Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Only Center Pane Visible  (Read 6769 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Only Center Pane Visible
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:36:56 pm »

Occasionally, for some reason I haven't been able to figure out and therefore can't reliably replicate, all of Lightroom's user interface panes except the center one disappear.  (See attached image.)  Some input of mine obviously is causing this; it doesn't happen spontaneously.  I haven't inadvertently set the application into Lights Out mode or hidden one or more of the control panels: it's just that everything is blacked-out except the center of the display.  I am unable to escape from this funny state using any of the interface-recovery methods I'm familiar with.  The only way I've found to restore the display to its normal state is to kill and relaunch the Lightroom process.  Can anybody out there explain this behavior, and tell me what to do to avoid it—or at least how to recover from it without restarting the application?

Franz Strelsky

Re: Only Center Pane Visible
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 02:01:50 pm »

Try the keys F, F5 - F8

Franz

Chris Kern

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:24:07 pm »

Try the keys F, F5 - F8

Thanks for the suggestion, but that isn't the problem.  The panels aren't hidden; they all are reported as displayed in the Window>Panels drop-down menu.  They are presumably still present, but the the panes which should be displaying them are all black.

Franz Strelsky

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 02:58:20 pm »

Sorry, oft of ideas
Franz

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »

Tried trashing plist (preferences list) for Lightroom (on Mac - not sure what is the equivalent on Win)?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:34:29 pm »

What version of Lightroom? Which operating system?

Chris Kern

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 05:17:17 pm »

Tried trashing plist (preferences list) for Lightroom (on Mac - not sure what is the equivalent on Win)?

Not yet.  Probably worth a try.  (It will take a while to determine whether that works since I have been unable to replicate the user interface problem on-demand.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 05:21:30 pm by Chris Kern »

Chris Kern

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 05:18:40 pm »

What version of Lightroom? Which operating system?

LR 2015.8 and at least one earlier rev.  OS X 10.11.6.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:30:15 am »

I think you are hitting the L key an putting Lightroom in lights out mode... Old way in Lightroom to see the image alone... Now everybody just press the F key to enter in fullscreen (I think it was introduced in Lightroom 5)

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:58:59 am »

Ok, I just tested it... It is not the lights out... Ignore my previous message...

http://dgpfotografia.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 04:07:28 am »

LR 2015.8 and at least one earlier rev.  OS X 10.11.6.

What's the graphics card? And RAM? I ask because I have occasionally seen something similar on my MBA but not on my PC, and the Air only has 4 gb RAM and just a built in GPU.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 04:08:19 am »

I've tried reproducing the view you are getting but can't. When I do L in library mode it darkens everything except the pictures. In your case the frames around the pictures as well as the rating/moving/... toolbar are still normally visible.

Did you have the same problem with earlier versions of Lightroom? If not maybe do a reinstall of version 6.8 (or 2015.8 ) and see if that cures it.

You've probably tried hitting "escape" as well as L, but those are the only thoughts I can come up with.
pieter, aka pegelli

mbaginy

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 05:22:14 am »

Chris, I’ve encountered exactly the same phenomenon on my iMac some months ago.  It happened while in the develop module.  Hitting the “G” key and returning to the library module only rectified the situation momentarily.  Every time I returned to develop. The side bars blacked out.  Frustrating!

I closed Lightroom CC, and then started up again and all was fine for a day or two.  I thought it had something to do with RAM (my iMac has 8GB).  I kept turning LR off, then on again for a few weeks.  In the past four weeks or so, the problem hasn’t returned.  Maybe some update rectified a bug.  I can’t recall having more software running in the background than in former times.  It remains a mystery to me but hasn’t returned, I almost forgot – until I read your post.

RickGraves

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »

Same problem which started with most recent LR CC update. Only solution is to exit LR and start again. FYI: LR 2015.8. OSX 10.11.6. Mac Pro (late 2013) 3.5 Ghz 6-Core, 32 GB memory, AMD FirePro D500 3MB; only other program running in the background was e-mail. Seems to happen when switching between modules -- Library -> Develop or Library -> Print etc. No predictable pattern. Happened once after an import, too. Frequency is about 2x an hour now. Suggestions? Thx.

mbaginy

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 01:51:21 pm »

Suggestions? Thx.
I know it's unsatisfactory, but my only suggestion is to keep exiting LR and then load it again.  Then hope the fault goes away after a while.  The phenomenon disappeared from my iMac after a few weeks.  Naturally I'd like to know what was the cause, but computers are sometimes beyond my understanding and remain mysterious.

Chris Kern

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 02:19:37 pm »

What's the graphics card? And RAM?

Same problem which started with most recent LR CC update. Only solution is to exit LR and start again. FYI: LR 2015.8. OSX 10.11.6. Mac Pro (late 2013) 3.5 Ghz 6-Core, 32 GB memory, AMD FirePro D500 3MB. . . .

Same machine and specs (and 64 GB of RAM).

I have no clue what operating system APIs or shared libraries the Lightroom developers use to paint the screen.  It has occurred to me that perhaps the graphics processor(s) may be implicated in the problem, but that's pure conjecture.  I just posted a description of the problem in the feedback.photoshop.com forum.  Hopefully, somebody at Adobe will notice it, and check to see whether there is a known bug that seems to match this behavior.

Unfortunately, because I haven't figured out a way to deliberately make this happen, even if somebody at Adobe wanted to follow up I couldn't provide enough information for them to replicate the problem.

Chris Kern

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 04:45:20 pm »

Victoria Bampton reports on feedback.photoshop.com that Adobe has determined this behavior is a bug.

RickGraves

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 09:04:32 pm »

Chris, thanks for the update. Nice to know I'm not crazy.

mbaginy

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 09:13:23 am »

Two days ago, this (missing side panels oddity) began again on my iMac.  Need to restart LR CC every two or three hours.  Rats!

Chris Kern

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 09:52:25 am »

Two days ago, this (missing side panels oddity) began again on my iMac.  Need to restart LR CC every two or three hours.  Rats!

According to Simon Chen of Adobe, as of a few days ago this was still being investigated.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up