Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Question  (Read 7008 times)

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Lightroom Question
« on: July 16, 2006, 04:49:10 pm »

Now that my favourite raw converter (RSP) will be eventurally merged into Lightroom I'm looking forward for the windows beta and ultimate release...

I've just watched Michael's and Jeff's Lightroom DVD and have one question re functionality that wasn't mentioned.

My workflow is to keep only the current files I'm working on and a couple of months history on my on-line drive.  After I'm done with any printing and promoting to my web site, etc etc the raw and processed files are archived on 2 external USB drives and deleted from the on-line drive.  When the archive drives are full I replace them with another pair.  I use my web site as my inventory of processed images.  I'd prefer to use lightroom for that, but would need to keep some form of thumbnail of all images in the on-line Lightroom database.

Is this something that's already been sorted out?

michael

Lightroom Question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 05:02:15 pm »

If Lightroom can't find the file(s) associated with a thumbnail in its Library it still shows the thumbnail. Only when you want to work with that file will it complain and tell you that it can't find it, and ask where it is.

Just plug in the extrenal drive where the file can be found and it's happy again. This is how it deals with files archived to a CD or DVD, for example.

Michael

Ps: There is a new tutorial disk covreing the Mac and PC version of Beta 3, coming in a few weeks.

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
Lightroom Question
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 07:37:38 pm »

Good question and good answer. I was wondering the same thing.

I am very much looking forward to how Lightroom will manage the merging of libraries. I would love to do much of my editing out in the field with regards to EXIF, IPTC and simple culling of images, but merge that data with images into a larger library found on my desktop machine.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Lightroom Question
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:41:45 pm »

Thanks Michael, looking forward to the new tutorial.   I'd certainly be interested in an updated workshop here in Toronto following final realease of v1.

just ran across this new content from Ian Lyon's site:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lightroom...r_offline_1.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:42:08 pm by Tim Gray »

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Lightroom Question
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 05:45:04 pm »

I notice several Lightroom threads concerning aspects of workflow with Lightroom. I don't want to hijack a thread, nor do I want to create redundant threads, so I ask forbearance (or relocation, Mr Moderator) if I've done either.

My current workflow is ACR-->iView Media Pro/Photoshop CS2 (organization/image manip/etc)-->ImagePrint or PSCS2 w/custom printer profiles. I've gotten quite used to it and it works for me. I'm wondering how Lightroom is going to fit with this workflow and with my disk-organization scheme.

I have several workflow-related folders (I use folders only for workflow, not for categorizing or filing images; my system is keyword and iView "catalog set" based.) Images go from the CF card into a "Captures" folder where they are renamed and converted to DNG and saved in a second folder while I decide what further to do with them. From here they either get offline archived without further processing (or after processing), discarded, or "starred" for PS work and final output. For this latter path I save the DNG's as TIFF's for PS work in a third "working" folder which also gets archived eventually offline. There may be several variants of the original image here, distinguished by filename suffixes on the same basic filename (which is itself date-and-time based). Images for print output go to a "Print Queue" folder, where again there may be different versions of an image to be printed, again related by a common filename "root"; JPEG's for website upload go to an "upload" folder, etc.

It seems better for me to have LR reference the images where they are, which means I guess that each folder would show up as a Shoot. I guess. Problem is, these folders aren't "watched" like in iView so changes as I move things around don't show up. I don't want to constantly have to re-import and have a bunch of different "shoots" to contend with, some referencing images in the same folder.

I'm used to my current workflow which is smoother than it may sound, but intrigued by LR's potential for bulk adjustments and easier printing, to name a few benefits it promises. Just wondering how to integrate all of these disparate apps. I've done various tutorials and viewed Michael and Jeff's DVD, but I'm wondering whether LR is going to allow me to do what I want, or whether I need to consider a different workflow.

I'm not averse to change as long as I can keep a keyword-based organization system, with virtual "collections" (eg LR collections or iView "catalog sets") for logical groupings of related images; and a reliable way to distinguish versions of working or final-output files, yet be able to maintain a connection with the originals. I'd also rather not have to undo vast amounts of work already done in iView, which I find very nice to use. Not asking much, eh?

Any pointers to further resources, or advice, would be welcome.
michael sebast

Larry Brusso

Lightroom Question
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 02:42:01 pm »

I was wondering the same thing. I use Extensis Portfolio as my DAM program and I like the fact that I can enter user notes that can be searched and those results are diplayed in a search gallery.
 I too have many Tb of images that I have archived off line. Portfolio keeps it's own thumbs for display while the actual image lives elsewhere. If I click on the image thumb, Portfolio shows me the image data and tells me where that particular image or images reside. Alll I have to do is mount the DVD that contains the image(s) and I'm in business. Portfolio also lets me watch folders the way you describe that Iview does.
 LR seems to have some nice features, but nothing that I can't accomplish with the other apps that I am now using. The reason for me to purchase LR would be to consolidate those apps into one robust program, but it would have to be a complete DAM program before I would consider it, as this is what is most important to me.
 I wonder if there is additional functionality planned for the Library module of LR?
regards to all
Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lightroom Question
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 03:10:38 pm »

Good question and good answer. I was wondering the same thing.

I am very much looking forward to how Lightroom will manage the merging of libraries. I would love to do much of my editing out in the field with regards to EXIF, IPTC and simple culling of images, but merge that data with images into a larger library found on my desktop machine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70898\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Andy

Do your work on your laptop, then when you come home you need to run Photo > Export to sidecar. This creates xmp files in the raw files' folders. Move those entire folders to your desktop and import into Lightroom there.

John
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:18:29 pm by johnbeardy »

Larry Brusso

Lightroom Question
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 01:32:54 pm »

Andy

Do your work on your laptop, then when you come home you need to run Photo > Export to sidecar. This creates xmp files in the raw files' folders. Move those entire folders to your desktop and import into Lightroom there.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71412\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi John,
 It's good to see you here. I've learned a lot of useful tips from you over on the Portfolio board.
How would you compare LR to Portfolio in terms of a DAM application? I've only just recently started playing with LR, and find myself wanting for several of the features that I now enjoy with Portfolio. I was waiting to upgrade to ver. 8 untill I had a chance to test drive LR. I'm wondering if the library module is pretty much done, or will there be addittional functionality added to it.
regards
Larry

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lightroom Question
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:25:41 am »

Hi Harry

Very difficult to say. There really aren't many DAM features and it's unclear what will be coming. With no folder browsing features, you can't do as much metadata entry as with Bridge, just for entering keywords and other metadata, but nothing fancier. So it's not helping too much if you don't know where your pictures are or if you want to search your entire collection. I hope the Library will get more features, but I fear there'll be a movement towards more selection-based editing which would be good but would come at the cost of DAM ability - I really hope Adobe don't repeat Bridge's line of "we've left it scriptable / plug in architecture so you can add the features you need.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up