Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring  (Read 2727 times)

uptownguydenver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
    • Denverphotoscapes
Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« on: December 17, 2016, 08:21:42 pm »

I have the Schneider 240mm f/4.5 LS Blue Ring lens. The lens is a 86mm filter size and a build-in lens hood.  The lens hood extends out over the lens just enough so that the Lee 86mm adapter for the 100mm filters will not work. Tried the Lee SW150 86mm screw-on adapter and the same problem.

Looks like a filter adapter with a deeper recessed filter adapter is required or the hood will have to be removed.

Normal screw-on filters will work fine.

Has anyone got any ideas on a solution. Thanks.
Logged
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:44:13 am »

http://www.skgrimes.com

I haven't used them, but they seem to be able to fabricate about any kind of adaptor, maybe they could build something that would work.
Logged

uptownguydenver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
    • Denverphotoscapes
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 09:16:46 am »

Thank you very much for the link. I will contact them and see what they can offer. Larry
Logged
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

E.J. Peiker

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 891
    • http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 10:35:45 am »

I'm guessing a couple of screw in filters, something like a C-PL and 6 stop ND or whatever your needs are, might cost less than having something custom designed and fabricated...
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 11:44:04 am »

If you use a CL-pl make sure you have a non rotating filter behind it. The hood makes it very hard to get a good grip on a modern slim cl-pl as you only can touch the rotating part and it just spin as you try to remove it.

I added a full UV haze filter on my 240 for this reason.

Paul Caldwell
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

issa

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:02:23 am »

I have the Schneider 240mm f/4.5 LS Blue Ring lens. The lens is a 86mm filter size and a build-in lens hood.  The lens hood extends out over the lens just enough so that the Lee 86mm adapter for the 100mm filters will not work. Tried the Lee SW150 86mm screw-on adapter and the same problem.

Looks like a filter adapter with a deeper recessed filter adapter is required or the hood will have to be removed.

Normal screw-on filters will work fine.

Has anyone got any ideas on a solution. Thanks.

You need something like this spacer
http://srb-photographic.co.uk/86mm-fixed-spacer-ring-5713-p.asp
Logged
Issa

Beds, UK

rxchaos

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 114
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:10:07 pm »

I use LinhofStudio's XXL filter holder on my Hasselblad HCD28mm and 24mm lenses  to hold 150mm Lee and FormatHiTech filters.  It works very well.  Here's a link to their product...
http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/The-LSL-XXL-Filter-Holder

They have donut rings of various sizes that fit between the holder and the lens barrel.  They'll do a custom size ring but it takes about 4-6 weeks. 

-c
Logged

Don Libby

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 824
  • Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »

I too have a 240LS and also use Lee filter system.  What I found out that works well for me is a step ring that protrudes out far enough to attach the Lee collar. 

Don

uptownguydenver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
    • Denverphotoscapes
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know the brand and the to mm. I can't seem to find any that step up from 86mm.

Larry
Logged
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

E.J. Peiker

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 891
    • http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:20:00 pm »

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know the brand and the to mm. I can't seem to find any that step up from 86mm.

Larry
I don't think you want a step-up ring because that won't work with the integrated hood.  What you want is a spacer like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spacer-Ring-86mm-/262175252966

I'm guessing that's what Don meant when he said step ring (he did not say step-up ring ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:49:46 pm by E.J. Peiker »
Logged

uptownguydenver

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
    • Denverphotoscapes
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 05:13:58 pm »

Thank you everyone for the information on the 86mm spacer. I ordered one from the eBay link and it came out to $14.59 including shipping. Such a deal.

Larry
Logged
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

Don Libby

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 824
  • Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Re: Attaching Lee filters to Schneider 240mm LS Blue Ring
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 01:01:57 pm »

I misspoke about the use of a step ring on the 240; my defense is that I was in a bar at the time I wrote it and well frankly was a little distracted...

I pulled the lenses out to begin an end of year cleaning and remembered this post and double checked what I've been using.  Turns out I'm using a Tiffen UV protector with the glass removed.  The ring is deep enough to allow me to screen on the SW150 filter ring which I just normally keep on and after removing the Lee I can continue using the built-in shade with the Tiffen in place. I can also use a 105 step up ring for those times I might want to use a larger screen on filter.

Hope this clears up any mystery and sorry for the confusion.

Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up