Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alone  (Read 2354 times)

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Alone
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:17:44 am »

Foggy mornings always provide interesting backdrops.
Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:52:22 am »

"How far out can I wade before I need to find out if I really can swim?"   :D
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Alone
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:56:48 pm »

It's surreal and minimalist. Not often one sees a silver-grey water scene with a glow. Must be the water reflecting the fog and light trying to break through.

JR
Logged

brianrybolt

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Re: Alone
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »

I'de like it more without the land.  Great light.

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: Alone
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:31:44 pm »

I'de like it more without the land.  Great light.
+1
I suspect it's already cropped though

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
Re: Alone
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 03:00:02 pm »

I'de like it more without the land.  Great light.

Wholly without would lose context, which would be a shame. A bit less land might work, though. Not that it's at all bad as it stands.

Jeremy
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »

I don't want anything cropped. It's perfect just the way it is.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 07:04:33 pm »

+200

And you need the land.

It's a fine shot, Chris.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Alone
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »

I tend to lean towards "less is more." I'm in favor of losing the land. That way the egret is truly alone: spatially, symbolically, and existentially.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:48:13 pm by BobDavid »
Logged

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Alone
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:50 pm »

The space around the bird is very important, as is the relative size of all the elements. Not sure it would work with bird alone, as he would then become very small in the picture space. But if the bird were larger, I would agree with Bob. However, one could crop out the grassy area of the sand bar leaving behind light sand, adjust the opposite space to retain proportion, and thus preserve the existing relationships and be just a touch more minimalist. (Edit) But then you would lose the greater proportion of the sand bar. Maybe leave it alone!

JR
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:06:52 pm by John R »
Logged

Tony Jay

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2965
Re: Alone
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 10:15:25 pm »

I think that if the sandbar is cropped out then this image loses balance and context.
The bird, by itself, is not enough to carry this image.
Some of the suggestions might work if the bird had a lot more detail.

As it stands it works!

Tony Jay
Logged

brandtb

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 972
    • http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:46:51 am »

Beautiful image

Logged
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 07:59:42 am »

The croppers are always at it.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3539
  • Editing Allowed
Re: Alone
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 09:40:44 am »

As with any image I or likely anyone else posts, most every aspect of the image is examined for the vision of the maker. I tried just about every suggested crop: land spit, no land, solo Egret, enlarging Egret, etc., but in the end what I saw in the viewfinder and what made me make the exposure was exactly what you see on the screen. While I appreciate the suggestions, in the end as suggested by several including Tony Jay and Russ, no crop works best for my vision. Cheers.
Logged
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2809
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Alone
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:45 am »

I tend to lean towards "less is more." I'm in favor of losing the land. That way the egret is truly alone: spatially, symbolically, and existentially.

+1 - But not as a crop. Hopefully Chris shot a second frame turned slightly to the right to exclude the land. Now that would make a fine image with lots of negative space to do as BobDavid says.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Patricia Sheley

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
Re: Alone
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 01:00:36 pm »

"Could I really be the only one patiently salivating over this luscious morsel?"
Logged
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Alone
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 02:46:09 pm »

That is truly tasty, Patricia!
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up