Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?  (Read 5031 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com

I am a wedding photographer. After a long day of shooting a wedding I am just so tired of having my cameras on straps around my neck.

I saw some people use camera straps around the shoulder which puts the weight on the shoulder rather than the neck area....

Do you use them? Which one would you recommend? How about HoldFast camera straps?

Thanks so much!

scyth

Re: Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:58:01 pm »

I am a wedding photographer. After a long day of shooting a wedding I am just so tired of having my cameras on straps around my neck.

I saw some people use camera straps around the shoulder which puts the weight on the shoulder rather than the neck area....

Do you use them? Which one would you recommend? How about HoldFast camera straps?

Thanks so much!

may be a west like from Cotton Carrier

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:50:42 am »

While I am a hobbyist photographer, I too look for ways to carry my gear comfortably.  I was able to make my own sling strap for $12.00 and could probably make another one for less than $10.00.

Yeah it does not have a trendy brand name on it, but it works.  I just took the Bosstrap design and some other sling designs and modified it for my purposes and saved a lot of money.

So check out a DIY sling.  It is not that hard to make and you wont' have to walk around with someone else's company name on your stuff.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »

I primarily shoot landscapes so most of the time I use a tripod. Those days where I am carrying the camera for extended periods I use a Black Rapid Sport (see the link below). I have had it about 12 months and wish I had bought it a long time ago! I have had my Canon 5DsR and 70-200mm f/2.8 on my shoulder for 5-6 hours and not noticed the weight at all. I am sure there are other brands that can do the same thing.

http://blackrapid.com/Straps/Sport-Breathe.html

Cheers,

Gary

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 10:29:42 pm »

I don't do weddings, but I've done my share of long events.  If I am using two bodies, i genreally era black rapid strap made for two cameras.  Very comfortable.  This is better if the weight of each is similar.

I really don't like using straps in general.  Unless I'm by water or on a cliff.  I find myself using a think tank belt system with just what I need.  Just essentials.  I carry the camera in my hands.  Occasionally often will have a black rapid single camera strap on too...but unhooked from the camera.  Just in case my hands get tired, or I need to do something else that requires the camera to be down.  That way I. Can just hook it onto the strap for a moment, etc...  Regardless the belt system puts the weight on your hips if worn right and it's easier to manage all day.

When I used to shoot Leica Ms, or with a lighter kit and primes sometimes I use a think tank strap too.  I like those as straps.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 08:24:02 pm »

Thanks so much!

For at least ten years now I have using the UPStrap brand http://www.upstrap-pro.com. The y are comfortable and simply don't slip no matter what I am wearing.

Necks don't make good camera hanging posts.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:09:46 am »

I'm pragmatic...I'm moving down to smaller cameras with lighter weight.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 03:12:45 am »

I use both the Up Strap (I own about 3 of them for different cameras) in combination with BosStrap.

BrownBear

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:57 am »

My wife shot weddings for over 20 years along with events and location work, in addition to her usual studio work. I helped on her big shoots while adding industrial, aerial and scientific shooting to our business. Very long days with mobility a premium and usually at least two cameras ready at any moment.

For us the solution was long camera straps worn across our bodies and adjusted to ride on each side slightly above belt level. That allows us to stop camera swing with the press of an elbow while moving, yet keeps the cameras quickly accessible, even as the one not in use is down and out of the way.  Wide strap padding is mandatory. We're heavy users of belt pouches for immediate access to lenses and accessories, further limiting weight on shoulders.

In our experience camera bags and slings are especially hard on shoulders and spines, while backpacks aren't much better. Worse yet, if you have to root in a sling, bag or pack for something, you usually miss the shot. We keep our full array of gear for a shoot in roller bags, stow those in a safe central location, and return to them to change gear between sessions. Handy, but not on our backs. We usually carry a small day pack, but it's reserved for food, water, rain gear, etc. The transition to landscape shoots is pretty direct.

Everybody has to work out their own system, but ours revolves around keeping the weight off our necks and spines but accessible and minimally floppy while we're moving around. Even with all those spine/neck precautions, the central feature of our business is an insurance policy that covers good chiropractics.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 09:02:04 am by BrownBear »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 10:21:08 am »

Back in the 1970s I did a fair amount of hiking and some backpacking carrying my gear in a big Kelty exterior-frame pack. I drilled two vertical holes through the top cross bar and put a stainless steel machine screw up through each hole, locked in place with a nut. This allowed me to carry two pentaxes (one for color and for BW) hanging from the screws, so the weight was supported by the waist strap and not by mu neck. Very comfortable, but bulky.

Now I have a simpler and lighter system that keeps the weight off my neck and is suitable even for short local hikes. I have attached two D-rings high up on the straps of a simple North Face daypack, and two on the straps of any camera I want to carry around (Canon 5DII, and more recently Sony RX10.) Whenever I go out with the camera, I attach the camera to the daypack with carabiners. The weight of the camera is supported by the padded straps on my shoulders and not by my neck, and the camera hangs centrally in front of me, instantly ready for use.

I have used this setup for a few years now, and it is comfortable even for long hikes.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 01:13:25 pm »

Its amazing to me how a company can charge $81+ for something I purchased from Amazon for $12 + $5 for the swivel mount I use instead of the one that comes with.

Anyway, yes a shoulder strap is great. I also have one that cost me $20 and this hold 2 cameras. They are the copy of the $200 Cotton Carrier.
Its amazing how much a mark up one can make, since it is marketed for a specific industry.

Nothing new, but I mention it, as you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to save your arm, at least.
I have used it for about 5 years now and they still work as new with some visual wear on the strap that is normal.

I would also look into the ones that lock onto your chest to rest. I have yet to try, but looks interesting.(and those I don't know if they have "off brands", but they are pricey)
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 02:36:57 pm »

The Upstrap works well as a standard style shoulder strap - it doesn't shift or fall off, ever.

I have rigged the Op/Tech two-camera shoulder harness system to carry both cameras in front, one below the other. It took some additional straps of different lengths, but it works well to distribute the weight while keeping both cameras ready to shoot. This works best with short primes - I typically shoot with a 16/1.4 and a 35/1.4.

I also switched to Fuji to cut the overall weight of the system.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »

I'm a Black Rapid user too. Good solution. I have a single strap and a dual one. I know there are cheaper but I didn't find the BR price prohibitive.
-MattB

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 06:24:54 pm »

I use a Peak Design Slide strap. Different approach than Black Rapid but accomplishes the same thing. I also use Zing pouches one  $5 tool belt from Lowe's. And a pair of $10 construction suspenders makes the belt more comfortable while providing a place for my Peak Design Camera Clip when I need two bodies. Since it's all black, it will work well for a mor formal event as well as every day work. Cheap, comfortable, and easy.

jwstl

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 01:27:22 pm »

I'm pragmatic...I'm moving down to smaller cameras with lighter weight.

Me too...It was the only option. I had back surgery a few years ago and just finished PT for my neck and shoulder. Carrying a heavy bad just won't work. I recently went on a lengthy hike/shoot and carried my lighter gear this way: camera with a small strap wrapped around my hand and 3 extra lenses in a hip bag...nothing on my neck or shoulders with the weight of the lenses on my hip. The strap was long enough to put around my neck if necessary. I didn't take a tripod on this trip...haven't figured out a great way of carrying one yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up