Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st steps into monitor calibration  (Read 3790 times)

Endeavour

1st steps into monitor calibration
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:37 am »

I have a dual monitor setup. my main screen being a Dell ultrasharp and the 2nd being a samsung. I'm running windows10 with an nvidia gtx 780ti
Also a MacBook Pro (non retina) - not sure if this can be calibrated also, I use it for tethered shooting.

I intend to start printing my images on my Canon pixma pro9500 and need to get at least the dell screen calibrated.

Does anyone have any suggestions for calibration hardware? ideally both screens but I can live with trying to eyeball the other from my main screen.

I don't want to go crazy with cost, but I want a tool which will work on both mac and windows.

thanks
Simon

scyth

Re: 1st steps into monitor calibration
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 01:14:29 pm »

Does anyone have any suggestions for calibration hardware?

the standard suggestion is i1Display Pro colorimeter from X-Rite ... if you are printing then you might want a spectrometer like i1Pro2 from X-Rite in addition (or if you are budget minded - which seems to be the case based on your h/w in the original posting - instead of colorimeter... you save some money but then may be forfeit some precision in shadows for your monitors... spectrometer though is 5-10 times more pricey vs colorimeter)

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 11:30:13 am »

thanks

so could I use something like the X-Rite CMUNPH ColorMunki Photo for my printer, together with an i1Display Pro for my monitors?

(I'd have thought given the cost of spectrometer's being in the many thousands of $ for very low volume use, that renting them would be more appropriate - no-one seems to be offering them for rental around here though)

scyth

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:34 am »

thanks
so could I use something like the X-Rite CMUNPH ColorMunki Photo for my printer, together with an i1Display Pro for my monitors?

you can use X-Rite's Colormunki Photo spectrometer for both purposes (print/display) of course if you are budget limited...

(I'd have thought given the cost of spectrometer's being in the many thousands of $ for very low volume use, that renting them would be more appropriate - no-one seems to be offering them for rental around here though)

a new one shall be just a ~$1000... a used one /latest revisions of i1Pro/ (or X-Rite rebranded as EFI) can be purchased for as as low as $300-400 (hunting required for a cheaper price/decent condition)

or befriend somebody local who has it

so if you get access to spectrometer that way - I'd suggest to buy i1DisplayPro (there is a crippled / in terms of its speed and what software works w/ it - some software that can do h/w calibration will not support ColorMunki Display - this is X-Rite's doing for market segmentation / version of if sold as ColorMunki Display too)

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:54:11 am »

you can use X-Rite's Colormunki Photo spectrometer for both purposes (print/display) of course if you are budget limited...

a new one shall be just a ~$1000... a used one /latest revisions of i1Pro/ (or X-Rite rebranded as EFI) can be purchased for as as low as $300-400 (hunting required for a cheaper price/decent condition)

or befriend somebody local who has it

so if you get access to spectrometer that way - I'd suggest to buy i1DisplayPro (there is a crippled / in terms of its speed and what software works w/ it - some software that can do h/w calibration will not support ColorMunki Display - this is X-Rite's doing for market segmentation / version of if sold as ColorMunki Display too)

I have an i1DisplayPro being delivered today. So was just looking for something for the printing side now

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:46:54 pm »

If it is a Dell UltraSharp with PremierColor, better use DUCCS(Dell UltraSharp Color Calibration System)
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19661040

How to Properly Calibrate the Dell UltraSharp with PremierColor.
https://photographylife.com/how-to-properly-calibrate-dell-u2413-u2713h-u3014-monitors

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:04:47 pm »

it's not a premierecolor monitor

Plus I am thinking of replacing it in a couple of months for a larger screen. Havent decided which yet, but another dell might be on the cards

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 02:28:55 pm »

Then use the i1Display Pro with Argyll+dispCAL http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/870355/1#post17806610
Pages: [1]   Go Up