Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 44" printer currently available  (Read 21865 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Best 44" printer currently available
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2016, 11:04:34 am »

I just measured the power consumption of some equipment in my house...

Printer HPZ3100

standby  23 watt                             
standbye but active = 40 watt      
printing ca 60-80  watt

i calculated it costs me about 40€ a year...but i do not have a printing business

That's very cool Kers.  Thanks for doing that.  Much appreciated.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2016, 11:22:05 am »

Against my better judgement, I decided to give Epson one final shot, and pulled the trigger on a P9000. With the $1000 rebate they currently have going, it would have been a small difference between replacing the head on the 9900 which would have cost me $2,500, and buying a new printer. I did get a 3 year warranty on it this time, but I really do hope that the printheads/inks are better with the clogging issues on these newer models. They just haven't been around long enough to really know the longevity/reliability of the heads, so I'm taking a gamble.
This is my 4th large format Epson over the course of 20 years, and the last chance I'm giving them. Hoping for the best...

The head is the heart of a printer. When I decide "how much printer" I want to buy, it's not based on the cost of replacing the print head (of unknown longevity at this time) but rather on the maximum size prints I'm likely going to make.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2016, 11:26:18 am »

Good luck with it Zachary. We've had a very useful discussion in this thread, and I hope your new 9000 works out well for you.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JeffS

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2016, 11:37:43 am »

Against my better judgement, I decided to give Epson one final shot, and pulled the trigger on a P9000. With the $1000 rebate they currently have going, it would have been a small difference between replacing the head on the 9900 which would have cost me $2,500, and buying a new printer. I did get a 3 year warranty on it this time, but I really do hope that the printheads/inks are better with the clogging issues on these newer models. They just haven't been around long enough to really know the longevity/reliability of the heads, so I'm taking a gamble.
This is my 4th large format Epson over the course of 20 years, and the last chance I'm giving them. Hoping for the best...

Back to post #2  :)

Good luck with it.  You might want to check the Epson rebate site to see if they still have the additional $50 rebate for upgrading machines (don't know if yours was eligible).

Jeff

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2016, 12:39:03 pm »

They gave me 3 700ml ink cartridges of my choice towards the P9000 for all the trouble that I went through, which was part of my decision to stick with an Epson. I'm not sure if they'll give me another $50 on top of that.

You might want to check the Epson rebate site to see if they still have the additional $50 rebate for upgrading machines (don't know if yours was eligible).
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

JeffS

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2016, 01:22:52 pm »

They gave me 3 700ml ink cartridges of my choice towards the P9000 for all the trouble that I went through, which was part of my decision to stick with an Epson. I'm not sure if they'll give me another $50 on top of that.

It's not up to anyone to decide....there's either a coupon for you to print and mail to the rebate center or not.....takes 6-8 weeks to process.

Jeff

deanwork

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2016, 01:27:34 pm »

THANK YOU SIR! That is a good hue starting point for me. I'm excited to get going with it this month and compare the Z with other methods.

john

I have spent a good part of last few months developing my process for printing on Centennial POP (incidentally made by Chicago Albumen Works, long since discontinued) a box of which had been sitting in my fridge for about 10 years that is still good.  I am using Pictorico on HP B9180 (baby brother of the z's) to make my digital negatives.  My optimum color for getting the whitest white specific to that particular paper turned out to be R/G/B of 61/118/0.  The correction curve can be created once you you have established the exposure times and the negative color and of course the particular optical+chemical process one is embarking on.  My next project is to tackle salt prints which will involves additional but non-trivial steps of preparing the sensitzed paper by coating the chemistry as well.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2016, 03:10:22 pm »

THANK YOU SIR! That is a good hue starting point for me. I'm excited to get going with it this month and compare the Z with other methods.

john

You are welcome.  I was surprised at how big the difference was in the UV blocking capacities of the plain black (RGB all zero printed as a composite black) and the "green" hued negative.  The z's have a couple more inks than the B9180 so may be the sweet spot is slightly different than mine.  The particular UV source that you use to expose will presumably play a role as well.  In any case, arriving at the exact point is less complicated than I initially thought.  I will be interested in what you can report on the different avenues you are pursuing.  I will keep tabs on the new thread you started on this forum.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2017, 10:11:45 pm »

I have now read the BLI Report in some detail and I have quite a few comments sprinkled throughout written-up as "stickies" in the document. My comments are on matters of fact, approach and relevance and have nothing to do with who paid for the work. I have written to BLI asking whether there would be any copyright implications to my posting a resaved copy of the document containing the stickies. From auto-responses I see they are all on holiday till January 3rd, so I may not hear back until then. It would save me a lot of writing and referencing, because it is not possible to copy extracts of the report. I shall therefore wait until I hear back from them before posting, out of abundance of caution.

For now, let me say I am not prepared to condemn the whole report because I have queries, quandaries or possible issues with this or that aspect of it, nor am I prepared to say it is necessarily a flawless piece of work despite the large effort they obviously devoted to it.

Since I wrote this post, there has been a substantial exchange of notes between BLI and me concerning the subject review. Much to their credit they have been very willing to engage, have responded to all of my detailed comments and given permission to publish it all. So the complete exchanges are in the attached. To see my comments and their replies, you need to double-click the "stickies" to open the notes. They also mentioned that the version of the report referenced in this thread is out of date and a more current one has been produced, which they would prefer be circulated. So both are attached. The dialog between me and them is still in the older version, so the newer version is "clean" - unmarked. I have not compared them.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2017, 03:46:02 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated.

Best regards
Erik

Since I wrote this post, there has been a substantial exchange of notes between BLI and me concerning the subject review. Much to their credit they have been very willing to engage, have responded to all of my detailed comments and given permission to publish it all. So the complete exchanges are in the attached. To see my comments and their replies, you need to double-click the "stickies" to open the notes. They also mentioned that the version of the report referenced in this thread is out of date and a more current one has been produced, which they would prefer be circulated. So both are attached. The dialog between me and them is still in the older version, so the newer version is "clean" - unmarked. I have not compared them.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up