Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hewlett Packard Design Jet 130  (Read 5027 times)

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
Hewlett Packard Design Jet 130
« on: July 08, 2006, 06:00:48 pm »

With all the recent talk about Epson and Canon printers, nobody has mentioned HP, but the 130 seems to be a viable choice for a 24" inkjet with some serious color management and 80-year Wilhelm-rated dye-based inks. Okay, the roll-paper feeder seems crippled (at an exorbitant price) but it is an option. Otherwise, this printer looks like a helluva buy for about $1000 US.

If you know something about the Design Jet 130 that every prospective buyer ought to know, please let us in on it below!  
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 11:07:06 pm »

If I recall correctly, outbackphoto.com got one awhile back and has posted a lengthly review with their experiences with it.  The one unusual comment I remember is that they said that it "smells bad".  (Not the usual printer complaint...)

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 12:26:19 am »

There have been a couple of huge threads about it in the DPreview printing forums.  So long as you print on their paper and do not take a bath with the photos they are supposed to be pretty long lived.

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 03:17:22 am »

I've said it elsewhere and will say it again and again, in my personal opinion the Designjet 130 hasn't received the attention it deserves. I've had it over a year now, and it has put in a stellar performance. I've had two solo exhibitions with 24" x 28" prints, you can see some details on my website. Many oohs and aahs from visitors.

The only issue I've had was that the light magenta head had to be replaced sooner than expected, and the printer didn't realize there was something wrong with it, while it should. But on this printer heads are consumables just as ink cartridges, you swap them out yourself at very reasonable cost. HP Support Netherlands/Belgium was very patient, helpful and professional on this issue.

Ink consumption is extremely economic. Colours are outstanding and stable.

I have never needed to run a nozzle clean run in a whole year. Not once.

You don't need to buy the expensive optional roll feed holder. With some practice manual feeding is not a problem. I've built a media holder with parts from an IKEA towel rack at US$9,-. The optional roll cutter is a must in my set-up, it automatically cuts the paper from the roll when the print's done. I say it's a must because the leading edge must be cut very straight, otherwise the roll will be difficult to feed next time you want to make a print.

Contrary to what's been said elsewhere, I find the prints and the printer do not smell.

The prints are supposed to last 45 years unprotected or 82 years framed behind glass. But that's only with recommended swellable polymer media from HP. Remember it is a dye-based printer; the ink is encapsulated in the coating of these particular media, which ensures longevity. Apparently HP's philosophy is that it's easier to make dye-based ink more durable than it is to make pigmented inks look good. Printing on other media is possible, but I've not experimented with this, longevity on non-swellable polymer media is supposed to be much less. I happen to like HP Premium Plus Photo Satin very much, I feel no need for other media, but that's personal preference. Matte and glossy media are also available. Prints are not water resistant, but surprisingly, they can be cleaned with clean lighter fuel and a soft tissue, that won't affect the print.

The mechanical construction is OK, the design of the stack feed tray could be improved. Cooling is performed by an audible fan, it's OK but it's noisy enough for me to shut down the printer as soon as I'm done printing.

In summary, I totally agree it's a bargain and has many advantages over the competition, but also some disadvantages, and personal preference may be the most important deciding factor.

I'd buy it again right now. But in a few years there will come a time when it'll have to be replaced; by then I'd also be looking at the new kid on the block Canon in large format printers.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

pobrien3

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 02:47:32 pm »

Gerard, I was tempted to buy that printer for the Satin paper alone - it's gorgeous.  In tests though I found I could not get rid of an overall yellow-ish cast, particularly noticeable in B&W prints.  I could also see clear roller marks.  Do you get these problems?  I found identical characteristics in printers from three different dealers.

I preferred it to the 4800, but held off buying it in the hope that an updated model would give better colour fidelity and iron out a couple of the paper handling glitches.

GerardK

• http://www.kingma.nu
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 02:53:50 pm »

I have little experience in B&W, I've read though that a RIP produces good results on the D130. I've seen no yellow cast or any cast whatsoever, but I haven't measured.

I've read reports of roller marks from users of the optional automatic roll feed. Its mechanics may pull the paper with some force and produce marks. I don't use the roll feed; I've not seen any marks.

Gerard Kingma
www.kingma.nu

leonvick

• http://www.plateaulight.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »

I've said it elsewhere and will say it again and again, in my personal opinion the Designjet 130 hasn't received the attention it deserves. I've had it over a year now, and it has put in a stellar performance.

Thanks Gerard. I have a DJ 130 on order and should have it set up in a few days. I decided that the price is reasonable enough to try if I don't have to repair it (clean clogged heads) every time I use it. There will be others in the future...
Leon
Wherever I go, there I am.

Faintandfuzzy

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 06:34:35 pm »

Gerard,

Do you have a photo of your Ikea Roll Feed System?
Pages: [1]   Go Up