Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1-10: Support and B&W Color Management  (Read 1777 times)

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
C1-10: Support and B&W Color Management
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:49:28 am »

Perhaps this subject is off topic, but as I've posted in on the Phase One site without reply, thought I'd give it a go here, too.

I'm using Capture One (was 9 and is now 10) for post processing and ImagePrint 10 for printing. In using PROCESSING to create a TIFF for this purpose and PROOFING, you the user has the option of ICC Profiles. I'm wondering whether there's not a way to load a color space - even create or download a custom ICC profile or ICM profile - that corresponds to a gray scale for more accurate soft proofing in Capture One. The same could be said for other color spaces, equipment profiles, etc. but in this case the specifically sited space is from ImagePrint and defined as theiir "GrayL.icm" which was crafted specifically for those using Photoshop. My query on use of the same for Capture One generated B&W conversions has gone unremarked. ImagePrint itself has suggested that IF Capture One can import ICC and ICM profiles, then this can happen. I haven't been able to find this anywhere in Capture One, but in the Process menu you do have reference to canned ICC profiles. Parenthetically, this leaves me wondering that no one really uses Phase One's support forum! and certainly their staff must not patrol the site (to be fair, i've received responses in the past with direct queries, but never in the forum), but more than that, I just wonder whether this is just barking up the wrong tree. Yes, I suppose no matter what post-processing program we use, we're always wondering whether our "issues" are simply a matter of square peg in a round hole and whether we shouldn't instead try another program, but I prefer to stick with the Capture One time investment already made.

Anyone barked around this or other similar trees with C1?
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

Rado

Re: C1-10: Support and B&W Color Management
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 11:04:09 am »

Parenthetically, this leaves me wondering that no one really uses Phase One's support forum! and certainly their staff must not patrol the site (to be fair, i've received responses in the past with direct queries, but never in the forum).

I've reported a UI bug on P1's support forums and nothing happened for about a year until I started to complain about it here and even then it took P1 several releases to fix the bug correctly - it's finally gone in v10 but that version introduced another UI bug which breaks my workflow so for now I'm sticking with v9. I think P1's forums are "user supported" or something like that, but if that's the case why even have it. I don't go there anymore.

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 11:06:18 am »

Hi,

Capture One loads the Color Profiles from the usual places the operation system places them, so if you want to use your custom profile, just copy it to the proper folder and restart Capture One.
On MacOS it is /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ . You can use ColorSync Utility to verify if your profile is correct and is in the proper place.

You might want to change the extension to icc if you're on Windows. The Mac version is capable of picking up icm files as well.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 01:11:57 pm »

Parenthetically, this leaves me wondering that no one really uses Phase One's support forum! and certainly their staff must not patrol the site (to be fair, i've received responses in the past with direct queries, but never in the forum), but more than that, I just wonder whether this is just barking up the wrong tree.
The way to report a problem or even a feature request to Phase One is to go to their website, click on Support and open a support case.  They generally get back to you within one business day, often within an hour.

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »

Interesting to see the same view of the Phase One Forum. Yes, I've had good responses on direct access to the Help Support, but I'm puzzled the forum is.... unmonitored by the sponsor.

Nemtom: Thanks for that. I'm on a Windows version, but I'll give that a shot and let you know what I find out.
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 01:41:15 pm »

Forum.phaseone.com is a User Forum (as labeled in the top center of the page). It is to provide user-to-user support. Phase One employees do not participate with any regularity; they tend to sign on when their normal official support duties are slow or when they are investigating a hot button issue.

If you want support, or wish to report a bug, please contact the dealer from whom you purchased Capture One or start a support case at phaseone.com. Every single support case is answered within 24 hours. If you don't see a response during that time then your email server is blocking the email response as spam and you can log in to your support case at phaseone.com to see the reply there.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 03:59:11 pm »

The way to report a problem or even a feature request to Phase One is to go to their website, click on Support and open a support case.  They generally get back to you within one business day, often within an hour.

Yes, they are very responsive.  I reported a couple of small bugs where Control-Z didn't undo a change, in less than 24 hours they confirmed the bug and sent it to the developer (hopefully to be fixed next release).
Pages: [1]   Go Up