Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Emerging Technology Advances Creativity Series  (Read 3345 times)

adias

How Emerging Technology Advances Creativity Series
« on: December 11, 2016, 11:39:19 pm »

Several articles were published on this site on "How Emerging Technology Advances Creativity". Maybe this series helps someone but I am jaded by it. The whole series beams on a tech-ladden certain camera system and its miracle virtues, which, presumably will make anyone a star photographer.

Ansel Adams shot with a completely mechanical camera, lacking autofocusing, 5-axis stabilization, and all other gizmos, and his prints continue to be without par. If anything, many of the photos I see today, shot by these feature-ladden cameras, look artificial, etched, and unnatural; maybe it is art.

I am an engineer, and have been part of the tech revolution of the last 40 years, but I do not see technology for technology sake. In any case, this is my view, others may differ.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: How Emerging Technology Advances Creativity Series
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 04:18:16 am »

Ansel Adams shot with a completely mechanical camera, lacking autofocusing, 5-axis stabilization, and all other gizmos, and his prints continue to be without par. If anything, many of the photos I see today, shot by these feature-ladden cameras, look artificial, etched, and unnatural; maybe it is art.

"I eagerly await new concepts and processes. I believe that the electronic image will be the next major advance. Such systems will have their own inherent and inescapable structural characteristics, and the artist and functional practitioner will again strive to comprehend and control them." - Ansel Adams c1981 in the introduction to The Negative.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 04:25:53 am by john beardsworth »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »

We now regularly shoot images that would have been completely impossible just a few years ago.  The average DSLR can easily do competent astrophotography.  Ultra high resolution night aerials are now commonplace.  Timelapse of the auroras from low earth orbit are easily found on Youtube.

Everyone carries a high quality still camera and camcorder with them all the time.

This is the golden age of photography.

Ansel would be rejoicing.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 01:04:14 pm »

We now regularly shoot images that would have been completely impossible just a few years ago.  The average DSLR can easily do competent astrophotography.  Ultra high resolution night aerials are now commonplace.  Timelapse of the auroras from low earth orbit are easily found on Youtube.

Everyone carries a high quality still camera and camcorder with them all the time.

This is the golden age of photography.

Ansel would be rejoicing.
Yes he would.
And he would be using the new technology intelligently, getting the effects that he wanted from it, unlike most of the rest of us.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 01:12:03 pm »

The constant reference to Ansel Adams isn't helpful with respect to modern photography. We now are living in a different world to him. For instance how many photographers stand on the roof of a van with a camera and tripod? ;)

adias

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 01:32:38 pm »

The constant reference to Ansel Adams isn't helpful with respect to modern photography. We now are living in a different world to him. For instance how many photographers stand on the roof of a van with a camera and tripod? ;)

Ah, yes... no need to climb to a station wagon roof with 5-axis sensor stabilization, especially because that tech goes haywire when the van is swayed by winds. :) And do not use IS on a moving platform either...

To the other comments: Of course tech improvements facilitate taking pictures but they are not the 'sine qua non' for a great shot.

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 02:35:51 pm »

Is it the tool or the fool?  ;)  It's the fool, of course, but without the tool there's nothing for the fool to fool with. Creativity sparks tech development sparks creativity sparks…etc.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:03:02 pm »

Well, we learn better ways to cheat. Then we need to learn new ways to make the deception look real and not fake. Ansel? He did what he did well; that's about it. He was no saint, no clairvoyant, and certainly no career guru. Commercially, he did very poorly until he was picked up by a businessman and thrust into the fledgeling photo-art world... today we call 'em agents and/or gallery owners, depending where you want to become something. The ten-buck Adams print isn't that much ancient history; I think some here recount having passed up on the chance to buy. Nothing like later fame to raise price and create perceived worth.

Rob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 06:01:09 pm »

For instance how many photographers stand on the roof of a van with a camera and tripod? ;)

Michael & I. Hoping the agent wouldn't check the roof on return of the rental ;0

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 08:31:12 pm »

The ten-buck Adams print isn't that much ancient history; I think some here recount having passed up on the chance to buy. Nothing like later fame to raise price and create perceived worth.

Rob
Correction, Rob: My first Ansel prints were six bucks each.   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 03:48:38 am »

My first digital camera - 15 years ago - was a one megapixel  camera. No zoom and a horrible menu system. File size was about 500 kb and it took about 5 seconds to write an image to the card. My first card was a 32MB card and it cost £64. Still have the camera but it is definitely not getting used anymore. The tools are important along with good vision.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 07:34:05 am »

My first digital camera - 15 years ago - was a one megapixel  camera. No zoom and a horrible menu system. File size was about 500 kb and it took about 5 seconds to write an image to the card. My first card was a 32MB card and it cost £64. Still have the camera but it is definitely not getting used anymore. The tools are important along with good vision.

Indeed they are, stamper, but the tools, excellent, well pre-date digital.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up