Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D  (Read 105280 times)

Manoli

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2358
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »

...and C1 won't support competing MF cameras, but DCamProf does support Lightroom/ACR DCP-profiles.

At the risk of repeating something that may well have been pointed out before: Iridient also supports ACR/LR DCP profiles - Input Profiles are under the 'color' tab.
Logged

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2017, 10:57:19 pm »

At the risk of repeating something that may well have been pointed out before: Iridient also supports ACR/LR DCP profiles - Input Profiles are under the 'color' tab.

Repetition is essential in teaching - as the french say "Il faut bien caresser un cercle pour qu'il devienne vicieux".

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Stephen Scharf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 168
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 01:36:46 am »

Anyone that would like to download some full-size GFX JPEG or RAW images for viewing can download them here:

GXF Images for download

You can open and save these as TIFFs by using the latest beta version of RawDigger:

RawDigger Beta GFX support

Here's a couple images I downloaded and converted to TIFF, imported to LR and exported as JPEG. Please do not make any assumptions about GFX image quality based on these. I needed to some color temperature correction, and did the best I could to find a neutral gray without a gray card or color checker, so they are likely not perfect with respect to color temperature.

Should give you at least a rough idea about color, though.







I will say looking at these as full-res TIFF files on a 5K Retina iMac is impressive.....
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 01:50:43 am by Stephen Scharf »
Logged

BobShaw

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2272
    • Aspiration Images
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2017, 01:46:03 am »

My entire post here is about color, so that put me right back in the quandary again.
It sounds like we don't have that assertion at this point.
Once you have been here for a while you will realise that the subject has little to do with the discussion after the first page and turns into a points contest about something irrelevant and hypothetical.
Logged
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Stephen Scharf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 168
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 01:47:55 am »

Once you have been here for a while you will realise that the subject has little to do with the discussion after the first page and turns into a points contest about something irrelevant and hypothetical.

Sounds like every photography forum I've ever encountered...just comes with the territory unless the comments are moderated.
Logged

Stephen Scharf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 168
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2017, 02:19:22 am »

Here's a really fast, quick and dirty B&W conversion I did in Silver Efex Pro 2 with the Acros preset....

Logged

BobShaw

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2272
    • Aspiration Images
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2017, 03:06:55 am »

Here's a really fast, quick and dirty B&W conversion I did in Silver Efex Pro 2 with the Acros preset....
that will go at 30,000ft over most peoples' head.
Logged
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:32 am »

At least regarding colours…

Best regards
Erik

that will go at 30,000ft over most peoples' head.
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Chris Livsey

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 807
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2017, 04:34:46 am »

Here's a really fast, quick and dirty B&W conversion I did in Silver Efex Pro 2 with the Acros preset....

Presumably ACROS shot on 10 x 8  ::)
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
I played a little bit with GFX raw images… trying out different profiles
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2017, 05:17:19 am »

Hi,

I have played a bit with GFX raw images. The problem is that there are no colour profiles to use with that camera.

I have extracted the X1D DCP profile from a DNG file exported by Phocus, it was a very simple matrix profile.

I also extracted a DCP profile from an IQ-250 image and an A7rII image using Lightroom export to DNG, these were complete DCP Profiles.

After that I imported the images in RawTherapee and applied each DCP profile and exported the files as 16 bits tiffs.

The tiffs were opened as layers in Photoshop and downsized to 1600 pixels wide.

The image can be downloaded here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/etcetera/GFX1-example_profiles.tif

Open the file in Photoshop and check the effect of different profiles.

Best regards
Erik
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

Michael Erlewine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1040
    • MacroStop.com
Re: I played a little bit with GFX raw images… trying out different profiles
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2017, 05:36:20 am »

Open the file in Photoshop and check the effect of different profiles.


Does anyone have profiles for Photoshop available? I have a set made by Ming Thein that includes a variety of cameras, including the D810, and they seem very good.
Logged
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

razrblck

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 482
  • Chill
    • Instagram
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2017, 06:04:13 am »

Checked out the raw files without any profile. It's hard to tell any major difference with pictures made with the X1D (the ones I can find anyway). Besides the profiles that will be shipped soon with ACR/LR, the lenses should have a much bigger effect on overall colors and scene rendition

This is what a couple of them look like converted to TIFF without any profile or correction.





And this is me just having fun.



Logged
Instagram (updated often)

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: I played a little bit with GFX raw images… trying out different profiles
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2017, 06:15:54 am »

Hi Michael,

My image has three layers processed by different DCP profiles.

Best regards
Erik

Does anyone have profiles for Photoshop available? I have a set made by Ming Thein that includes a variety of cameras, including the D810, and they seem very good.
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2017, 01:33:56 am »

Hi,

I developed a few of the samples using RawTherapee using a dcp profile I extracted rom Hasselblad X1D and A7rII images exported as DNG.

The first image was using a DCP profile exported by Phocus, it is just ColourMatrix really:


The second one is a Sony A7rII DCP profile exported by Lightroom, a much more complex profile, with LUT-tables and all matrices:


I also tested with a profile for the IQ250 and the P45+. There was very little difference. That was a great surprise.

For my taste, the skin tones are a bit pink, but it may depend on the white balance.

Best regards
Erik


Checked out the raw files without any profile. It's hard to tell any major difference with pictures made with the X1D (the ones I can find anyway). Besides the profiles that will be shipped soon with ACR/LR, the lenses should have a much bigger effect on overall colors and scene rendition

Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

one iota

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 74
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:07 am »

Hi,

I developed a few of the samples using RawTherapee using a dcp profile I extracted rom Hasselblad X1D and A7rII images exported as DNG.

The first image was using a DCP profile exported by Phocus, it is just ColourMatrix really:


The second one is a Sony A7rII DCP profile exported by Lightroom, a much more complex profile, with LUT-tables and all matrices:


I also tested with a profile for the IQ250 and the P45+. There was very little difference. That was a great surprise.

For my taste, the skin tones are a bit pink, but it may depend on the white balance.

Best regards
Erik

There is an obsession with colour (spelt correctly) that is irrelevant when viewed on my Toshiba laptop. So consider the audience and the medium. Preciousness is for the obsessive.

Please tell me how and on what I should view these images to appreciate them.
Logged
Mahn England

Bart_van_der_Wolf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8919
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:05 am »

Hi,

I developed a few of the samples using RawTherapee using a dcp profile I extracted rom Hasselblad X1D and A7rII images exported as DNG.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for taking the time.

Quote
I also tested with a profile for the IQ250 and the P45+. There was very little difference. That was a great surprise.

Yes, it suggests that the Sensors+IR filter+CFA are more similar than they are different.

Cheers,
Bart
Logged
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

eronald

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6689
    • My gallery on Instagram
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2017, 08:11:21 am »

There is an obsession with colour (spelt correctly) that is irrelevant when viewed on my Toshiba laptop. So consider the audience and the medium. Preciousness is for the obsessive.

Please tell me how and on what I should view these images to appreciate them.

Interestingly, my iPad Pro allows me to pass the Xrite test with a perfect score; my laptop doesn't. Try it:

http://www.xrite.com/en/hue-test

Edmund
Logged
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Bart_van_der_Wolf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8919
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:39 am »

There is an obsession with colour (spelt correctly) that is irrelevant when viewed on my Toshiba laptop. So consider the audience and the medium. Preciousness is for the obsessive.

Please tell me how and on what I should view these images to appreciate them.

A color-managed display, preferably a wide gamut one will help to display the colors as they were intended. Whether you'll appreciate them is a different subject (has to do with personal preferences and color vision). What the subject of the thread is about is the 'color look' of a brand's profiles, and if the 'look' is significant/relevant when we are able to adjust it with profiles.

BTW the etymology of the word colour, is that it comes from the Latin word colōr, then from the Anglo-French (French couleur) it turned into Middle English 'colour' in 1250-1300. So it's only spelled correctly when you are a Brit. And while we're at it, 'spelt' and 'spelled' are both correct in British English, although 'spelled' is increasingly more popular since the 1850's, even in British English since the 1970's . ;)

Cheers,
Bart
Logged
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hubell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1136
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2017, 09:46:28 am »

"Colour" is not a reason to select or reject either of these cameras.  Both will give you the raw materials to produce virtually any result you are able to achieve in your chosen post-pro workflow.  The Hasselblad *may* need Phocus to extract the best from the file.  But even then I am skeptical if that makes much difference. 
- N.

I suppose in theory this is true. However, unless you are conversant with color profiling and are willing to learn how to use DCAM Pro (or something similar) to develop a custom profile for the GFX that meets your needs, I think the best approach here is to buy what works. Demo the GFX and shoot a bunch of files under your normal shooting conditions and process them in Lightroom or ACR with the available profiles and see how easy or difficult is is to achieve what you want. Then, do the same with the X1D in LR and Phocus. Buy what works now for you, not on the come as to what MAY be possible to achieve or on the basis of what someone tells you is "beautiful" color or skin tones. I am interested in both the X1D and the GFX, and that's how I am approaching it.

Michael Erlewine

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1040
    • MacroStop.com
Re: Color with the Fuji GFX as Compared to the Hasselblad X1D
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »

As the OP, what Bart said is correct. I have to choose either the X1D or the GFX without being able to have both cameras side-by-side, which would mean paying for both of them, even for a time. I can't afford that. So, of course, with that kind of investment on the line, I would like to determine if the two cameras are roughly equivalent. Perhaps others will do this and I can learn from them.
Logged
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up