Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Books - POD  (Read 2472 times)

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Photo Books - POD
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:40:02 pm »

I'm considering a publishing a book. I might sell on Kickstarter and print on demand just to see what will happen. I'm reading many bad things about ZNO (formerly artisan slate) and the offerings from my lab look too much like wedding albums.

Does anyone know of - or especially have experience with - a company that produces books on demand? I'm also open to any general comments or suggestions anyone who has done this might have.

pearlstreet

Re: Photo Books - POD
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:22:49 am »

Hi Richard. There have been several discussions of this recently in the forum.

They were in several different sections but if you search the forums you should find them.

Sharon

MarcRochkind

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:27:53 pm »

An important factor is what price you want to charge. For POD of the sort produced by Blurb, costs will be very high. I publish books with CreateSpace, part of Amazon. Cheapest is a B&W book, but the quality is too low for a photo book. Color books have much better quality, so I use that even when all of the photos are B&W. But, still, CreateSpace is much, much cheaper than Blurb. If you want the highest quality and also a reasonable price (e.g., <$50), I don't think POD will do.

I suggest you get together a dozen or so sample photos and produce a (color) book with CreateSpace, for which they will charge you zero. All you pay is the cost of the book plus shipping, and it's a really cheap way to see if CreateSpace will work.

Incidentally, CreateSpace is better for me than any other POD publisher because anything you produce is instantly available on Amazon.

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 05:39:35 am »

POD is always going to be the most costly route, and usually the lowest quality as they are printed on digital presses.

Blurb has decent quality as they have top notch digital presses, but you pay the cost for that. They are still not as good as a litho print.

I'd put some sample pages together, think about how many you would like to sell, then get some quotes from local printers. Once you know your costs and have a price you want to sell for, run a Kickstarter with the target of that many books and see what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up