Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2017  (Read 18181 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Lightroom CC 2017
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:42 pm »

Hello,

now that Photoshop was lifted to version CC 2017 toady ( at least for me today ), I wonder if we will see Lightroom CC 2017 this month.

And, let's have our fingers crossed that Jeff will do new videos on this when being published !

Best wishes Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

rdonson

Re: Lightroom CC 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:13 pm »

Regards,
Ron

FabienP

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »

Hello,

now that Photoshop was lifted to version CC 2017 toady ( at least for me today ), I wonder if we will see Lightroom CC 2017 this month.

And, let's have our fingers crossed that Jeff will do new videos on this when being published !

Best wishes Robert

That would be nice indeed. Now, I hope they will come to an agreement this time if CC 2017 is to be considered as a major, revolutionary release! As I remember things, Kevin seemed much more enthusiastic about CC 2015 than Jeff was.

Maybe some more red wine would help in coming to an agreement?

Cheers,

Fabien

PS: glad Adobe skipped CC 2016, out of consistency. That would have been too late a release for this numbering.

James R

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 10:48:30 pm »

Kelby had a webinar on CC17 (and Bridge).  He stated that there is no word on a LR CC17 in the near future. 

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 03:20:48 pm »

Let them take their time with this one.  I am tired of new features coming with a long list of bugs.
Regards,
Ron

James R

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 02:02:33 am »

Let them take their time with this one.  I am tired of new features coming with a long list of bugs.

I agree. They can reduce adding new features, while fine-tuning and enhancing existing features. 

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:16:19 pm »

Just remember that Lightroom is tied to Camera Raw not Photoshop...so when there's a new version of ACR there will be a new version of LR (and vice versa)

ButchM

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:20:09 pm »

Just remember that Lightroom is tied to Camera Raw not Photoshop...so when there's a new version of ACR there will be a new version of LR (and vice versa)

I can't recall the the last time I had an issue with ACR/Develop Module updates ... Quite the contrary, it's been problems elsewhere in Lr that has forced me to roll back a version or two and miss out on the updates.

While I would welcome most any update to ACR/Develop module ... I am growing increasingly weary of the poor attention to detail in other aspects of Lightroom overall and will put off installing any update, no matter how impressive or desirable, until the public beta testers early adopters report back that most all is well.

JeffS

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 04:48:39 pm »

It will be interesting to see whether the next iteration of LR includes a standalone (perpetual license) LR 7 version, or whether Adobe will push everyone to the subscription CC model.

Jeff

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 04:36:07 pm »

It will be interesting to see whether the next iteration of LR includes a standalone (perpetual license) LR 7 version, or whether Adobe will push everyone to the subscription CC model.

Jeff

I hope they go fully rental, in order for me to drop it once and for all. As a serious amateur photographer, who has upgraded since the 2nd version, I feel there is somewhat less and less meat with the recent iterations.

FabienP

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »

Jeff

IMO it would be a mistake to push everyone to the CC model. I don't think it costs Adobe much to keep the perpetual model, it is after all the same software with a few bits disabled for the perpetual version. Paying for each update instead of subscribing might make a few bucks less for Adobe, but it offers an enticing entry point for hobby photographers who don't need Photoshop. It also makes sure that no competing software ever reaches a wide audience.

If it becomes subscription only, I would have a hard time promoting its use in my local photo club. It would also alienate all customers who believed in a prior promise never to cancel the perpetual version.

Anyway, we will know what happens by the time ACR 10 is released, as Jeff Schewe said above.

Cheers,

Fabien

ButchM

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:25:46 am »

It would also alienate all customers who believed in a prior promise never to cancel the perpetual version.

I think you go back and check for the official comment by Adobe on offering the perpetual version of Lightroom ... they never promised anything ... they stated they 'have no plans' to stop offering the Lr perpetual version ... not much of a promise.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 11:44:42 am »

I hope they go fully rental, in order for me to drop it once and for all.

I don't follow the logic.  Why not drop it now?  I mean: why wait until they produce an update that you can't have except by rental?

ihv

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:26 pm »

I don't follow the logic.  Why not drop it now?  I mean: why wait until they produce an update that you can't have except by rental?

Well I actually wait for something to become ready in order to switch, though I'm a little bit afraid it might not live up its promise.
Until then, my LR6 still works.

donbga

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 05:51:03 pm »

Well I actually wait for something to become ready in order to switch, though I'm a little bit afraid it might not live up its promise.
Until then, my LR6 still works.

It will be interesting to see what if any effect ON1 RAW has on the market. ON1 has been hyping it really hard all year and they launch in a couple of weeks. If it is what it promises to be it could have an affect on Adobe's long term plans to keep the perpetual license.

ihv

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 07:18:19 am »

It will be interesting to see what if any effect ON1 RAW has on the market. ON1 has been hyping it really hard all year and they launch in a couple of weeks. If it is what it promises to be it could have an affect on Adobe's long term plans to keep the perpetual license.

It mostly depends how well it finally works: micro level image quality, the tools altogether. For me it would be one stop image editor, all in one, exactly what have dreamt of.
The task at hand has been difficult, the final release date has been pushed to end of December, though more info of its workings becomes available at the time of pre-release.
I bet Adobe has something coming as well, but they have much harder task this time in my opinion.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 07:54:11 am »

Yes, in fact it's the first thing they mention on their Webpage:
The Future of Raw
Photo Editing:
ON1 Photo RAW
No subscription required.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

donbga

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 08:22:14 am »

Yes, in fact it's the first thing they mention on their Webpage:
The Future of Raw
Photo Editing:
ON1 Photo RAW
No subscription required.

Cheers,
Bart

Another player to watch for is the Affinity RAW editor. I've just downloaded the beta for the Windows version. I'm just curious to see how it compares to LR/ACR and performs particularly with its handling of Olympus and Panasonic RAW files.

It has been my impression that Adobe's RAW software seems to be optimized for Canon and Nikon files, while other brands seem to get pushed to the back of the bus. Even after converting to DNG I'm not pleased with the results especially with the denoising of RAW files. I'm sure others may disagree.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 04:32:16 pm »

Quote "Even after converting to DNG I'm not pleased with the results especially with the denoising of RAW files. I'm sure others may disagree.'
You should see absolutely no difference in the conversion of a raw file or working with a raw file converted to DNG.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6
Pages: [1]   Go Up