Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 AF Lenses VS MF Lenses ?  (Read 2651 times)

wellcome86

Mamiya 645 AF Lenses VS MF Lenses ?
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:51:33 am »

Hello,

I switched now from Analog to Digital, or try too. I have several bodies now for my P65+ back. AFD, AFDIII and the DF+

My question is: Does any one have some experience with the Old AF lenses? ( non D) I have every possible MF "N" lens and I'm considering to maybe update to some AF lenses. But is there some big performance improvement in terms of sharpens and coating between "N" Lenses and the AF Lenses? I can't find anything about the AF Lenses in terms of some lens tests or compare tests in the world wide web. It would be interning. I know the "D" Series is much better, but I still want to be compatible with my film Backs

Thank You for Help

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Mamiya 645 AF Lenses VS MF Lenses ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:19 am »

Hello,

I switched now from Analog to Digital, or try too. I have several bodies now for my P65+ back. AFD, AFDIII and the DF+

My question is: Does any one have some experience with the Old AF lenses? ( non D) I have every possible MF "N" lens and I'm considering to maybe update to some AF lenses. But is there some big performance improvement in terms of sharpens and coating between "N" Lenses and the AF Lenses? I can't find anything about the AF Lenses in terms of some lens tests or compare tests in the world wide web. It would be interning. I know the "D" Series is much better, but I still want to be compatible with my film Backs

Thank You for Help

D lenses are compatible with film. D LS are not.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:57 am »

Back before the D lenses started to be created, and I many of the early D versions were just rebadged 35mm AF versions like the 35mm F 3.5 and possibly the 28mm F 4.5 both of which had versions made by Mamiya long before the Phase One D versions appeared and or the LS versions.  Note the 35mm LS is a totally new design.

Lenses to consider:

35mm F 3.5 most are soft toward edges, but there are a few jewels out there
45mm and 55mm, AF, these did not have a AF/MF ring and are very old in design.  The 45mm is weak, but the 55mm is very sharp and can be found for a bargin now.  On the DF+ you have a MF/AF switch so you can manually focus on the XF this went away so these lenses are problematic if you need to use MF
55-110m might try it, never one of my favorites
105-210mm excellent in most cases, may need a "lens" firmware update which only a dealer can apply to work on your P65 and DF+
210mm great lens, period again may need firmware.  It's lightweight and smaller than the 105-210.  Has a problematic hood that over time will not stay
   locked when closed.
75-150mm AF get one if you need this focal range, again may need lens firmware, excellent lens, light weight and optically stunning. 
300mm can be found for around 1K, now, will give you a lot of range if needed lens body is white.
150mm, there was an older non AF version and the AF version I believe was F 2.8 reviews vary on this particular lens
55mm shift, only does shift no tilt MF only OK lens

There are even older MF versions of some of these, but the only ones I ever used for long was the 35mm, and the 35mm AF was better in most cases.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wellcome86

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:46:37 pm »

Thank you for the answers.

The "D" Lenses ar compatible to witch body? ADF I, II, III? because the DF+ does not take any Film Backs.

So we could tell the old AF Lenses have the same design like the MF lenses. But does they have a newer coating?

For a summery:

AF 35mm  = Bad or Good ( depends of Luck)
AF 45mm  = Bad
AF 55mm  = Good but better than the MF?
AF 80mm  = ??
AF 110mm =??

Do the "D" Mamiya Lenses also need a firmware update?

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up