Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One and compressed Fuji Raw files  (Read 3274 times)

Harald L

Capture One and compressed Fuji Raw files
« on: December 06, 2016, 10:36:50 am »

Forehand I have to admit that CO10 performes well on my System and that the results of warping my Fuji-XTrans RAWs are really satisfying.

But the lack of compressed Fuji RAF support is bothering me a lot. It's not only that I waste a lot of memory but much more I can't understand this annoying "No-Comment-Policy". The web is full of rumors of why CO doesn't support compressed Fuji's RAFs and meantime it's not only me who is rather uncertainly on CO's politics.

So if anybody CO guy hear me: Why don't you make a clear statement on this issue and resolve all our doubts? Customers loyality is a matter of open communication.
Glad to be an amateur

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Capture One and compressed Fuji Raw files
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:49:12 am »

I logged a support call 2 weeks ago and was told they do intend to support compressed XPro2 and XT2 files but wouldn't give a timescale. They have in fact made public statements - see this post from September - along the same lines. It must be very difficult. ::)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:18 am »

I logged a support call 2 weeks ago and was told they do intend to support compressed XPro2 and XT2 files but wouldn't give a timescale. They have in fact made public statements - see this post from September - along the same lines. It must be very difficult. ::)

Maybe (also) difficult to fit in with all the other things they need to do witin the alotted time budget. Market share undoubtedly also factors in, i.e. for how many users would it be a benefit if they dedicated their scarce resources to compressed Xtrans support, compared to other solutions for other cameras/backs.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Harald L

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:12:58 pm »

Maybe (also) difficult to fit in with all the other things they need to do witin the alotted time budget. Market share undoubtedly also factors in, i.e. for how many users would it be a benefit if they dedicated their scarce resources to compressed Xtrans support, compared to other solutions for other cameras/backs.

Cheers,
Bart

Isn't it funny that literally all the other vendors do support compressed Fuji RAFs?
Glad to be an amateur

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »

Isn't it funny that literally all the other vendors do support compressed Fuji RAFs?

I wouldn't know about "all the other vendors", and I recon that 'support' is something that's open for discussion if Raw conversion quality is factored in. Maybe it's something as mundane that they first need to buy some of those cameras to do the color and lensprofiling, and Fuji won't help them with that. I don't know, and neither do you, just speculating.

And (improved) support for Canon mRAW / sRAW and Nikon RAW M (and RAW S for D5 and D500), was only just added with version 10, so it's not that they are singling out Fuji.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:33 pm »

Other vendors do not use the same pipeline. Phase One chose not to take the easy route for XTrans support; this resulted in a much better conversion for Fuji files than "all the other vendors" but it also complicates supporting the compressed files.

As noted by others above, there is no need for conspiracy theories; just patience.

JWB

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:22:01 pm »

I wouldn't know about "all the other vendors", and I recon that 'support' is something that's open for discussion if Raw conversion quality is factored in. Maybe it's something as mundane that they first need to buy some of those cameras to do the color and lensprofiling, and Fuji won't help them with that. I don't know, and neither do you, just speculating.

And (improved) support for Canon mRAW / sRAW and Nikon RAW M (and RAW S for D5 and D500), was only just added with version 10, so it's not that they are singling out Fuji.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, the Fuji lossless compressed files from the X-T2 are not analogous to Canon mRAW/sRAW or Nikon RAW M, which are neither lossless nor true RAW files. Instead, the Fuji lossless compressed files from the X-T2 are analogous to Nikon lossless compressed RAW files and Canon lossless compressed RAW files. Capture One has already presumably done all the color profiling necessary for the X-T2, since Capture One already supports the Fuji lossless uncompressed files from the X-T2. It appears to be merely a matter of decompressing the files.

Note: No lens profiling is necessary for the Fuji cameras, since C1 relies on the lens profiles embedded in the Fuji RAW files.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:59:46 pm »

Bart, the Fuji lossless compressed files from the X-T2 are not analogous to Canon mRAW/sRAW or Nikon RAW M, which are neither lossless nor true RAW files. Instead, the Fuji lossless compressed files from the X-T2 are analogous to Nikon lossless compressed RAW files and Canon lossless compressed RAW files. Capture One has already presumably done all the color profiling necessary for the X-T2, since Capture One already supports the Fuji lossless uncompressed files from the X-T2. It appears to be merely a matter of decompressing the files.

Note: No lens profiling is necessary for the Fuji cameras, since C1 relies on the lens profiles embedded in the Fuji RAW files.

Unless you want C1 to generate a NEW file that is not compressed and then work from that, there has to be an efficient algorithm to do the decompression, preferably one that scales to multiple cores or GPU, and which can be done concurrently with other steps so performance isn't unduly hit... that then needs to be tested across a variety of CPU/GPU/OS/files/use-cases.

If it was especially easy it would already be done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up