Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question about Tethering with Pen-F  (Read 2751 times)

aaronchan

Quick question about Tethering with Pen-F
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:45:07 pm »

Dear all,

This is my first post over this section and am considering to purchase my first CSC after all these years of using SLR/DSLR.
I'm looking at the Pen F right now since the price is very attractive over in my country.
But since I've been a Canon user for many years, I'm so used to their Canon Utility software for tethering while I do my still life shoots.
I'm just wonder can I do focusing control (I want to do post-focus stacking in photoshop) over the olympus software with Hi-Res RAW mode?

Thanks
Aaron

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: Quick question about Tethering with Pen-F
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 04:14:17 pm »

The Pen F cannot tether.  Sadly.  I found this out on a client shoot.  It's not supported by the software.  Otherwise, the tethering software Olympus provides is excellent.  You can fully control all aspects of the camera from the laptop.  Focus, shooting, settings, boost in the view, etc...  you can also route the shots to a folder Lightroom is watching for instant import and preset application or editing.   Right now si think only the omd cameras tether.  The I know the em5mk2 nd both em1 cameras tether.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 11:51:27 pm »

The Pen F cannot tether.  Sadly.  I found this out on a client shoot.  It's not supported by the software.  Otherwise, the tethering software Olympus provides is excellent.  You can fully control all aspects of the camera from the laptop.  Focus, shooting, settings, boost in the view, etc...  you can also route the shots to a folder Lightroom is watching for instant import and preset application or editing.   Right now si think only the omd cameras tether.  The I know the em5mk2 nd both em1 cameras tether.

It's a shame that the Pen-F is a great camera and you can't tether with it.
Well, I guess I'll just wait the price of the E-M1 ii goes down a bit

thanks
aaron

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:59:02 am »

On a positive note... the high res mode was absolutely fantastic in studio!  Especially when the files are sharpened properly.  Amazing stuff. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

aaronchan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 10:13:04 am »

On a positive note... the high res mode was absolutely fantastic in studio!  Especially when the files are sharpened properly.  Amazing stuff.

Yes, I've used the E-M5 II with hi res mode to do a fine art repro job of vintage posters.
I can actually see the screen pattern on my screen.
But.......... I'm not sure if I want to buy the E-M5ii now and of course, the E-M1ii is way over price, in my opinion, because seems like OM cameras tends to drop a lot after 6-9 months....

aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up