Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early ON1 Photo RAW testing?  (Read 15279 times)

mburke

Re: Early ON1 Photo RAW testing?
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:21 am »

Yes I have been satisfied. Early on the Highlights slider was a little weak but it seems to have improved. You can usually get to where you want. If you start with a somewhat well exsposed  pic you should be just fine. After you learn some of the protect sliders and apply to functions it is really a powerful piece of software. Good videos on their site. The more I use the more I like. Lots easier and cleaner for my use than the Lroom. I use an old copy of CS6 or Affinity for any things that ON1 can't do (pano, hdr, focus stack)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2017, 07:27:15 am »

Yes I have been satisfied. Early on the Highlights slider was a little weak but it seems to have improved. You can usually get to where you want. If you start with a somewhat well exsposed  pic you should be just fine. After you learn some of the protect sliders and apply to functions it is really a powerful piece of software. Good videos on their site. The more I use the more I like. Lots easier and cleaner for my use than the Lroom. I use an old copy of CS6 or Affinity for any things that ON1 can't do (pano, hdr, focus stack)

I'm thinking more about the actual, initial RAW conversion. How much detail is extracted? Are artifacts created? Remember all the fuss over the smearing of foliage by Lightroom in X-Trans files - that sort of thing.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

mburke

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2017, 01:24:23 pm »

I haven't noticed any real issues with artifacts. I also use an Epson 3880 and have done some very nice 13x19's. I use Qimage to print so I simply export a jpg or tiff to a print folder and let Qimage do its thing and then delete the file or not depending on usage. I find that using On1 Browse, Develop and Effects to be a very effective workflow. If I want to mess with changing sky or textures I can use their Layers module or else go to CS6 or Affinity. I use CS6 for panos and HDR. Over the next few months when ON1 has lens corrections and compare and a few other enhancements it should be a nice program.

Shiever

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 03:27:27 pm »

On1 knows that they have a problem with x-trans files and have announced that in their release in February there will be improved x-trans processing.  On1 also is promising to do x-trans compressed files in the Feb time frame.  Personally I have not seen the smearing effects on foliage.  I have seen other artifacts along edges (sawtooth effect).  There is also some CA in all of the processed files.  These are both especially obvious along tree lines where they meet the sky.  Hopefully, the Feb update will permanently be solved.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up