Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hass V advice. Which one?  (Read 8852 times)

Graham Mitchell

Hass V advice. Which one?
« on: July 17, 2006, 12:44:14 pm »

I've been offered a very good deal on a Phase One P30 digital back for a Hass V. (I'd prefer Contax but beggars can't be choosers). I am very tempted to trade in the Canon and move back up to medium format.

I used to use a 2000FC Hass for years, which I liked because of the faster lenses but I understand that it can't be made to work with the P backs. Is that correct?

So it seems that I am limited to the 5xx series, which has slower glass but faster flash sync.

There have been many 500 series bodies made over the years. Which is best for the digital back? Do any of them offer metering and auto exposure? I have seen the metered prism finders but they seem to offer a TTL reading only and the rest has to be changed manually.

Manual everything is fine with me on the set where everything is controlled, but I'd like to be able to take the camera out for street shots and that sort of thing.

So what are the ins and outs of the various 5xx bodies for digital use?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:37:06 pm »

I've hired a P25 a couple times and used it on my 503CW without any problems..

Looking at the price for a new H2 makes the V cameras a bargain, and there's ( in Australia at least ) a lot of the stuff second hand on the shelves at low prices.

I don't know how the new H2 and Contax lenses compare to the older Blad lenses, but I found the 50mm FLE and 80mm very sharp.

The 120 Macro was a bit soft at infinity, but sharp on a portrait.

SeanBK

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 11:32:19 pm »

Foto-z, Your old 2000Fc can be attached to a Hasselblad digital back, here is the link for the specs of Digital back (see page 4) this is specs from Hassey site.

http://hasselblad.com/Archive/documents/Do...0CF_English.pdf

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:03:44 am »

Sean, it shows that the 200 series bodies can only be used with the C lenses, which defeats the purpose of using the 200 series body in the first place.

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:00:50 am »

I have a 500cm with a P25, and for street stuff it's really difficult. The sensor resolves so much that any mirror slap or focus error is really plain to see at 100%. Anything below a shutter speed of 125th/sec is a crap shoot unless the camera's locked down on a tripod, or I'm using MLU, which is not conducive to street shooting. In the studio it's a whole different story, and after seeing the files, I'm not going back to Canon, but the H1 for all it's issues is still a tempting system. I hope Contax somehow rises from the ashes...
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:00:05 pm »

Eric, thanks for sharing your experience.

(I'm totally in agreement when it comes to Contax. The only trick that Hass V has over Contax is the flash synch speed but of course you can adapt a Hass V lens to the Contax body anyway and achieve the same result, afaik. Would be great to see a series II Contax body with 1/500 flash sync and maybe a few other small improvements. Maybe I could buy this Hass V back and trade it on a Contax back if there is good news at Photokina.)

Back to the topic... Am I right in thinking that no Hass V bodies offer aperture priority shooting mode?

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:57:02 am »

I'm usng a132c Imacon back on a Hasselblad ELX with 40,80,100 and 180 CF lenses. It works very well - great images very sharp with all lenses - even the 40mm. I used this kit for years with film with  success and it was great to resurrect it after shooting 35mm digital SLR's for the last few years.

I read a few reports about the 40mm being not so sharp with digital and perhaps it isn't as crisp as the other lenses but it works extremely well for me apart from a little bit of CA ( which I can photoshop away with ease).

The one thing I think the H1 or two might have in its favour is the autofocus and electronic focus confirmation as I find the imacon back , and digital in general , very unforgiving if the focus is not set exactly at the point intended. I'm fortunately not limited with the 132c as it is adaptable to other systems,part of my reason for purchasing it  - kind of future proofing

As someone else said , you need to wary of mirror slap under 125th sec but it works perfectly in the studio with flash. I usually lock the mirror up before the main exposure anyway.

Perhaps a little large for location work but I got some very nice images shooting on the run handheld the other day.

I have thought about getting a non motor body for a lighter weight setup but then I thought about that with film too and never seem to get around to it.

I've been offered a very good deal on a Phase One P30 digital back for a Hass V. (I'd prefer Contax but beggars can't be choosers). I am very tempted to trade in the Canon and move back up to medium format.

I used to use a 2000FC Hass for years, which I liked because of the faster lenses but I understand that it can't be made to work with the P backs. Is that correct?

So it seems that I am limited to the 5xx series, which has slower glass but faster flash sync.

There have been many 500 series bodies made over the years. Which is best for the digital back? Do any of them offer metering and auto exposure? I have seen the metered prism finders but they seem to offer a TTL reading only and the rest has to be changed manually.

Manual everything is fine with me on the set where everything is controlled, but I'd like to be able to take the camera out for street shots and that sort of thing.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tomholland

• http://www.tomhollandphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 08:38:11 am »

I Have a 555 ELD and use a Hassie Pistol grip with. Although changing from vert to horz is a pain, the weighting and egonomics in my opinion is far better than a 503 cw and the H2 by a lot....try for yourself. Without the Pistol though it is average.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 08:40:11 am by tomholland »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:43:18 am »

Do any of these 500-series body have an aperture priority mode or are they all completely manual?

Cfranson

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:27 am »

Do any of these 500-series body have an aperture priority mode or are they all completely manual?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71261\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
All manual.

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 09:05:21 pm »

Ok, maybe this works better one question at a time. Do all 500 series lenses have the same fastest shutter speed? (1/500?)

Do they all give the same shutter speed steps, e.g. half-stop?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 09:08:12 pm by foto-z »

Fotophil

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 09:34:05 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Fotophil

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 09:40:49 pm »

I use the 2000FC with the Hassy V96C back in conjunction with the Kapture Group cable release. Although this setup will work with the leaf shutters in the "C" lenses, I prefer to use the focal plane shutter in the 2000FC because it is adjustable in 1/2 stop settings. The Kapture cable does not use the flash sync terminal of the C lenses so you can use shutterless lenses as well.

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 04:52:45 am »

I use a Phase One P25 with a range of Hasselblad V bodies, the 503CW, 555ELD, 903 SWC/M, and the Flexbody.

They all work fine with a digital back, but in general I'd agree with the previous point regarding the limitations of the Hasselblad system when it comes to handholding, I'll only hand hold faster than 1/125s or with studio strobe. The 903 SWC/M of course circumvents the miror slap issue, but has only scale focusing, which brings its own problems with the higher demands of digital. If you mainly shoot from a tripod the V system works pretty well with digital.

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 02:07:08 pm »

Why on earth would you take a $15000+ digital back out for street shooting?  First, it's too expensive of a toy to risk having it stolen/broken.  Secondly, you'll be standing around trying to manually focus things then waiting 3-5 seconds after every shot for the writing time.  Buy the back, use it for studio work and get a 30D to mess around with out in the street.
Pages: [1]   Go Up