Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light  (Read 2851 times)

camera109

Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:22:30 pm »

Hi Everyone,
I am  travelling to India with a Mamiya 6 film camera and I'm going to be photographing some smaller historic buildings (all exterior shots). Mostly they will be houses set in small garden spaces. I wanted to ask if anyone has used flash to give just a "kiss of light" to part of the subject area if the ambient light is rather flat or the area of interest is in shade. I'll be travelling light with just a canon 580EX flash and maybe a couple of pocket wizards for remote triggering, a small light stand and maybe one of those push on mini soft boxes. As I'm using film, I'll be using a sekonic L-558 light meter to measure the flash at the place where I want to direct it. I've seen some examples of flash used in this way on real estate photography sites of - lots of it fairly cheesy it has to be said - and I wondered if anyone might have some tips for a subtler approach? Thanks

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »

I have actually begun using these a lot.  They are small and light, what you see is what you get, and you can tune them to daylight or tungsten.  It comes with a slide in gel.

https://www.manfrotto.us/nbsp-6ae5ed

It's the micropro2 led light. 

Seeing the effect of the light and being able to adjust.  I use these for a lot of architectural light painting too.  Also great for portraits!
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

damntall

• Crash Course Camera
Re: Flash to give 'Kiss of light' to architecture in dull light
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 01:23:45 pm »

A little light kissing never hurt anyone. :-)
Cheers!

Bryan Wright
Founder, Crash Course Camera

"Whether you think you can or can't... either way, you're right." - Henry Ford
Pages: [1]   Go Up