Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I1 Photo Pro 2 print of test chart  (Read 3344 times)

jaramd

I1 Photo Pro 2 print of test chart
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:59:10 pm »

So I just calibrated my iMac display using the I1 with D50, Gamma at 1.8, and luminance at 120.  Compared to the default imac profile it is a bit more of a yellow cast on the whites and not as bright.  This is as I expected.

I then tried to create an icc profile for Epson Enhanced Matte Paper on my Canon Pro-4000 printer.  Via the I1 Profiler, I printed a chart of 400 patches that only roughly matches the colors on the screen.  After waiting an hour, I scanned the chart with the spectro.. everything went fine until I tried to save the icc profile where I received an error stating that the colors did not match closely enough (I didn't write down the exact wording)..

So, questions:
1.  Does the I1 profiler print directly to the printer without any color management?
2.  Are there any settings in the printer driver that I need to adjust for the chart of patches?
3.  Any other ideas or helpful suggestions... ???

Thanks, Joe

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: I1 Photo Pro 2 print of test chart
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »

Firstly, on your monitor calibration, you may be better off with L* or 2.2 gamma setting. Test it and see if you get a better screen to print match - but not for profiling targets - read on. Secondly, when printing with matte media especially, unless you are can use a softproof with full paper simulation activated, you will not see a proper screen to print match. This is not possible with i1Profiler, and in any case not really necessary for printing profiling targets. Thirdly, i1Profiler does not necessarily play nicely with the new line of Canon Pro printers for printing profiling targets. You would be best advised to use Canon's Print Studio Pro Plugin with "No Color Correction" selected in its color settings, and select the chart with 2033 patches. This should provide a target that the spectro will read and the software will convert to a profile successfully.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:24:42 pm »

Mark,

What are the issues with printing charts directly from I1Profiler? I've been considering getting one of the new Canon or Epson printers for my smaller prints but really don't like going through anything other than Photoshop and the OEM drivers and have not yet had a problem doing so. But then I only use Windows so haven't seen some of the issues that seem to pop up from time to time with Apples. Is this an Apple specific issue?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »

Hi Doug,

I left the Windows world in 2010 and have done nothing there since then, so not having tested the making of profiling targets with a Windows OS I can't say for sure whether the issue is confined to Mac OSX or applies to both. In the recent versions of OSX and Canon printer drivers for the Pro series printers, the best way of assuring the most accurate profiling is to print the profiling targets through Canon's Plugin Print Studio Pro with "No Color Controls" set in the Color Management section. This plugin comes as accompanying software with the printers, works from within Photoshop and does a good job for this purpose. You would have no trouble mastering it in a jiffy.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:49:15 pm »

Thanks Mark,

I just have an aversion to using anything like add-ons. I don't even often use I1Profiler's direct printing but save the tiffs and print them using Photoshop by assigning an arbitrary output profile. That let's me put all my scan pages on a relatively thin sheet on the 9800. I do print directly on my small printer. I'll do the same when I eventually upgrade the smaller one and keep in mind your experience if issues arise. I always check with a spectro any new printer to make sure things work correctly.

Cincinnati

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »

The std for monitors, and especially for Macs , used to be gamma 1.8. But with current technology, that has been updated to 2.2.  I used to use 1.8/D50 but now find 2.2/D65 is much closer. It will help with the yellowing too. 

i1Profile is supposed to turn off color management. It does in my Epson settings.

The target colors on screen will not match. I import grayscale targets into my iMac. The display is profiled weekly with the i1Pro2, but i1Profiler displays these with a definitely substantial cyan cast. Not sure why that is, b/c my neutrals appear very close to neutral in other apps. The targets read with matching RGB values.

As for any other suggestions, make sure you have the corrrect selections made in every step of the i1 profiler.

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 10:20:39 pm »

The std for monitors, and especially for Macs , used to be gamma 1.8. But with current technology, that has been updated to 2.2.  I used to use 1.8/D50 but now find 2.2/D65 is much closer. It will help with the yellowing too. 

i1Profile is supposed to turn off color management. It does in my Epson settings.

The target colors on screen will not match. I import grayscale targets into my iMac. The display is profiled weekly with the i1Pro2, but i1Profiler displays these with a definitely substantial cyan cast. Not sure why that is, b/c my neutrals appear very close to neutral in other apps. The targets read with matching RGB values.

As for any other suggestions, make sure you have the corrrect selections made in every step of the i1 profiler.

A couple items. If you are using a color managed app like Photoshop, Lightroom, etc your images should look exactly the same whether gamma was set at 1.8, 2.2, Lstar. Assuming your image is in a working space like Adobe RGB, sRGB, or ProPhoto. Gamma was important in the old days when workflow wasn't color managed. However, for applications that are not color managed gamma settings can alter the contrast an color saturation. Choose whatever looks good but 2.2 is probably the closest to what people use but Lstar provides the smoothest neutrals from dark to  light as it has a long linear ramp on the front end then switches to a very high gamma (3) and averages a bit over 2.2 because of the ramp.

As for I1Profiler's colors, what colors are you referring to? I1Profiler charts are in untagged RGB and applied directly to the printer driver. At best the color they are on screen is a rough estimate.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:27:57 pm by Doug Gray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up