Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Beta  (Read 18087 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
Windows Beta
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 09:26:55 pm »

Too many bugs for my liking although I love the concept.  I think that the Win beta is really #1 not #3.
Until it gets a little better, I'll stick with BBPro, CaptureOne, Bridge and CS2.

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

RAL

• http://
Windows Beta
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 08:35:26 pm »

I have read somewhere that it runs faster on Intel rether than AMD.  Not sure if this us true but its seems to be gaining ground.  Stranger things have happened!

Overall I like what it offers - it just needs som major tweaking in certaina areas (speed being the main one)

I do intend to upgrade my PC soon but as I am not as wealthy as some I cannot afford a top of the range 4GB system to run it on as mentioned!   

I will continue to test  the functions and wait to see what happens on the perfomance side.

JD
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71562\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightroom!

The following comments are in reference to my system and the response using Lightroom Windows Beta 3.

System:
 Dell dimension 8400
Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium® 4CPU, 3.4GHZ
1 GB RAM
Lightroom response as observed on my system:

Lightroom currently contains 17 shoots with over 1000 files.

Import functions:
Import NEF files (approx 8M) from external hard drive utilizing USB 2 results in the following:
Copy files to Lightroom Library-2 to 3 seconds per file.
Copy Photos as DNG – Approximately 2 sec per file.
Reference files in existing location – Approximately 1 sec per file.

Importing CR2 Raw from canon D20 in 100 file batches.

Import from system hard drive results in the following:
Reference files in existing location- Approximately 1 sec per file.
Copy photos as DNG- Approximately 2 sec per file.

Importing PSD files and convert to DNG;
42M PSD to DNG – Approximately 3 sec.

Export the above file as a TIFF- Approximately 1 sec

Library Functions:

Side bar scroll functions as files are being imported.
Mouse wheel appears to wait until import complete before it will function in scrolling.

Develop Functions:

Changing White Balance regardless of method results in approximate 1 to 2 second delay for screen to reflect new figure.

Modifying a file utilizing the remaining functions available in Develop results in changes that occur as fast as I make them.

From the comments I have seen on this forum as well as several others, it would appear that system configuration impacts the performance to a high degree.

James DeMoss

• http://jbdemossphotography.com/aboutus.aspx
Windows Beta
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:28 am »

The beta is stable and the results, so far, are quite impressive. This program is a different approach to image processing and file management then what we have become used to with Adobe. I will buy it for sure, but it of itself, can not do it all... nor do I think it should.

My suggestion is to figure out how you can use it or if you should use it in your digital darkroom

-James

jmccart

Windows Beta
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2006, 09:20:51 am »

Adobe made it very clear where they put their PC customers with respect to this product.  My thanks to all of you who have far more patience than I and have posted info with respect to LR.  I vote with my pocketbook and will use other products.  Thanks to Paul for exposing me to Breeze products.  Right out of the box they have improved my workflow.
Take care, Jerry

MrIconoclast

Windows Beta
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 12:52:41 pm »

I have worked with LR for Windows.  Overall, I like it and think it would make a good contribution to simplifying my workflow.  My system is old and meets only the minimum requriements for LR.  The result is very slow response to just about anything I do.  As a result I am not using it at this time, except to experiment with.    

I look forward to an optimized version and a faster computer to run LR on.  Maybe the Apple version and a new Mac Pro??  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up