Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: BenQ SW320 Available yet?  (Read 12335 times)

deanwork

BenQ SW320 Available yet?
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:40:57 pm »

Any of you guys worked with the 32" BenQ yet? Or know when they are shipping? i'm thinking about pre-ordering one from BH. I really want one instead of the 27 now that I think about what was discussed last week?

Noticed that on Amazon they are offering a 4 year warranty for $85.00. That is good.

John
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:04:19 pm by deanwork »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: BenQ SW320 Available yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:12 pm »

We should be posting a review on Thursday on this monitor.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 05:23:48 am »

The Benq web site includes this rather interesting photo of a work environment:

http://benqimage.blob.core.windows.net/benq-img/1479354561.jpg

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 08:49:43 am »

Well that man certainly looks like a "pro" doesn't he :- } .

Does anyone know when they are shipping?

The Benq web site includes this rather interesting photo of a work environment:

http://benqimage.blob.core.windows.net/benq-img/1479354561.jpg

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:51 am »

I have been  living with the SW320 for the last few weeks and Kevin has kindly just published my review on LULA.

In short, if you want a UHD wide gamut monitor sub $1500 there is nothing on the market that comes close.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 08:31:44 am »

Thanks a lot Josh, just read the review. Really good job.  Sounds like just what I had hoped to hear.

I plan to buy one, and also a 27", but before I do I want to make sure they work with at least one of my Macs, especially the grahic card compatibility. Because these Macs from 7 to 8 years ago were made so well I am still using them and have no desire to spend 3 grand on a new one  just for making prints.

Do you know how one can find out if our macs and graphic cards are going to function with 4K and this display?

One of my Mac Pros is a quad core from 2009 with a NVDIA Ge Force Gt 120 512 MB graphics card.
The other Mac Pro I have is from 2007 and is an 8 core with a ATI Radeon HD58701024 MB graphics card.

If anyone knows how to check this I'd be really appreciative. I don't want to run this off of my newish PC unless I have to and I need my Mac Book Pro for other things.

John

I have been  living with the SW320 for the last few weeks and Kevin has kindly just published my review on LULA.

In short, if you want a UHD wide gamut monitor sub $1500 there is nothing on the market that comes close.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:12:19 am by deanwork »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:07:35 am »

Is it that much better than the Dell UP3216Q?

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 03:53:55 pm »

If you have older Mac Pros like I do 2007-2009 that work great but have older graphics card be very careful before you lay out money for one of these 4K displays.

I've been online for a couple of hours and I can find any graphics card less than $600.00 that will support them. All the ones that people recommended on these forums seem to be out of stock.

Does anyone have knowledge of finding a suitable graphics card? I have two macs that I want to buy BenQs for.

John

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 07:48:39 pm »

Josh, great job on the review. I've been living with an NEC 241 for too long but just couldn't swallow the Ezio price, so your timing is perfect.

I have yet another graphics card question: You mentioned a late model MBP NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. I have a similar 15" model but with the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. Does anyone know if this will make a noticeable negative difference?

Dave

Josh-H

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:37 am »

Josh, great job on the review. I've been living with an NEC 241 for too long but just couldn't swallow the Ezio price, so your timing is perfect.

I have yet another graphics card question: You mentioned a late model MBP NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB. I have a similar 15" model but with the Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB. Does anyone know if this will make a noticeable negative difference?

Dave

Dave, you should be ok with that card.. but just to be sure, I would recommend trying to hook it up to a 4K display somewhere and testing before purchase.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 06:39:28 am »

Thanks Josh. I'll walk into the local Apple store and plug it into a 5k screen to see how it does in LR and C1.

Dave

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 06:53:42 am »

samueljohnchia

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 08:58:30 am »

The Dell UP3216Q may have a calibration bug... 
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19666103?pi23185=1

Thanks for this. Wow looks pretty serious. Several notable complaints from different people.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
BenQ SW320 Available yet?
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:53 pm »

Tested my MBP and graphics card on the LG 5k at the local Apple Store. No issues with C1 or LR and 100mp images. Took a fraction of a sec to zoom into a clear image at 100%. No real delay in Develop changes.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:38:14 pm »

Yet another case where I'm not very bright  :-\

When I checked which graphics card I have, I was on battery power. the iris pro is the built in GC. I have the same one Josh has NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

Duh.

Dave

Josh-H

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 04:52:22 pm »

Yet another case where I'm not very bright  :-\

When I checked which graphics card I have, I was on battery power. the iris pro is the built in GC. I have the same one Josh has NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB.

Duh.

Dave

LOL - don't worry, I've done things like that....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 12:44:17 pm »

I have just installed a SW320 aside with an Eizo CG 303 on a MacPro running Capitan 10.11.6. I have replaced the already very nice SW2700pt in order to see what this new screen might bring in. Had some troubles running Color Navigator and Palette Master Element at the same time. The best workaround was to start the MacPro without the Eizo/Color Navigator; calibrate the BenQ and then plug the Eizo and run Color Navigator.

First impression: A very nice screen with a very high resolution. On the other hand the 2700 is easier to be combined with the 303 because of a similar resolution (pixel pitch)

However I feel quite unsure for the setting of the blackpoint. Some use "absolute", some "relative" and there is no clear recommendation. I have tried both and prefer "absolute". But when I compare the shadows of the Eizo and of the BenQ, I see a lot more details in there on the 320 than on the 303... Too many? So far I have seen a similar amount of details in the shadows on the 303 as in my prints. Now I feel quite unsure whether the settings are not ok, the calibrator applications interfering or whether this is just a technically logical result of the so called HDR technology...? Any comments on this? What is evident is that the dark black of the 320 is clearly deeper black than in the 303 - due to the different backlight technology. So: go for it - but better do not combine these screens (which is not really necessary in a digital darkroom) and get used to the shadow details. Color Management is 20 % technology and 80 % personal experience ;)

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 02:29:26 am »

Just got an answer from BenQ concerning absolute and relative black:

For absolute black , we recommend to use when edit photo since it can get most big contrast
For relative black , we recommend to use when you have printing demand, as you know the black on the screen is deeper then on the paper, so use this selection will that the calibration result more close to what paper like.

I guess I will stick to relative.

lhodaniel

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 12:41:03 pm »

Does PME allow you to set a specified contrast ratio for relative black?

Lloyd

Rich-J

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »

Video card compatibility.

I sent BenQ a msg asking for a list of compatible cards.  It took them a week to answer.

The answer was "The monitor is compatible with most video cards in the market ..."

I called them to get an answer to my question. Answer, we don't have a list, its up to you to check.

Nice to put the responsibility on the user.

I was told "most of our customers know their equipment's capabilities." Maybe they do but it appears BenQ expects user to take all responsibility. BTW, I do, I have been using computers since 1969.

Richard James.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up