Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question forYair  (Read 4252 times)

ericevans

Question forYair
« on: July 14, 2006, 07:35:51 pm »

After recently paying a lot of money on a scanner repair that was a direct result of a firewire being plugged in wrong by a computer "tech" I have this question . If a firewire is plugged into a Leaf Aptus the wrong way how much damage will it cause to the back ? Is the Aptus designed like the 1ds and 1d mark II where it is a simple part change of the firewire port or does the entire back need to be replaced ? I am curious as to what Leaf has done to protect their digital backs against electrical damage from a firewire cable . I would also be curios as to the same questions for Phase One backs as well .

yaya

Question forYair
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 02:19:21 am »

After recently paying a lot of money on a scanner repair that was a direct result of a firewire being plugged in wrong by a computer "tech" I have this question . If a firewire is plugged into a Leaf Aptus the wrong way how much damage will it cause to the back ? Is the Aptus designed like the 1ds and 1d mark II where it is a simple part change of the firewire port or does the entire back need to be replaced ? I am curious as to what Leaf has done to protect their digital backs against electrical damage from a firewire cable . I would also be curios as to the same questions for Phase One backs as well .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70727\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Leaf Aptus has a short-circuit protection built in to the FW board and if you use the Leaf supplied cable with the L-shaped plug it'll be nearly impossible to plug it in the wrong way.

You are still very likely to damage the FW board in you Mac if you do that, though...

The Canon BTW use a mini FW socket that does not deliver any power to the camera (it is powered by it's own batteries) so it's irrelevant to the subject....

Hope this helps

Yair

ericevans

Question forYair
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 05:49:03 am »

Thanks Yair . Should this happen to a digital back what would the average repair cost be ? Glad to hear that Leaf has done something to protect users of their products . Actually I have had a 1ds that had to have the firwire port replaced as the same "tech" that fried my scanner fried the Canon as well . The Canon repair bill was cheap , just shipping both ways and a two day turnaround .

ericevans

Question forYair
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:27:48 pm »

Yair , what does it cost to repair the firewire board in a Aptus ??

yaya

Question forYair
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 03:51:13 pm »

Yair , what does it cost to repair the firewire board in a Aptus ??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ZERO if it's under warranty, providing you don't write "I plugged the FW cable into my 220V socket" on your forehead.

If the back has no warranty then you should contact Leaf America as procedures and costs change between regions.

Yair
Pages: [1]   Go Up