's the way it is when religions fail to come through with the gods and the goods.

Get back to us when the forgotten folk that Trump appealed to are still forgotten in 4 years time, and no longer have health care, and are joined by a whole lot more folk who lost their jobs when protectionism fails.

BobDavid

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 12:19:12 pm »

Politics, sex, and religion are highly personal and subjective topics. There's enough divisiveness to go around and then some. So, why not save it for the "rantitorial" section? As far as LuLa goes, doesn't that seem like the best place to editorialize and or argue?

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 01:10:41 pm »

Politics, sex, and religion are highly personal and subjective topics. There's enough divisiveness to go around and then some. So, why not save it for the "rantitorial" section? As far as LuLa goes, doesn't that seem like the best place to editorialize and or argue?
+1000.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up