Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: El Capitan stability  (Read 2200 times)

The View

El Capitan stability
« on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »

I'm always intentionally two generations behind in my OS X and wouldn't even dream of quitting the perfectly working Yosemite.

But the latest upgrade to Final Cut Pro X does not run on Yosemite, I'd have to upgrade to at least El Capitan.

Does El Capitan play well with C1? And can I upgrade to El Capitan only - I truly want to avoid Sierra at this time.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Re: El Capitan stability
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:36 pm »

Just in case I can't get El Capitan (Apple may force me towards Sierra):

How well does Sierra work with C1 (and, as we are at it, with Photoshop CC and Bridge CC)?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:38:50 pm »

[Admin EDIT: Jason, your comment breaks your NDA with Phase One and has been removed]

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:26:52 am »

I am using C1 [not-the-very-latest] 9.1.2 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (a recent point upgrade for me) on a 2009 Imac 3.06, and find it no buggier than previous versions—it hangs on startup occasionally (every tenth time?—just guessing; an app restart always fixes the problem), and it seems to quit a bit less frequently than it used to, while in the background. The Phase One bug alert dialogue is still glacial compared to Apple’s, and it thinks it’s crashed out every time after force-quitting.

I really should download the very latest rev; I need to look at the release notes to see what’s new and ‘improved’!
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

The View

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:39:32 am »

I would likely have to upgrade to Sierra, as El Capitan is not longer available.

Sierra is still in a rather earlier version.

But so far I haven't found any complaints in regards to C1, Photoshop, or DaVinci Resolve - which is my main software.

mediumcool

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:10:18 am »

I would likely have to upgrade to Sierra, as El Capitan is not longer available.

It is a good idea to download a stand-alone macOS installer while it’s still available! [not being a smart-arse, but Apple seems to be making versions accessible for shorter times than they used to]

I had to ask around for a stand-alone a few years back, thereby learning a lesson!
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

The View

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 11:27:41 pm »

It is a good idea to download a stand-alone macOS installer while it’s still available! [not being a smart-arse, but Apple seems to be making versions accessible for shorter times than they used to]

I had to ask around for a stand-alone a few years back, thereby learning a lesson!

Do you have a link for that? What's the difference between having one and not having one? From what I've seen, you'd have to go through serious contortions to still get El Capitan.

I'll probably try to get there, as I read about problems of Sierra with DaVinci Resolve.

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:43 pm »

Do you have a link for that? What's the difference between having one and not having one? From what I've seen, you'd have to go through serious contortions to still get El Capitan.

I'll probably try to get there, as I read about problems of Sierra with DaVinci Resolve.

I'd recommend you go with Sierra as it has various fixes. However, you can still get El Capitan from Apple. See this Apple Kbase: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Pages: [1]   Go Up