Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal  (Read 1078 times)

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2809
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:45:41 pm »

I've created a folio of photographs of fading painted signs in the Old Port of Montreal.

As a landscape photographer, I'm definitely out of my comfort zone with these, but as I walked along Rue de la Commune, I realized these signs, which were once the mainstay of business, were rapidly disappearing and deserved some kind of preservation. I also loved the colour palette - not my doing, but that of the overcast day and naturally tired colours. Yes, one can reproduce the effect in post-processing, but that's not the case here. I've also included a few architectural details that deserved air time. I've written more on my blog.

I've included a few of the shots below; all 21 of the photographs in the folio may be seen either at my website or my Flickr account.
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2809
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:18:07 pm »

No interest here? Not even a negative? If it's crap, tell me!
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

DougJ

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 73
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »

OK, so I'll bite.  I'm a lurker and I have no photographic authority to speak.

I like the images in so far as I thought, Good on you for a preservation effort.  This took me to thinking, there is editorial value here--stock photography, perhaps; possibly a folio package of ten such images for Old Montreal libraries. 

Best that I can offer, and best to you.

Doug
Logged

Tony Jay

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2965
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 08:16:06 pm »

Terry there is nothing wrong with these images at all.
So, no nits from me.

My only other comment is that they are bit niche - and so may not attract as much interest as other images.
That said, you, of all people, posting images of tired urban architecture should, in and of itself, excite some comment.

Tony Jay
Logged

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18208
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »

Yawn (sorry) :)

James Clark

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2347
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:43 pm »

I adore the concept, but I feel like your approach is losing them in the rubble, so to speak.  I bet there's enough color and texture to fill a frame if you got up close and personal with them, with just a bit of the structure (maybe) for context .
Logged

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2809
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Folio: Vieux Port de Montréal
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:43 pm »

Thanks all. Not meant to be barn-burners, just, as you say Tony, niche. Sorry to wake you Slobodan!  :)
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up