Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax 645 Keep or  (Read 13546 times)

dseelig

Contax 645 Keep or
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:29:30 pm »

I have a basic Contax 645  system 45 mm 80 mm 145 flash and one extra back and polariod . I am waiting for the day 22 megapixel backs go under 10 grand used. Should I switch to Mamiya because of the contax  system dying or get an extra camera for parts as prices keep going down. I do shoot a little black and white film with my system and love the quality /. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2

Lester

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:43:23 am »

If you switch to Mamiya, it would be cheaper. Just look at ebay and price the lenses. I 1st used a Mamiya about a year+ ago, it came with the P25 back. I has been useing Hass for film for the last 30+ years. I now have the P45 and it seems that the Mamiya lenses could stand up to 39 megapixel back. From some of the test, it seems that all the MD system camera is about equal in their lenses.  With the Mamiya, you could also get a adpater for the Hass C and F lenses but will be manual.

I have a basic Contax 645  system 45 mm 80 mm 145 flash and one extra back and polariod . I am waiting for the day 22 megapixel backs go under 10 grand used. Should I switch to Mamiya because of the contax  system dying or get an extra camera for parts as prices keep going down. I do shoot a little black and white film with my system and love the quality /. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

ddolde

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:41 pm »

Honestly if you have a 1Ds MK 2 what's the point of going to 22mp?  The new 1Ds MK 3 will likely have this many mp and be under 10K.

At this point I'd not bother with anything less than a P45 or Aptue 75.

ericevans

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 05:58:04 am »

A lot of people knock Mamiya but they have a good product . I think you may have more options as to what backs you can put on a Mamiya vs a Contax since it is no longer made .

"Honestly if you have a 1Ds MK 2 what's the point of going to 22mp?"  
Having shot both 1ds models as well as several digital backs , the point is better color , dynamic range and a different look and feel of the file . The Canon is also still a 12 bit capture and the Phase and Leaf backs are 16 bit and that makes a huge difference . I think I would hang up my camera if I had to go back to dslr's again as I have gotten spoiled with the Aptus .

Tomas Johanson

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 01:13:40 pm »

I have used Contax 645 since year 2000 and with digital back the last 2 years. I can think about to complete with an Arca Swiss or Linhof for architecture but never switch from Contax to Mamiya or Canon. This is just my personal felings about the camera.
If you can find a Sinar emotion or Imacon back you still have the possibility to change adapter plate to another system in the future, at least as the market is now. In 10 years we maybe have totaly different kind of cameras , who knows?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 01:14:13 pm by Tomas »

dseelig

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 05:25:20 pm »

I want the 22 for meduim format for the wide angle performance and yes better color would be a plus as well. Teh question is will the ergonamics feel of the mamiya be a bother will it stand up to a little rough use if needed. I had a mamiya 645 non interchangeable back camera years ago . it was not well built are the current mamiyas better built. David

Lester

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 06:35:46 pm »

David,

If you want wide angle performance, it is hard to beat the Mamiya 35mm, I use the manual one, which you could get for $350 or cheaper at ebay. When I was using it with my P25 I get sharp details from the center to the edge. It is much sharper then the 1Ds MkII wide angles. Yes, I also have the Canon 1Ds MkII. They are both great cameras, but for different reasons.

I also think that the Mamiya cameras are much better built. I put the camera in a camera back pack and hike all over, without any problems. Remember, I came from using a Hass for film, I could switch when I got my P45 but I stay with Mamiya.

I want the 22 for meduim format for the wide angle performance and yes better color would be a plus as well. Teh question is will the ergonamics feel of the mamiya be a bother will it stand up to a little rough use if needed. I had a mamiya 645 non interchangeable back camera years ago . it was not well built are the current mamiyas better built. David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 07:21:10 pm »

"Should I switch to Mamiya because of the contax system dying or get an extra camera for parts as prices keep going down. I do shoot a little black and white film with my system and love the quality /. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2"

This strikes a cord with me also.  I have the Contax 645 with extra setup and most of the lenses along with a p25.

I am just tired of trying to keep up with the latest trends in digital.  I also have a Canon 1ds and am considering moving to the next generation of Canon and sell all of the mf equipment   ooor  I might just purchase the p45

I am very satisfied with the p25 and the high quality images it produces.

Quite a quandry, knowing if I upgrade to p45 anothr 1 year or more it will again be outdated and another $15,000 to keep up on the merry go round.

Let us know what you finally do

dseelig

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 01:53:50 pm »

"Should I switch to Mamiya because of the contax system dying or get an extra camera for parts as prices keep going down. I do shoot a little black and white film with my system and love the quality /. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2"

This strikes a cord with me also.  I have the Contax 645 with extra setup and most of the lenses along with a p25.

I am just tired of trying to keep up with the latest trends in digital.  I also have a Canon 1ds and am considering moving to the next generation of Canon and sell all of the mf equipment   ooor  I might just purchase the p45

I am very satisfied with the p25 and the high quality images it produces.

Quite a quandry, knowing if I upgrade to p45 anothr 1 year or more it will again be outdated and another $15,000 to keep up on the merry go round.

Let us know what you finally do
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dseelig

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:54:57 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70871\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One other question
Do the Mmaiya older amnual lenses work without an adapter??

tomholland

• http://www.tomhollandphoto.com
Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 04:53:09 pm »

don't forget that maimaya only syncs at 1/125 which renders it useless for outdoor shooting with flash

dazzajl

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 09:06:25 pm »

One other question
Do the Mamiya older manual lenses work without an adapter??

Yes they do but apart from the obvious loss of the AF (no big loss many would say) you also have to manually stop down the lens or view through the shooting aperture and you only get the spot metering option.

These can be huge or tiny issues depending on what you shoot. The max sync speed could also be extremley limiting.

Graham Mitchell

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 07:13:17 am »

Honestly if you have a 1Ds MK 2 what's the point of going to 22mp?  The new 1Ds MK 3 will likely have this many mp and be under 10K.

If Canon's lenses could fully resolve the 22MP sensor then I would agree to an extent, however they are not even resolving 16MP.

Add to that the 16-bit colour and appearance of the files straight out of the camera and I think the overall improvement would be considerable.

Lester

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 12:25:58 pm »

Like I always say, not all lenses are created equal. There is always a sharper lenses of the same design, if you look for it. I have a very sharp 24-70 and it could resolve 22 mp. As for the 16-bite color, most subject you shoot, you cannot tell the difference unless you put them side by side (with the help of PhotoShop, you will never could tell the difference). Both camera have its use, but for landscape work, I go with the MF back.

I also have a P45 on a Mamiya, which is used on special projects. I like using the older manual lenses, because they are cheaper and they are manual aperture but I really don't need the auto lenses. I am from the old school, AF is no big deal. One thing that dazzail did not mention is that you also have to get the Mamiya manual focusing screem, without it, the manual lenses will back focus.

The bottom line is up to you, if you want to stay with the Contax system or switch to the Mamiya system.

If Canon's lenses could fully resolve the 22MP sensor then I would agree to an extent, however they are not even resolving 16MP.

Add to that the 16-bit colour and appearance of the files straight out of the camera and I think the overall improvement would be considerable.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71525\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

dseelig

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 07:42:15 pm »

Like I always say, not all lenses are created equal. There is always a sharper lenses of the same design, if you look for it. I have a very sharp 24-70 and it could resolve 22 mp. As for the 16-bite color, most subject you shoot, you cannot tell the difference unless you put them side by side (with the help of PhotoShop, you will never could tell the difference). Both camera have its use, but for landscape work, I go with the MF back.

I also have a P45 on a Mamiya, which is used on special projects. I like using the older manual lenses, because they are cheaper and they are manual aperture but I really don't need the auto lenses. I am from the old school, AF is no big deal. One thing that dazzail did not mention is that you also have to get the Mamiya manual focusing screem, without it, the manual lenses will back focus.

The bottom line is up to you, if you want to stay with the Contax system or switch to the Mamiya system.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=71551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
After a little time with the mamiya I think I am going to keep my contax stuff. Though when money permits get an extra body . I just did not like the plastic of the mamiya thanks All David    

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 08:20:45 pm »

[. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2
[/quote]

Hi
I have been using the Mamiya 645 AF system since 1999. I did try the Contax on a job before I tried the Mamiya. Since I was a Canon user I had a hard time with the Contax because of all the wheels and dials. The Contax had the F stops on the lens plus there is no half stop clicks! In the end I put masking tape on the apeture ring so it would not move. It reminded me of the Canon FD lenses. The reason why I was looking at these cameras was I had to get rid of the Hasselblad as I could not focus it plus I was not impressed with the lens quality in B&W. From my tests I found the Hasselblad and Contax about the same lens quality. The deal breaker was the Mamiya was sharper in B&W than the Contax. The cost at the time was also a consideration. They were both made in Japan. I did like the rear focus on the Contax but it was slower AF than the Mamiya. The new 645 AFDII now has seperate focus (front or rear). When it came to lens sharpness I was comparing it to my Canon 85 1.2 which is an amazing lens. As far a quality goes, the only problem I had was blowing a shutter and Mamiya has improved the shutter in the645AFDII & the ZD. Any good camera repairer can replace a shutter. I was a Hasselblad user for 18 years and when I switched to Mamiya I have never missed the Hasselblad.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 06:38:23 pm »

The Contax 645 system,represents great value!
I've just purchased a kit for a friend of mine on eBay and all of them were from different sellers!
The kit consist of:
2 x 645 bodies,prism and filmback and battery grip.
The lenses: 35+45+80+120 Makro+140+210.

The whole kit in mint condition for $11.000 USD

If Contax would have been alive,a replacement value of $20.000 USD would apply!
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Khun_K

• http://
Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 04:55:02 pm »

Quote from: mcfoto,Aug 20 2006, 07:20 AM
[. Will I be hurt with the switch to mamiya lenses. P.S. I have 1ds mk 11 and a 5d with a complete set of lenses Thanks David I cannot affor the h-2
Hi
I have been using the Mamiya 645 AF system since 1999. I did try the Contax on a job before I tried the Mamiya. Since I was a Canon user I had a hard time with the Contax because of all the wheels and dials. The Contax had the F stops on the lens plus there is no half stop clicks! In the end I put masking tape on the apeture ring so it would not move. It reminded me of the Canon FD lenses. The reason why I was looking at these cameras was I had to get rid of the Hasselblad as I could not focus it plus I was not impressed with the lens quality in B&W. From my tests I found the Hasselblad and Contax about the same lens quality. The deal breaker was the Mamiya was sharper in B&W than the Contax. The cost at the time was also a consideration. They were both made in Japan. I did like the rear focus on the Contax but it was slower AF than the Mamiya. The new 645 AFDII now has seperate focus (front or rear). When it came to lens sharpness I was comparing it to my Canon 85 1.2 which is an amazing lens. As far a quality goes, the only problem I had was blowing a shutter and Mamiya has improved the shutter in the645AFDII & the ZD. Any good camera repairer can replace a shutter. I was a Hasselblad user for 18 years and when I switched to Mamiya I have never missed the Hasselblad.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Lester

Contax 645 Keep or
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 07:52:32 pm »

Khun,

It seems that I could agree with you, now that I tested most all of the Mamiya AF lens, they seems to be all sharp even the 105-210 zoom, which I thought for sure would be fuzzy with the P45. In my younger years, back in the early 70's, all I would used is the Hass because of it sharpness and that is very important in my work. I did not used a Mamiya 645 AFD until I got it with my P25 about 2+ years ago. Now that I upgrade to a P45, I never look back. The Mamiya price is a lot cheaper then any of the H1 lens or Contax and to me it is just as sharp. I rather have 10 lens then 2-3 lens.

Quote from: Khun_K,Aug 31 2006, 04:55 PM
Hi
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=75116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
I am a old fart, over 60
Pages: [1]   Go Up