Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updates released: Adobe Camera Raw 9.8, Lightroom CC2015.8/6.8, iOS/Android  (Read 9238 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Updates released: Adobe Camera Raw 9.8, Lightroom CC2015.8/6.8, iOS/Android
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 01:40:36 pm »

I watched a few minutes of it ... watching a few minutes of the “Nimbus” demo reminds me a little of Apple and the Aperture/Photos scenario. 

Do you think their current development energies are on a project like this with an eventual migration away from Lr, or do you see Nimbus as a tool targeted for the same market as Photos on the Mac OS?

Not quite sure I see this as a good thing.  Probably good for Adobe, but wondering how it will affect Lr development.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 02:55:47 pm »

They're pitching this as desktop sibling to the mobile apps, not a Lightroom replacement, but only time will tell.

I remember that my very first reaction to Lightroom Mobile was to ask if I could run it on my laptop as the "networked Lightroom" I'd always expected. For some of us this Nimbus might be that tool, a desktop client for Lightroom that uses the cloud rather than local networks. But others find Lightroom too difficult, so for them it might be Adobe's Photos-equivalent. And while it's natural to wonder about resources, a lot of Lightroom enthusiasts have suggested there is space for a Lite version - too.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 03:50:05 pm »

a lot of Lightroom enthusiasts have suggested there is space for a Lite version - too.
certainly agree there, just targeted for a completely different market than most of Adobe’s current software.  Of course one of the easiest way to increase revenue is to to increase customer base.  That’s the challenge with apple, their customer base has expanded exponentially since the introduction of the iPhone, but certainly most from a very different market segment, which means power users are perhaps not seeing as much interest from Apple on improving the mac.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 10:06:17 pm »

a lot of Lightroom enthusiasts have suggested there is space for a Lite version - too.

Plus hopefully that would lead to the 'regular' Lightroom being able to go in the opposite direction..  Becoming more Photoshop-esque.  Like a choice of demosaicing algorithms for starters, rotation/flip information becoming resettable to it's original state without having to remove and reimport or create VC's (ultra advanced feature, apparently), more clarity options (ala C1), diffraction correction (C1), a better color editor like C1 (and as local adjustments), curves under local adjustments (C1), more advancements in the Library module.....   Oy!  Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, here..  It's nice to dream, though.  8)

To me it doesn't matter that I wouldn't be an expert at all that.  It would just be nice to have the options to.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:12:20 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

dreed

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 10:54:51 am »

Is there a way out of "Reference View" that doesn't involve leaving Develop?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 11:35:53 am »

Is there a way out of "Reference View" that doesn't involve leaving Develop?

Yes, you just click on the single image icon in the bottom left corner or push the D key.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 01:38:11 pm »

Reference view is going to be very useful for me. I shoot thousands of product images. I shoot thethered and auto import into LR for client approval. Inevitably I have to match angles and lighting over periods of time. I will create collections of the various products for various clients then when shooting for them set the relevant image as a reference and then shoot to match. I'm going to love it. My clients are going to love it.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 03:10:31 pm »

Reference view is going to be very useful for me. I shoot thousands of product images. I shoot thethered and auto import into LR for client approval. Inevitably I have to match angles and lighting over periods of time. I will create collections of the various products for various clients then when shooting for them set the relevant image as a reference and then shoot to match. I'm going to love it. My clients are going to love it.

I'm sure that is one reason why this tool was created, and creating collections of reference images is a good idea. One thought is to add them to the Favorite Sources - that's in the Recent Sources in the filmstrip.

I've found Ref View very handy for correcting colour casts from 10 and 15 stop ND filters. I can usually use other pics taken at the same time but without a filter

dreed

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 07:40:14 am »

I wonder if "Reference View" would work well in a two monitor scenario (both monitors being identical or at least colour calibrated) with the Reference View on the second monitor?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 11:41:17 am »

I wonder if "Reference View" would work well in a two monitor scenario (both monitors being identical or at least colour calibrated) with the Reference View on the second monitor?

In fact, there was a way to do this before. You enabled the second screen and set it to a single "locked" image. It was very cumbersome, and even more obscure.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up