Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: the x-y Easel is going legit  (Read 83050 times)

arobinson7547

Re: the x-y Easel is going legit
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 10:00:27 am »

For at least, 'one' of the loyal followers of the X-Y Easel [and the Science behind it], any ETA on this update?

I have to say, I have read and re-read every word of the two X-Y Easel Threads and I must say, this is an absolutely Brilliant idea. I can tell (read) that many don't get it; and I understand — it can be hard to 'unlearn' what you already know. Fortunately, I was already 'out side of the box' I can see the intent and benefits, of which there are many, very clearly.

My only concern is that I hope the original intent of this Project does not get overshadowed by the fanfare and bling of all the technology. (I saw one of your earlier builds in a Movie on the official website and in a still picture. It was quite a modest build BUT it was, Simple, Light enough to be in the field, Yet, strong enough to withstand knocks and dings that accompany mobile equipment, unintimidating, totally unobtrusive to the Artwork it was holding, it could muscle up a little over 60 inches with ease; but at the same time it had a very small footprint.

One of my favorite builds it the one with the 80/20 extruded aluminum. Pop the sucker in the car, and 'go to' the Artwork and Capture it 'the way the Artist saw it'.

I would then take some of my Profits and 'treat myself' to the Wow factor of those silky smooth and quite Linear Bearings and Rails.

There is one other thing I noticed about my favorite build; the top and bottom supporting hardware left the edges of the Painting clean with nothing in the Cameras way. You get a nice straight line and no chance of any over cast shadow (like that downward lip of the classic easel clamps)

What I would like to see in a future build.

An option to pull the canvas apart from the back (stretching it). This would benefit large Canvases that could sag under a little pleasure or ones that may already sag a bit.

And anything (if it doesn't already exist) that helps to resist repositioning when you accidently dump against the Canvas. I'm think spikes.  (I'm just realizing this one isn't quite as necessary with the automated x-y movement. That bumping only happens when you have to 'manually' move a Canvas. You get to the top row, bump the Canvas, throwing it out of the plane that you carefully set with the Zip-Align (a never new how far off I was until I got this thing)

Anyway, this X-Y Easel has the benefits of a MUCH more expensive solution, without the cost. Can't argue with that and wouldn't want to.

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 11:52:28 am »

So here's the deal. 

This has gone through a lot of development recently, what with the fact I started a makerspace and how have a bunch more tools and tech at my disposal.  While I'd love to just release the plans as-is, I've also been working hard to get the latest improvements, along with the CAD files and 3D printer files finalized as well.  I realized that's a pipe dream.  Every time I build it, I improve some thing or other.  So I made a decision to release the plans. 

What you get is a description of the build, a parts list and the sources for the parts.  Currently it only includes the wall-mount, which, after about 5 years of use, I've decided is by far the best design.  There are a few missing details which I'm updating and releasing as I get them nailed down. 

You can order the complete package, along with the 3D and CAD files, by emailing me at ted@teddillard.com.  The price is $250, and the plans represent about 10 years of work on this.  I'll give you a link to the download, and will update you as I update the document.  Basically, you get lifetime support.  That's the best I can do, I hope y'all understand. 

I've had a few people do this, and they are quite happy...  I'll also do my best to support anyone who orders it via email, phone or text, or in the case of one guy in New Zealand, Facebook Messenger.  :D .

The link to the easel itself is here: http://www.atelierprint.org/2018/08/09/the-essential-tools-the-x-y-easel/
Ted Dillard

arobinson7547

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 05:40:59 pm »

Thank you, Sir.

I, for one, am in. And will be sending my $250.

And not only that, I NOW have a reason to start eating healthy (so I can live longer, [with the lifetime support, and all <wink>]

Anyone got a stick of Celery?

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 01:46:29 pm »

You're so welcome, and thanks for the encouragement and support! 

This past weekend the new belt-driven motor setup passed the electrical testing, and I'll be updating with those specs and parts.  Stay tuned!
Ted Dillard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up