Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPad Pro raw workflow & external storage  (Read 3771 times)

FrankG

IPad Pro raw workflow & external storage
« on: December 10, 2016, 04:49:55 pm »

Can anyone share their iPad Pro raw file workflow from camera to storage please.

I'm not so keen on cloud based options as they're slow up/down and better for smaller files.
Also they're focused on synchronization which could mean deleting it off the cloud if you delete from the camera roll, before saving to your desktop.

There seem to be many wireless drives and sticks for backing up the files but none appear to be able view raw files, although they can transfer them.
I will be away & not be at a computer so can't just connect the iPad to computer with the lightning to USB cable.

I'd like to know what you have found to work best.
My hope (when it arrives) is to bring my raw files into the iPad using either apple's camera adapter or card reader. Then process the files with a raw capable app like Lightroom mobile or snapseed or visco. Then save/backup the files to an external drive and be able to open them on my mac at home. Apparently there is away to export the .xmp sidecar file so that when you open the file in adobe camera raw or Lightroom, your edits will be intact?

It's pretty uncharted territory so I'd appreciate help getting this all setup.
Thanks,
Frank
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 05:15:14 pm by FrankG »

Hayhill

Re: IPad Pro raw workflow & external storage
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:18:10 am »

It is really pretty easy now with the latest versions of iOS, LR Mobile, and LR CC. RAWs to the Camera Roll by card reader or camera app, create new collection in LR mobile and add the RAWs, edit now or later. When the RAWs are added to LR mobile, they will be sync'd to your desk top, and the full resolution RAW will be added to the desk top as well (the exact location depends on your set up). This can take a while depending on the number, the file size, and your wifi speed (my 20 megapixel raws typically take 5 min each), so you may have to let it run overnight.
There are a number of instructional videos available on YOUTUBE.

FrankG

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:45:57 pm »

Do you actually practice this method yourself?
Is there a specific instructional video that you think lays the steps out particularly clearly.

For what you describe, I'd have to upgrade my old desktop which has an old OS and cant run Lr CC. I'm still working with PS6 (it has ACR & Bridge built in).
I had been hoping to be able to take the iPad edited raw files back to my home computer via a usb stick or hard drive. But I don't think it's possible.

Hayhill

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 02:52:20 pm »

Just for full disclosure, I am an amateur doing mostly travel and nature photography. I am a long time user of Lightroom, and have taught classes about it, but just in the last fews week have gotten very interested in using LRMobile, and so far have used it in more of a test mode than anything else  It has worked beautifully for me so far except for the upload time issue. I sounds like you  would have to have a major upgrade in both hardware and software to do what I am talking about. Besides the cost, just switching to a Lightroom workflow is a major time investment.

As for instructions videos and on line education I would recommend you got to youtube.com and search for Matt Kloskowski, Terry White, and/or Julieanne Kost for their videos. All 3 are well know Lightroom educators with excellent teaching methods. I am sure there are many others as well - just search Lightroom Mobile and check out the most recent ones.

Best of luck to you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up