Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organize pictures in folders  (Read 10329 times)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Organize pictures in folders
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 02:49:22 am »

After performing several tests on sessions and checking what happen to the session catalog, I found that what really happens when you browse the system folders (outside the session) is that C1 actually adds all the images to the session catalog without moving the original files, for every folder and subfolder that you browse.

This means that if you just browse a folder with 1000 images, they will get added to the session catalog. Personally I don't like this approach, and as much as I like sessions for specific projects, I will make sure I stay inside the session folders and never browse system folders.

If you move the files or folders outside of C1, then it is even worse than doing it in catalog mode. When you open C1 after moving files or folders outside C1, it will not notify you of missing files and when you browse the new location, it will add again new records to the session catalog, meaning that the information will be duplicated and you keep filling the session catalog with useless data. At least when you are in catalog mode, C1 (like LR) will notify the files are missing and you can locate them.

It happened to me that moving back and forth files outside C1 (just for the test) at some point it did not keep the edits, even if I moved the images along the .cos files. I'm not sure what is the cause, but I'm not interested in finding out because I don't like this method at all.

Finally, one of the advantages IMHO of sessions is that you can  move the entire session from one computer to another just by moving the session folder. You will lose this if you edit files directly in the system folders.

scyth

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:33 am »

If you move the files or folders outside of C1, then it is even worse than doing it in catalog mode. When you open C1 after moving files or folders outside C1, it will not notify you of missing files and when you browse the new location, it will add again new records to the session catalog, meaning that the information will be duplicated and you keep filling the session catalog with useless data. At least when you are in catalog mode, C1 (like LR) will notify the files are missing and you can locate them.

it won't be any issue if you move your folders with C1-created subfolders (just like for ACR you move raws and XMP sidecars) and as I suggested kill/recreate the dummy sessions on a regular basis (which I do every reboot automatically or you can simply create a batch file to do invoke C1 with all necessary operations for dummy session before started the executable)... I am using C1 since v3.7 only as a standalone converter (means I use other image browsers and only invoke C1 for conversion of a particular file) and never had issues since the current "sessions" were imposed on us... granted if you /not you personally/ are such an idiot to move a raw file alone then the things can be worse.

sjprg

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 12:12:27 am »

DAM is really my only dislike of C1.
I would like to see a preference when opening, of turning off the DAM and making the input to JUST read the folders. Like DXO or PS. I only have about 45,000 images. Folders which are Raw Images>year>month>day-subject. A decent computer with an I7-6700 can search about as fast as an SQL for home use. At least fast enough to make up for the other problems a DAM creates.
Paul

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 03:46:13 pm »

DAM is really my only dislike of C1.
I would like to see a preference when opening, of turning off the DAM and making the input to JUST read the folders. Like DXO or PS.

You can do exactly that by using the session mode and not importing anything. You can browse the folders directly and the session catalog will work similar to the Adobe Bridge cache.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:27 am »

I have used OS system folders and subfolders to organize my photos by year/month/date since the beginning of my digital photography in 1999. When LR came along, it was easy to adapt to the new software because is support referenced files instead of requiring photos to be ingested into a proprietary database like iPhoto, Photos or early Aperture required.

When I sold all of my pro Canon DSLR gear and switched to Fuji-X cameras 3 years ago, I became disappointed with the RAW conversion of Fuji files from LR CC. This caused me to switch to CaptureOne Pro last year.

Because I have always used a standard folder structure, it made the transition to different DAM/RAW processing software much easier than if I had used the respective software's proprietary database for my images. The standard folder structure protects your images from software obsolescence (i.e. Aperture)

The only feature that I miss from LR is that my photo database contains 145k+ images. LR's catalog handled this number of images easily. C1P chokes on large image databases, therefore, I had to split my image catalogs in C1P to three to reduce the number of images in each catalog. Even with limiting my C1P catalog to 50k RAW images, when I click on "All Images", it can take 3-4 minutes before the program becomes usable. Once I do this once, I can move between folders and sections in the program without delay. I have to remember to select a specific folder instead of "All Images" when I quit C1P or it will take 3-4 minutes the next time that I launch the program before it becomes usable (I get the spinning beachball until then).

This solution was endorsed by C1 tech support as the tech I corresponded with stated that C1P's database contains more image specific information than LR and larger previews. It was recommended to reduce the image preview size, but I found that this made no improvement in performance on my maxed-out iMac 27" 5k. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon in a future release of C1P.

Most pros that I spoke with that use C1P, use sessions for each shoot to avoid any performance hits with large catalogs. That does not fit my user profile as an amateur. I want my RAW processor to also be my complete DAM solution.

Regards,
Bud

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

sjprg

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 05:15:39 pm »

Now ! How do I get rid of all of the unused catalogs and sessions that are created in C1 when I remove the drive they were created in? C1 is trying to open them as soon as the program opens.
Paul

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 07:18:47 pm »

Now ! How do I get rid of all of the unused catalogs and sessions that are created in C1 when I remove the drive they were created in? C1 is trying to open them as soon as the program opens.

Hi Paul,

Library tool, expand the Library pane, click the drop-down selection menu, and at the bottom of it select 'Clear items'.

That will clear the list.

Via ' Open...'  or 'Open Recent ...' you can then select another already existing session. It helps to have a clear subdirectory structure to find the other *.cosessiondb files to open sessions. You can also open them through the File Explorer (in Windows) since the extension is typically linked to Capture One.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

sjprg

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2017, 11:20:46 pm »

Thanks Bart, I'm slowly finding my way through the C1 maze.
Paul

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 06:10:08 am »

Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up