Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How good is Lightroom processing FUJI XT-2 Raw files??  (Read 3746 times)

vartkes

• The Armenian
    • VartkesImages - Contemplative Photographs
How good is Lightroom processing FUJI XT-2 Raw files??
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »

I would love to hear from XT-1 or XT-2 users who render their RAW files in Lightroom.....
I am getting ready to “upgrade” to the Fuji XT-2 system from Canon 5D Mark III and bunch of L lenses. One of the considerations is how well is Lightroom working with the RAW files from the Fuji sensor which is NOT Bayer pattern. As is, Lightroom does not have profiles for the X-mount Fujinon lenses – shame on Adobe!
I would like to learn from Fuji users about how well is Lr working with Fuji RAW files.
Thank you
Vartkes

rdonson

Re: How good is Lightroom processing FUJI XT-2 Raw files??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:58:28 pm »

I have both the X-T1 and X-T2 and process my files in Lightroom.  Overall, I'm quite happy.  There are a few things to learn though.

- I don't use the Adobe RAW camera profile - for me it's as dull as dishwater - use Provia as a start and try the others depending on your tastes and subjects.

- don't use the default Adobe sharpening settings as they will produce strange results, often called "wormy"

Look through the discussions under "Compact System Cameras" for more detailed thoughts.

Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 11:02:58 pm »

I don't think LR needs the lens profiles as they should be included in the files. It automatically reads them and processes them on the fly. I think very few converters are able to show you the files without the lens corrections.

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:51 pm »

Armand is correct. 

The lens profiles come with the lens/camera combination in the RAW files and are read by Lightroom if you select Fuji X for camera profiles.  It will freak you out the first time because Lightroom will report they are profiles for a Fuji X-100. 

The lens profiles are updated by Fuji with lens firmware.
Regards,
Ron

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:01:32 am »

As mentioned above, the lens corrections are built-in to the Adobe profiles, and can't be turned off. No shame on anyone, actually.

I've been using Lightroom to process Fuji raw files for several years, and I am happy with the results. The files require totally different sharpening settings than I am used to with my Canon files, though.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »

I've been processing Fuji RAW files in Lightroom since my original X E-1. For the most part it has worked well. I have flirted with Iridient but found the extra hassle not worth the hard to see improvement. The latest thing that has helped the quality of my images, and I usually print 9x13 with occasional 13x20, is the advice from Peter Bridgwood on sharpening. There's a thread here somewhere on some modifications he made for the X T-2 but just reading his article and starting with that is a good start. One does sometimes see some artifact at 100% but never in a print. I'd not hesitate to try a few variations. Some here seem to like Capture One, others Iridient, and I'm sure there are others. Try and see what works for you. Good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up