Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K video cam  (Read 3223 times)

martin archer-shee

4K video cam
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:50:16 pm »

My Sony PD150 has been great but definitely long  in the tooth. A few days ago it had a headache when it had a clogged head and would only play back one field. Naturally had a recording to do the next day. Friend lent me his 4k camcorder and I was impressed. Neat transferring an hour and half video the computer in 3 minutes vs the full time. Quality too.

Any suggestions for a 4K similar to what the old PD150 was. Put it another way... I do mostly dance performances in a theatre and need xlr connectors. This ensures no neighbour talk and gives me stage and music lines.

Thought about renting but looks like rental places have gone in Canada due to postal and theft/damage problems.

All thoughts appreciated.

Martin

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: 4K video cam
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 08:33:43 pm »

Wait 'til Panasonic introduces the GH5 during 2017 and then buy a discounted GH4

Maybe not the YAGH box (for XLR input) depending on price. I prefer separate audio system.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:36:28 pm »

Any suggestions for a 4K similar to what the old PD150 was. Put it another way... I do mostly dance performances in a theatre and need xlr connectors. This ensures no neighbour talk and gives me stage and music lines.

Without som idea of your budget, it's hard to recommend something. But there are a lot of choices out there. Closest to what you have might be the Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1222976-REG/sony_pxw_z150_4k_xdcam_camcorder.html
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 03:30:05 pm »

I agree with Chris's suggestion and would add that the step down model, the PXW-Z70 is also well reviewed and uses the same one inch sensor. It has XLRs as well. A little over a thousand dollars less in cost...

martin archer-shee

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:37:48 pm »

Thanks to all three for the suggestions. The GH4 sounds very nice, but strange to my view, as a camera first. However it seems to have a lot going for it and as Chris suggests wait for the GH5. Love discounts etc. The lack of xlr's is still a difficulty. The z150 sounds like a great replacement but a bit pricier than I want. Maybe the Z70 is a better mix. I will have to check it out.

Thanks again to all three of you.

Martin

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 04:45:12 am »

The GH4 has the 'yagh' box that can offer XLR input.

The device was never popular and can be found for a large discount.

It has some gotchas though..

-the yag box snags the onboard monitor if you flip it out
-needs external power via 4pin XLR
-some audio monitoring issues aka the HF out has a serious delay

I have a GH4 and it has never really worked for me, shapewise,

You could consider a Sony FS5 or Canon C100

Be aware that zooms on 'S35' chip cameras are too short/not wide enough/costly

As for the one inch sensor cameras they are probably the simplest step from your current camera.

There is also something called the panasonic DVX200 - I know little of it but it might tick some boxes.

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up