Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: True Confessions: I Walked Into a Microsoft Store  (Read 33590 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
True Confessions: I Walked Into a Microsoft Store
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:21:23 am »

I just published a NEW Rantatorial about my experience recently with a disappointment in Apple and my journey into a Microsoft store. 

https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/true-confessions-walked-microsoft-store/
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: True Confessions: I Walked Into a Microsoft Store
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:13:21 pm »

I was mystified to read that anyone could blow $400 on dongles. All is not lo$t at Apple.

rogan

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:18 pm »

I just published a NEW Rantatorial about my experience recently with a disappointment in Apple and my journey into a Microsoft store. 

https://luminous-landscape.com/rantatorial/true-confessions-walked-microsoft-store/

I agree Kevin. Tried to read your post but way too long, sorry. I too checked out the surface pro and loved it. But the thought of a new formatting system for hard drives is too much to deal with for one cool new device in 25 years. They are suddenly on my radar though. I'm guessing we see something soon from Apple in the redesigned iMac. And Apple will soon announce they invented the touch screen and it will be amazing.

gagemanning

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 12:33:47 pm »

Kevin,

I have to admit I've walked into the Microsoft store more than a few times and I have even purchased the Surface 3 and then eventually a surface book.  I was hoping for great things but like always, the stuff just doesn't work consistently.  I purchased the surface book for work and it constantly locks up, won't turn on or takes 20 minutes to finally turn on.  I've never ever had this problem with any of my Macs. 

Last, I also own Apple's new MacBook Pro 15" and I have actually grown accustom to it.  I wish it had a little more horsepower and definitely more ram (I would trade that for battery life).  Hopefully this year will be the year that we see those changes.

gage

gkroeger

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:54:38 pm »

I too have walked into Microsoft stores and there are neat hardware items.... but I have administered academic computing labs for 30 years, and maintain an entire department of mixed Macs and Windows machines.  The issue isn't a frolic in the Microsoft store, or even a few dates with Windows 10.  It's living with Windows 10 that makes one long for macOS.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:45:53 pm by gkroeger »

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:29:29 pm »

In an earlier life, working for co-ops, I 'computerized' operations using DOS machines and DOS software (WordPerfect, dBase, QuattroPro, and such). I do my accounting on a circa 1992 DOS machine with 640k of ram, and an amazing accounting program called NewViews. Way back then, I purchased the very first version of Windows, did not like it and that was it. My spouse, who teaches at a college, uses a windows machine, and runs into frequent troubles, such as Windows 10 installing itself without permission and causing umpteen problems that were resolved over many hours and reverting to an earlier version; and just two days ago some application installed itself and disabled the keyboard, took me a while to fix that for her. My older MacPro desktop runs just fine and would have remained my main system if I had not purchased a P600 printer and upgraded LR, neither of which can run on the oder OS, so a new 27" iMac is now the main system. I had a glitch or two when seeing up connections to peripherals and the Apple Care people called within minutes and helped me solve the issues. So, for me it is DOD 3.1 and MacOS  :)
Jean-Michel

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 01:37:59 pm »

That new Surface desktop does look slick but what I don't like (besides the half-baked implementations you observed) is what makes it relatively mac-like and what I don't care for with the mac ecosystem. It's an all-in-one system as far as I can tell and that makes it expensive and hard (or impossible) to tinker/upgrade/fix for computer guys like me. If they could just put all of that interface stuff into the monitor and let me have my box under the desk that I can tune and rebuild as I see fit I would be much more interested. I just hate being locked in so that one day if I long for a faster CPU I have to get a whole new system instead of being able to buy and install a new CPU (or RAM, HD, motherboard, etc) myself. ALl that flexibility does have its drawbacks with driver issues, incompatibility, and the uncertainty of the DIY realm. But that is where I feel comfortable so I'll just keep my Windows system going as I have done in the past, using inexpensive parts that were the latest thing last year and feeling pretty satisfied with it.
Windows 10 has been stable for me with my only BSODs (Blue Screen Of Death) happening when I had some serious hardware issues that wound up being related to a failing fan.
-MattB

Alistair

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »

I do not understand the infatuation some people develop with the Apple brand. Certainly Apple make some very nice high end consumer electronics. We have a few in our household. Along with Android and MS products. Sometimes their products are better than their competitors'. Often not. But the adolescent besottment the author spouts in this article is an embarrassment. And the childish denigration of competitors is distasteful.
Alistair

Sophia

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »

Unfortunately Tim Cook runs Apple like a regular business guy - he cares about the stock price and pays attention to what the analysts are criticizing, he broadens the product offererings to go after the customers who can't afford Apple, he tries to compete on specs and price, etc.  All that means is the usual tech world race to the bottom and we are seeing those results.

Apple desperately needs another guy with a Vision, who has the confidence/arrogance to completely ignore all the experts and the railings of the stock analysts and Engadget spec 'reviews', has the ability to say no to (maybe profitable) distractions, and the icy heartlessness to punish failures and demand the impossible.   

Of course, anyone possessing those attributes is unlikely to be working their way up inside any large corporation, even Apple.  People like that are generally disruptive, hard to get along with, and are viewed as trouble makers and ne'er-do-wells by bosses and peers.  Even if Apple found the next Jobs in someone's garage in Palo Alto, they'd never let someone like that come in and make rash decisions now.

Maybe companies only get to be Apple (or Microsoft or Google or Facebook) for one lifetime before they inevitably turn into IBM or GE.
Sophia

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 02:27:44 pm »

Alistair, that is why what I wrote it as a rantatorial.  Try walking into both stores and see what your experience is.  I openly admit  I am Apple fan and why.  Point is Microsoft caught my attention.  If they had done a few things different they may have gotten me.   
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

pearlstreet

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:00:34 pm »

I use a pc with windows 10. It has never locked up or crashed. I like my iphone and ipad but I can get more bang for my buck with a pc.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 03:58:23 pm »

I use a pc with windows 10. It has never locked up or crashed.

I have a similar experience, even with Windows 7. I think it has little to do with PC's or Windows OS as such.

There may have been some application software related issues (I experiment plenty), but then the choice is usually much larger in that department as well. When I read all those reports about people experiencing hanging computers and crashes, I guess I should feel very specially privileged, it never happens with me. Maybe it has to do with me using ever fewer Adobe applications ..., although Photoshop CS6 extended is used almost daily.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 04:04:12 pm »

Kevin, I just want you to know, that using Microsoft kit doesn't mean you're a bad person. Misguided, maybe, but not bad  ;)

8030rl

• My images
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:04 pm »

Similarly to Sharon I haven't been experiencing any issues with Windows machines. Not in a long time. Many years ago using Windows was often frustrating but since Windows 7 release it's been a smooth sailing. As far as Mac is concerned, it's a mixed bag in my opinion. I have quite a lot of their products: several iPads (love them), iPhones (just ok, use them every day), various iPods (loved particularly the Nano before it gave up the ghost), and a MacMini. The latter is often very frustrating. I think that the perception that MacOS is intuitive is just a myth. Once you use it every day, I'm sure it is fine, like any other product, but if you are only an occasional user, trying to figure out how to do things is infuriating at times.

My point is that those are just tools. Each system has its strengths and weaknesses. Both are built on completely different philosophies: a closed system with little regard for backward compatibility developed by Apple versus a much more open and flexible platform (with a whole slew of quirks and issues caused by that) from Microsoft. Both will do the job. It's a bit like Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony vs. whatever ... No point of arguing. No point of disparaging one over the other. Just use what you like. In the end it is not about the tools. It is about the joy of making photographs  :)  Cheers. R.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »

Thanks Bill,  The point I was trying to make is MS actually is making some cool products now.  Apple seems to be stuck.  That disappoints me.  The whole concept of the big tiltable desktop screen is really cool.   This new computer doesn't ship until March I am told.  Maybe by then, they will upgrade the processors and a few other things and the software will be more mature.  The MS Store people need to do better too.  They left me standing there by myself for quite some time.  Then when someone did come over I don't feel they were fully briefed on the computer's operation.  And, why didn't they know where the Adobe login information was.  I really wanted to see this machine running Photoshop.  So, in the end, I hope Apple has taken notice and begins to show some brilliance again.  While it might take a lot to make me switch there is an innovative product that will make my work easier and more efficient I just might crossover.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:06 pm »

Until Apple finally (if ever) integrates macOS and iOS into oneOS, I will continue to be intrigued by the MS Surface Pro. A colleague of mine has been successfully using a 3 for about a year now with all the same apps one would run on a desktop. It would be nice to be running a proper OS on a tablet rather than the handcuffed version offered via iOS. As it is, iOS and macOS still fight over fonts and formatting, which is reminiscent of the old Windows-Mac problems of 15 years ago. Really? Within the same, rather progressive company? And I can only run diminished versions of macOS apps in iOS. I sometimes feel like I'm putting on training wheels in iOS to do what can be done in macOS.

Yes, I, too am frustrated with Apple's recent lack of innovation.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:18 pm »

I will also admit I don't get why people are so in love with Apple. I do use iPads though.

I was quite tempted to use just a Macbook Pro as my only system (instead of laptop+desktop) but then I recall my experience with a Macbook pro from few years ago. I tried to copy some photos and videos from a SD card to an external drive. Simple, right? Well for one the finder (or how it's called, the explorer equivalent) was not that intuitive and for reasons unclear to me it only copied some of the photos while leaving the others behind. If a system that people are in awe with cannot do this simple task what else it has issues with?
I get it it's just one experience but I've used other systems (quite a lot of Linux many years ago) and never had issues with this basic stuff.

Windows works well and outside of some hardware related crashes on my desktop (likely related to the video card) I've had no problems with it for quite some years now (starting with Win7).
The windows laptops narrowed and probably closed the performance and style gap that used to be. Are they perfect? No, but neither is an Apple. For most people changing the ecosystem is not worth it at this point.

On a related note my wife has the Surface pro 3 for more than a year now. She seems to be happy with it; for my uses it's not perfect though (a little too much fan, a little too little battery and the most annoying just one USB port).
I have a Hp Spectre x360 and these tablets 2in1 are something that Apple can't touch (pun intended).
For travel, a 2.8 lbs 13" 2in1 touchscreen with a Kaby Laby i7, 512 PCI-E SSD and 16 GB  is more than enough. Battery of 6-8 hours. Even the price is ok at under 1300$. Works fine with Lightroom, didn't bother yet with Photoshop.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:20 am »

Until Apple finally (if ever) integrates macOS and iOS into oneOS, I will continue to be intrigued by the MS Surface Pro. A colleague of mine has been successfully using a 3 for about a year now with all the same apps one would run on a desktop. It would be nice to be running a proper OS on a tablet rather than the handcuffed version offered via iOS. As it is, iOS and macOS still fight over fonts and formatting, which is reminiscent of the old Windows-Mac problems of 15 years ago. Really? Within the same, rather progressive company? And I can only run diminished versions of macOS apps in iOS. I sometimes feel like I'm putting on training wheels in iOS to do what can be done in macOS.

Yes, I, too am frustrated with Apple's recent lack of innovation.

I tried to make an iPad Mini work as a photo travel solution and it failed. Just not practical, apps are not that good for photos, and way under powered.
So I got an older i5 Surface Pro and put Lightroom on it and while it is not a speed demon it is usable and small and runs the same OS I'm used to (Win10).
I've even developed 40 MP files from my 645D. The iPad could never do that. The stylus is nice too as is the option to just use your finger. Good traveler without being big or expensive.
-MattB

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 04:01:33 am »

Hi,

I am an Apple freak, too. Also, I am a Linux freak.

But, I can buy a decent PC with a core i7 processor for perhaps 1.2 k$US or 3+ k$US for an Apple product.

Spent a bit to much on gear lately, and I rather spend money on travel than on computers.

So, yes, I am considering moving to Windows.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 08:46:15 am »

Hi,

I am an Apple freak, too. Also, I am a Linux freak.

But, I can buy a decent PC with a core i7 processor for perhaps 1.2 k$US or 3+ k$US for an Apple product.

Spent a bit to much on gear lately, and I rather spend money on travel than on computers.

So, yes, I am considering moving to Windows.

Best regards
Erik
And that i7 in the PC will be two Intel processor generations newer than the one in the Mac Pro
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up