Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Bought Another HP Z3200PS 44" - Fantastic Deal  (Read 9025 times)

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Just Bought Another HP Z3200PS 44" - Fantastic Deal
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:42 pm »

Thanks to Barry685 for his link to ProImaging, I just bought a SHINY NEW HP DesignJet Z3200ps 44" printer.

ProImaging Has them for $2,995.00 with FREE SHIPPING

The site shows the printer as a Q6721A, but I called and checked and was told they are all "B" models.

Indeed, when the final invoice came through, it said Q6721B

I am putting my money where my mouth is.  This is the 4th printer our business has.
This is an unbeatable price.  Thanks very much for the link Barry685.

Whatever HP has in mind for this printer, which apparently seems to have an uncertain future, I am insuring that we're good to go for several more years.

This price is incredible.  If you have been sitting on the fence about this printer... just saying.
And nope - I have NO affiliation with the company or anyone who works there, etc.

-Mark

EDIT - Free Shipping if you have a loading dock or forklift. 
           Delivery with lift gate is $90 extra for lift gate.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:28:40 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Just Bought Another HP Z3200PS 44" !!! FANTASTIC DEAL!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 09:54:30 pm »

Are you shure you did not buy this :) ?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:39:09 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:33:57 pm »

Are you shure you did not by this :) ?

Yes Kers, I'm sure.  ::)

Here it is:

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 02:28:16 am »

Pity it's so hard to move printers from the US.

The same thing costs 4 times aa much in Australia.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 11:02:09 am »

So how many Z printers do you now have Mark? Seems awfully tempting.

stockjock

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »

I'm not quite sure what the advantages of the HP printers are compared to Canon or Epson but right now Atlex is running a special deal on the Canon Pro 4000 that is compelling.  With rebates the price of the printer drops to $3496 and then they are giving you a free set of 160 ml inks.  They are claiming the ink is worth $1164 which I suppose is true but the 330ml are about 14% cheaper so maybe it is really  $1000 of free ink.  That still makes it by far and away the best price on a 44" wide printer I have ever seen.

http://www.atlex.com/canon-imageprograf-pro-4000-printer-44-wide-format-1.html?utm_source=ATX+December+Canon+Pro4000+Deal&utm_campaign=Pro-4000+Ink+Rebate+Atlex&utm_medium=email

It looks like this deal is available through December 15th.  If I didn't already have a full set of unused inks and an extra print head for my iPF8400 I would buy this in a second.  Hell, I may buy it and stick it in storage for a year or two LOL.  I imagine the other vendors have similar pricing right now.

FWIW

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 01:33:02 pm »

I'm not quite sure what the advantages of the HP printers are compared to Canon or Epson but right now Atlex is running a special deal on the Canon Pro 4000 that is compelling.  With rebates the price of the printer drops to $3496 and then they are giving you a free set of 160 ml inks.  They are claiming the ink is worth $1164 which I suppose is true but the 330ml are about 14% cheaper so maybe it is really  $1000 of free ink.  That still makes it by far and away the best price on a 44" wide printer I have ever seen.

http://www.atlex.com/canon-imageprograf-pro-4000-printer-44-wide-format-1.html?utm_source=ATX+December+Canon+Pro4000+Deal&utm_campaign=Pro-4000+Ink+Rebate+Atlex&utm_medium=email

It looks like this deal is available through December 15th.  If I didn't already have a full set of unused inks and an extra print head for my iPF8400 I would buy this in a second.  Hell, I may buy it and stick it in storage for a year or two LOL.  I imagine the other vendors have similar pricing right now.

FWIW

That looks like a pretty good deal if you want Canon.
Apples and oranges, however.  Here's what the HP Z3200ps 44" has that the Canon doesn't:

Standard equipment embedded spectrophotometer to make custom profiles in house.
No extra charge - it is built into the printer. Can make and store 30 custom profiles of 30 different papers.
Infinite number of paper profiles can be made.

Micro-drop technology - you can leave this printer for 2 months or more at a time and it will not clog.

HP Vivera inks - still the leader in many instances on certain papers - 200 yr. longevity.

Reasonably priced replaceable printheads.  $70 for a printhead that has 2 color heads.
No problem user replacement.

Extremely efficient ink usage- it's an ink mizer.

Light weight, easily moved, and easily set up.

All in all, theCanon you describe does not have the embedded spectrophotometer.
If you can get one, it would be a $1700.  The Canon printhead replacement is $675+

So really not the same machines at all.

Unquestionably, Canon printers are excellent. 
We have one in house as well.  They are real workhorses.

I will stick with the 4 Z3200ps printers as long as we can continue to run them, however.

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »

Pity it's so hard to move printers from the US.

The same thing costs 4 times aa much in Australia.

What would it cost to ship one to you? 
Is it the taxes and tariffs that are the problem, or simply the weight, bulk and distance?
S12,000 US would be a deal killer for sure.

No way to send it in a container with a moving company somehow or using a broker?

The owner of ProImaging.com , Ted Williams, is a sharp guy - maybe you could get in touch with him.
He just might ship you a printer.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 04:08:00 pm »

So how many Z printers do you now have Mark? Seems awfully tempting.

Actually 4, now, John.  My original Z3100 44", a Z3200 24", a Z3200ps, 44", and now this new Z3200ps 44"

Too great a deal to pass up.

Want to be sure HP we're covered if HP decides to stop manufacturing them.

Just never know.

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 04:59:35 pm »

Hell Mark, you be a real HP fan boy!!!!!!! ;-)
I agree, the built-in spectro is worth atleast $500 if you are talking using a Spyder print, or other profile creating device. Also, once you create a profile, it doesn't change, because you can recalibrate the papers periodically as needed.

The the best part is the reliability of the machine, lack of having to do routine nozzle checks, it's just always ready to do a print!!!!!
Also, the heads seem to last a long time compared to the Canon print heads. What I'm hearing is that Canon heads last about a year and a half, if you use them a lot, or not. They cost something under $500 each, and the machine takes two. Most Canon users keep a spare(you can use it in either slot)

Also, the HP printing algorithm uses a lot of gray ink for gray component removal (The  Lt Gray ink is used the most). This means the image will naturally print very neutral in gray areas. Also probably has a lot to do with the nearly linear fade properties of HP prints compared to Epson.

Another tip, is you can buy the 300ml Designjet 772 carts and use them in the machine, just by removing the cap with the chip from the HP70 cart before it is totally empty, and put it on the 772. You do lose the ability to monitor ink levels in that cart. But it's easy to remove the cart and shake it to see about how much ink you have left. Not all Z3200 colors are available, but the much used Lt Gray, both blacks and yellow are! Provantage regularly sells these carts for just over $100@ https://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs/Q?SEC=&QUERY=designjet+772&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:17:54 pm by John Nollendorfs »

na goodman

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:51:49 pm »

My question is - is this not the same printer that came out in 2008? And since hp is not in the wide format printing business any more (as far as I know, I may be wrong) how long will they offer support and parts on an 8 year old printer, even though you are purchasing it new.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 07:07:20 pm »

My question is - is this not the same printer that came out in 2008? And since hp is not in the wide format printing business any more (as far as I know, I may be wrong) how long will they offer support and parts on an 8 year old printer, even though you are purchasing it new.

Not in the Wide Format Printing busines, HP?

HP IS in the wide format printing business

how long will they offer support and parts on an 8 year old printer?  We will just have to see I guess. 

There are so many parts out there worldwide I think it would be a really long time before they all dry up.
Having 4 printers that almost all the parts are interchangeable gives me an edge...

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 07:16:48 pm »

Hell Mark, you be a real HP fan boy!!!!!!! ;-)
I agree, the built-in spectro is worth atleast $500 if you are talking using a Spyder print, or other profile creating device. Also, once you create a profile, it doesn't change, because you can recalibrate the papers periodically as needed.

The the best part is the reliability of the machine, lack of having to do routine nozzle checks, it's just always ready to do a print!!!!!
Also, the heads seem to last a long time compared to the Canon print heads. What I'm hearing is that Canon heads last about a year and a half, if you use them a lot, or not. They cost something under $500 each, and the machine takes two. Most Canon users keep a spare(you can use it in either slot)

Also, the HP printing algorithm uses a lot of gray ink for gray component removal (The  Lt Gray ink is used the most). This means the image will naturally print very neutral in gray areas. Also probably has a lot to do with the nearly linear fade properties of HP prints compared to Epson.

Another tip, is you can buy the 300ml Designjet 772 carts and use them in the machine, just by removing the cap with the chip from the HP70 cart before it is totally empty, and put it on the 772. You do lose the ability to monitor ink levels in that cart. But it's easy to remove the cart and shake it to see about how much ink you have left. Not all Z3200 colors are available, but the much used Lt Gray, both blacks and yellow are! Provantage regularly sells these carts for just over $100@ https://www.provantage.com/service/searchsvcs/Q?SEC=&QUERY=designjet+772&SUBMIT.x=0&SUBMIT.y=0

All good points HP fanboy Nollendorfs!   ;D
Sounds like you've got what I left out covered.
Hmmmmmm. The ability to read charts at later times, and with various coatings?
For those in the know, the ability to make profiles for other printers?

How about a printer you can actually work on?

Oh and the gloss enhancer, don't want to leave that out.

Versatility, reliability, workability, maneuverability, proven track record, longevity, ease of use.

What more could I want.  Don't get me started.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

na goodman

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:24 pm »

I guess I meant I thought they got out of the wide format Art/Photography printers. I know they do a lot with signage and other areas. You're right though, having 4 printers with interchangeable parts is a plus.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 11:01:50 pm »

I guess I meant I thought they got out of the wide format Art/Photography printers. I know they do a lot with signage and other areas. You're right though, having 4 printers with interchangeable parts is a plus.

Yes, I understood your original question.  As fraught with corporate issues as HP has been, they created this Z series of printers that have spanned nearly if not fully a decade. At the time it rocked Large Format with all the innovations, and literally raised the bar for color technology with their Vivera inks which have stood the test of time since then, being even today in the forefront in some cases.  They revolutionized Large Format printing at the time by making a printer that allowed many to work with LF for the first time due to ease of use and reliability. In that time, the only major significant change was to add chromium Red with the Z3200's and software tweaks over the years. 

They have stuck with and stood behind their technology with an "if it ain't broke don't fix it policy" that has served them well over the years.  No other company has achieved this record of success regarding a printer series based on original design and relatively flawless output.

The Barcelona team that created this marvel created a timeless beauty which will no doubt live on well past the end run production with dedicated users continuing to favor the machines.  They can be repaired and worked on like apple pie and Chevrolet of the 50's and 60's.  The chief concern when they stop making them will not be parts because so many of these printers have been made, it will be the Vivera Ink, and particularly the colors that are no longer made in the other more recent models using Vivera.

HP has always played their cards very close to the vest.  What is going on in the future will be equally earth shattering when it comes out.  HP welcomes competition.  They are the Large Format giant of the world.  That giant only appears to be sleeping. Eventually, a new printer that is unquestionably world class will yet again make its way to the forefront as they will yet again raise the bar in color technology and overall performance.  Will it be the Z3300?  Doubtful, as they have already created new inks for the future that test better than Vivera.

The Z Series is like a classic car.  They will move on past it someday.  As long as I can find printheads and inks, I won't.  (As in never say never.)

To say that HP got out of LF printers is so far off the mark. They just continue to sell, sell, sell the Z3200ps printers and laugh all the way to the bank.  They are just quiet about it right now.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

na goodman

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 12:15:30 am »

Well said. Anyways I'm glad you got a new Z to add to the pack.

stockjock

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:51 am »

That looks like a pretty good deal if you want Canon.
Apples and oranges, however.  Here's what the HP Z3200ps 44" has that the Canon doesn't:

Standard equipment embedded spectrophotometer to make custom profiles in house.
No extra charge - it is built into the printer. Can make and store 30 custom profiles of 30 different papers.
Infinite number of paper profiles can be made.

Micro-drop technology - you can leave this printer for 2 months or more at a time and it will not clog.

HP Vivera inks - still the leader in many instances on certain papers - 200 yr. longevity.

Reasonably priced replaceable printheads.  $70 for a printhead that has 2 color heads.
No problem user replacement.

Extremely efficient ink usage- it's an ink mizer.

Light weight, easily moved, and easily set up.

All in all, theCanon you describe does not have the embedded spectrophotometer.
If you can get one, it would be a $1700.  The Canon printhead replacement is $675+

So really not the same machines at all.

Unquestionably, Canon printers are excellent. 
We have one in house as well.  They are real workhorses.

I will stick with the 4 Z3200ps printers as long as we can continue to run them, however.

I agree that the Canon printheads on the iPFx400 series are the real Achilles heal of the printer.  Expensive and not very long lasting.  I guess only time with tell if the Pro-4000 and Pro-2000 heads turn out to be any better. 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:35 am »

The Z3200 model is a tiny twig on the huge HP wide format printers tree. It shares several components, inks, spindels, with other models.
If it gets anywhere near the DesignJet 5500 lifespan there is at least another decade future for it.

Mark made a very nice deal if I compare it to new and secondhand prices in the EU.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

NackJich

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 03:29:28 pm »

Congratulations on your amazing deal. In the UK not long ago I paid almost this amount for a five year old Z3200PS (with which I'm delighted). I saw your comment "For those in the know, the ability to make profiles for other printers?" I'm intrigued .. Wonder if you could elaborate? Thanks. NJ

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »

Actually Ernst Dinkla and Geraldo Garcia, possibly John Dean are the experts with this.
Basically a target that the HP can read is printed by another printer on the substrate to be profiled and used by that other printer. That printed target from the other printer is fed into the Z Series printer and read by the ESP. It makes a profile for the paper that can then be used by the other printer.
It's just that it puts the other printer's ICC profile in the Z series list.
There are a few tricks such as choosing the specific target to be printed, etc., etc., however it works great.  I wish either Ernst or Carlos would do a tutorial.

You can experiment with. Your printer using the color center.  Look at the alternatives for printing a target then waiting to reload the paper and creating a profile at a later time.

Hopefully others who do this will elaborate.

EDIT:

Here are instructions from HP about making profiles - some great info included if you read it:

Create your own profile
You can create a color profile easily by using the HP Color Center: select Paper Preset Management > Profile Paper. The printer helps you by prompting for information about the paper, then creates and installs the new profile automatically.

The process takes about 15–20 minutes and consists of the following steps.

A profiling chart is printed, which contains patches of each ink used in your printer. Unlike a calibration chart, most of the patches contain combinations of more than one ink.
The printer chooses automatically between two profile charts:
An A3 or B format for cut sheets
2: Profiling chart (A3)

A roll-paper format that minimizes paper use by printing across the full width of the roll
3: Profiling chart (roll)

The chart is allowed to dry for a period of time that depends on the paper type, so that the colors have time to stabilize.
If you would like to use a longer drying time, you can ask the HP Color Center to create the chart without going on to create a profile (Windows: Print target only; Mac OS: Print ICC profiling chart). Then, later, when the chart is completely dry, you can restart the HP Color Center and ask it to create a profile using the chart you have already created (Windows: Create ICC profile from a target that has already been printed; Mac OS: Scan ICC profiling chart and create ICC profile). In this case the spectrophotometer takes a while to warm up before it is ready to scan.
The chart is scanned and measured using the HP Embedded Spectrophotometer.
Chart measurement may not be successful if you load the chart as a single sheet without skew check.
From the measurements made by the spectrophotometer, the printer calculates the ICC profile for your printer, inks and paper type.
The new ICC profile is stored in the correct system folder on your computer, where your application programs can find it.
The profile is also stored in the printer, so that other computers connected to the same printer can copy it. The HP Printer Utility will notify you if your printer has profiles that are not yet stored on your computer.
Some applications may need to be closed and restarted in order to use a profile that has just been created.
You can profile a photo paper with the gloss enhancer on or off. The two profiles will be different, so you are recommended to save them under different names.

Color measurement
You can also create a color profile by using a third-party profiling program and the Color Measurement facility. To begin Color Measurement:

Using the HP Printer Utility for Windows, select Color Center > Paper Preset Management > Color Measurement.
Using the HP Printer Utility for Mac OS, select HP Color Center > Paper Preset Management. Select the paper type, then press the  button and select Color Measurement from the popup menu.
Continue with the following steps.

Choose the workflow that you want to use from the following options:
Print and measure a color chart performs printing and measurement in a single process. You can choose whether to use gloss enhancer and how much drying time to allow.
Print a color chart for later measurement assumes that you will measure the printed chart at some later time to complete the process. You can choose whether to use gloss enhancer.
Measure a previously printed color chart completes the process if you have a color chart ready for measurement. Load the chart in the correct direction as indicated by the arrows, loading multiple pages in the correct order, and do not cut the paper.
Export a color chart as a TIFF for printing externally allows you to use a different program (a RIP, for example) to print the color chart. Do not modify the TIFF file in any way before printing it. The printed chart should be exactly the correct size; the simplest way to achieve this is to print it on a paper size larger than the chart and then cut the paper after printing as indicated by the crop marks.
If printing a chart, select one of the available charts.
If measuring a chart, select the characteristics of the measurements file: what sort of information it should contain (CGATS and MonacoPROFILER formats are supported), and where the file should be saved.
Chart measurement may not be successful if you load the chart as a single sheet without skew check.
Open the measurements file with your profiling program.
The printer's spectrophotometer measures from 400 to 700 nm in steps of 20 nm. All other measurement types are interpolated.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:33:55 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up