Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: the Tiny Digital Camera That Outperforms DSLRs  (Read 7188 times)

Isaac

the Tiny Digital Camera That Outperforms DSLRs
« on: October 26, 2016, 02:06:14 am »

When you press the shutter button to take a 28-mm image, all five 28-mm modules fire simultaneously, recording five images of the same thing but from slightly different perspectives. All five 70-mm modules also record images. Normally, a 70-mm lens can capture approximately a quarter of the scene that a 28-mm lens takes. But our camera adjusts the mirrors in front of four of those lenses so that different modules point at each of the four quadrants of the 28-mm frame we’re trying to take, so these four 70-mm images effectively end up covering most of the 28-mm frame.

Because four 70-mm images are recorded, each at a 13-megapixel resolution, the camera captures 52 megapixels of information. The fifth 70-mm module points at the center of the 28-mm frame to ensure the best picture quality at the center of the final image. The software in the camera uses information from the 28-mm modules to precisely stitch together the 70-mm images and then combines all the data into one high-resolution, high-quality picture.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/gadgets/inside-the-development-of-light-the-tiny-digital-camera-that-outperforms-dslrs
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:51:24 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: the Tiny Digital Camera That Outperforms DSLRs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:58:53 am »

Welcome back!

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 03:45:38 pm »

I like the concept. Reminds me of using arrays of radio telescopes to boost overall resolving capability, as in the Event Horizon Telescope project created to take pics of the silhouette surrounding Sagittarius A* (our galaxy's central black hole).

-Dave-

Isaac

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:36:00 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up