Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony 16MP sensors  (Read 2077 times)

Jonathan Cross

Sony 16MP sensors
« on: December 09, 2016, 07:14:04 am »

I have read that Sony has ceased production of its 16MP sensors.  If true, does that mean if such a sensor fails on a camera body, then a replacement will not be available and the body will be useless?

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

shadowblade

Re: Sony 16MP sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:17:25 am »

Given that the sensor is by far the most expensive part of the body, if the sensor fails, the body is basically worthless anyway.

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:51:09 pm »

As best I can tell all of this is one rumor mill repeating another rumor mill repeating another rumor mill.

Probably best to wait for Sony or the camera companies to announce something. 

I've been using digital cameras for 15 years and can't recall a sensor failure although it is possible that someone has encountered that.  Most companies do have parts stocked to fix cameras for quite some time.  I'm not sure if there are laws that touch this like they do for cars.
Regards,
Ron

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »

Even if the rumor of a rumor of a rumor is true, it doesn't mean you wont be able to get your camera repaired for a long time.  When semiconductor companies discontinue making a certain product to free up the capacity for newer products, they usually make enough to cover warranty and repair claims for a few years out.

scyth

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 03:39:05 pm »

I have read that Sony has ceased production of its 16MP sensors.  If true, does that mean if such a sensor fails on a camera body, then a replacement will not be available and the body will be useless?

Jonathan

repair centers usually end up w/ a lot of cameras dead for other reasons, so they always have source of used sensor modules... just like a warranty on your car does not make sure that parts will be always brand new (or may be some luxury brands do - like bentey or so)... now even that eventually can dry out, but you can always keep an eye on ebay yourself to have a spare body for parts

hogloff

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 10:14:18 am »

repair centers usually end up w/ a lot of cameras dead for other reasons, so they always have source of used sensor modules... just like a warranty on your car does not make sure that parts will be always brand new (or may be some luxury brands do - like bentey or so)... now even that eventually can dry out, but you can always keep an eye on ebay yourself to have a spare body for parts

I doubt companies will rely on used sensors for their repair centers. Good companies will do a last buy of the sensors projected out to cover the support lifespan of their cameras.
Pages: [1]   Go Up