Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basic Question: ICC Profiles, Color space, Process Recipes  (Read 1516 times)

roscoetuff

• Skip Mersereau
Basic Question: ICC Profiles, Color space, Process Recipes
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:32:16 am »

Background: So I am using C1 to output TIFFs to print through ImagePrint. I must be perverse by compounding the color/software/tech issues in this way, but it has the merit of isolating printing from processing... and fits the "from camera to process to print" workflow using 3 separate spaces. And yet this pushes for figuring details in Capture One so that additional processing in ImagePrint is minimized.

Problem: Converted a Sony A7II raw file to B&W in Capture One. Exported the TIFF and tried to print. Having read through much of the Piezography and found a profile consistent with it for "Gray" in ImagePrint, I selected that and tried to print. Well... that was a total failure, and I have since learned to clear out the spooler in ImagePrint... which was waaaaay less obvious and more difficult ...as in you do this by hand rather than have it as a default. I've printed the TIFF file in an AdobeRGB space just to avoid a repetition, and it worked. But now I have some questions as you might imagine.

Question: I've read over the Linear vs. Film Standard notes here, and I've also found that Gamma 2.2 is a color space that seems to be a subset within AdobeRGB... so specifically trying to set a print profile for this would be redundant (I think). But there is also in the Linear vs. Film Standard mention of other ICC Profiles that I don't see in my pull down that... even with "ALL" rather than "ENABLED" clicked, I wonder where you find these? Suppose you wanted the ICC profile of an exported TIFF to be the Gamma 2.2, how would you do this? Whether it would be an improvement for monochrome or not, I couldn't see for myself without the option, and I'm not sure how you create that option... or whether it's moot. Google's not turning up a lot on this, so it might be a moot "don't bother with it" bit. Any one out there in LuLa land know?
"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer

scyth

Re: Basic Question: ICC Profiles, Color space, Process Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 12:28:47 pm »

Suppose you wanted the ICC profile of an exported TIFF to be the Gamma 2.2, how would you do this?
create a profile with 2.2 gamma in the proper tags (TRCs) or modify existing g2.2 profile with gamut, etc of whatever you want ... there are tools that allow you to edit icc/icm containers
Pages: [1]   Go Up