Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX100V  (Read 3202 times)

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
Sony RX100V
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:34:23 am »

Trying to import shots from a new RX100 mark V, Capture One Pro 9 doesn't see any images on the card. It looks like the camera isn't supported, which seems odd since they're giving CO away in the box. Any thoughts?
Dog shouterer, professional pedant.

Jeff Griffin

Re: Sony RX100V
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:55:00 am »

Here in the UK Sony's new A99 II is now available ( and sold out in some shops ) so I would imagine Phase One will soon release a dot upgrade ..   9.4 ?  for this and any other new cameras.

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:28 am »

This is about the 6th, maybe 7th time this has happened to me, CO & LR; new camera and yet months before the software I've spent a fair bit of money on gets around to actually working with the new camera. No indication of when it actually will.

Bit of a rant:

It's extraordinary that the most prominent software makers and the biggest camera manufacturers in the world can't get their acts together *before* the camera hits the streets and make image reading on new hardware just happen. I sit the blame for this firmly at the feet of the camera makers for pursuing a purely selfish agenda and not getting together to work out a standard for the RAW image format. For, in fact, actively working against any attempt to define a standard by refusing to adopt or contribute and deliberately obfuscating and encrypting their own file versions to hinder attempts at decoding. The effort that goes into decrypting, coding and maintaining these versions is ridiculous and time wasting. It's effort that could go into making the software we use better.

Surely it's not too much to ask?

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:57:46 am »

RAW support isn't there for ACR yet either. Interesting to me that ACR supports all previous versions of the RX100, but no dice (yet) for the V. 

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

I know, and that's why I spoke about software makers in general.

But yes, it seems insane that a camera that's not all that different from the previous model should require an image format change. And that even if it did, that it shouldn't be backward compatible. These formats are not that complicated; there's no reason that obsolescence should come with format changes. Nor that it shouldn't be catered for in software. I'm just asking that they all talk to each other.

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:57:04 pm »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:18 am »

I know, and that's why I spoke about software makers in general.

But yes, it seems insane that a camera that's not all that different from the previous model should require an image format change. And that even if it did, that it shouldn't be backward compatible. These formats are not that complicated; there's no reason that obsolescence should come with format changes. Nor that it shouldn't be catered for in software. I'm just asking that they all talk to each other.
In many cases it isn't an image format change, it's simply the camera ID that's embedded in the file.  The RAW conversion uses the camera ID to determine which RAW conversion algorithms to apply.  If it sees a camera that it doesn't recognize, like a new camera, it doesn't have any way to do the RAW conversion.  If you want you can use a hex editor to modify your RX-100 V files to say RX-100 IV and then the software will work.  However, sometimes you do get some color shifts and other shifts because the manufacturer has made some changes in the underlying color response.  For example, when the D7200 came out, C1 did not support it for months so many of us temporarily modified those files to be D5500 files - same sensor - and suddenly we were able to use C1...

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 11:36:48 am »

Even less excuse then.

I'll dig around, see what I can find.

And thanks.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:58 pm »

Even less excuse then.

Do note that Phase One completely profiles any new camera before incorporating it into C1 so that does take a bit of time.  In general though, due to their partnership with Sony, they are pretty quick to support Sony products.

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:55:39 am »

Sure, there's always a reason but the point I'm trying to make here is that it's a mess and there's no need for it. I ended up with a card full of images that couldn't be processed. Ironically, the camera came with all the invitations for Capture One for Sony. Which couldn't open the images the camera made.

10 will read 100V images.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 08:59:24 am »

Sure, there's always a reason but the point I'm trying to make here is that it's a mess and there's no need for it. I ended up with a card full of images that couldn't be processed. Ironically, the camera came with all the invitations for Capture One for Sony. Which couldn't open the images the camera made.

10 will read 100V images.

Hi Kim,

Unfortunately no manufacturer gives us any prerelease notification or early camera models.  So we work as fast as we can as soon as the model is in our hands.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 09:56:30 am »

I can't help feeling that the point is still sliding over heads here. I know why it's happening, the reason is obvious but I don't care why, I just care that I've had instances where I've had to go for months with sub par and grossly inconvenient conversions for no other reason than because.

The real issue is that a situation where manufacturers control and change data formats at the drop of a hat is clearly a very bad situation, exacerbated by software companies not applying necessary pressure.

None of this need happen.

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 10:35:44 am »

I can't help feeling that the point is still sliding over heads here. I know why it's happening, the reason is obvious but I don't care why, I just care that I've had instances where I've had to go for months with sub par and grossly inconvenient conversions for no other reason than because.

The real issue is that a situation where manufacturers control and change data formats at the drop of a hat is clearly a very bad situation, exacerbated by software companies not applying necessary pressure.

None of this need happen.

Ya, ya, we all know that, and most of us probably agree to an extent.  It's just that this rant is such old news that no one can muster the ire to get too excited anymore. 
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

KimALdis

• Kim-Aldis.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »

I'm sorry but this is not a rant, it's a reasonable grievance. I pay a lot of money for professional cameras and I pay a lot for professionial software and I have a reasonable expectation that they work. And apathy never fixed anything.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:42 am »

I'm sorry but this is not a rant, it's a reasonable grievance. I pay a lot of money for professional cameras and I pay a lot for professionial software and I have a reasonable expectation that they work. And apathy never fixed anything.

In todays day and age of fast moving tech, none of the companies want to risk a 'leak' of new products.  It is what it is. And as I said we continually request for change and in the meantime work hard to support cameras ASAP.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 09:39:10 pm »

Hopefully someday a new format might come along that could become a standard for such, shall we call them, 'Digital NeGatives'...  That day may never arrive, though - seeing as there are still no viable candidates that exist for such a format.  Hard to believe, but it's true..  ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:00:55 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!
Pages: [1]   Go Up