Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Web Host with Templates (No Code Setup) -- Wix?  (Read 2321 times)

Brad P

Web Host with Templates (No Code Setup) -- Wix?
« on: December 23, 2016, 01:25:11 pm »

I am about to publish a website to display and sell my work.  I just finished creating a free template on Squarespace and before paying the fee to go live, I read the full pricing issues for that (fairly competitive site) and others. 

After further research (and considering other website hosts, including those targeting photographers specifically such as Zenfolio, Smugmug and Photoshelter), I am about to start working with Wix.  They appear to have the best combination of pricing terms and great functionality.  It is probably my lack of familiarity, but why would anyone selling online go with a different host?

As background, I am fairly computer savvy but don't want to spend a lot of time maintaining a website and learning code.  I produce all my own work from capture through print, so I don't need or want a lab integrated into the website delivery system. 

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 04:05:35 pm by Brad P »

Brad P

Re: Web Host - Wix?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 03:50:02 pm »

Well if it helps others, I have decided to go with Wix.  I looked at Shopify too in my final review, but it was a little more expensive per year and didn't seem to have quite the gallery functionality that Wix has, although its online shopping features are definitely more robust. One thing to think about in addition is how to protect your work from being copied or downloaded. In its new "Pro Galleries" function, Wix now finally has provided right click copy protection, but not additionally the print protection that Shopify and others have.  Regardless, these types of anti piracy features provide good but imperfect protection from skilled hackers, so it seems to be best practice to upload images with a semi opaque multicolored embedded watermark to protect your work. 

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Web Host with Templates (No Code Setup) -- Wix?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »

I took over a business that had a Wix website and is was very good. Eventually I found it had some limitations and am now moving it Joomla as it has more flexibility. Until you get to that stage it works well.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Brad P

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »

Thanks Bob.  Could I ask what the limitations were that caused you to switch?

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 09:23:22 am »

I'm also looking for a new web design program.  I used Softpress Freeway for years until they folded.  Wix looks interesting! At the moment I have been looking at Rapidweaver which requires no code.  Has anyone else around here used it? 

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »

Thanks Bob.  Could I ask what the limitations were that caused you to switch?
Every additional feature is an additional cost. So you add a shopping cart etc it is extra. That mounts up quickly. It only allowed one newsletter per month etc. So I now use Joomla, Hikashop and Mailchimp and it's unlimited. If you only have one website it may be OK but I had a large number of Joomla already.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up