Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what's with the messed up import order ?  (Read 2668 times)

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
what's with the messed up import order ?
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:13:41 am »

HI Guys,

another thing that bugs me in LR 6.7
since a couple of months now the import order has changed to random.
yes random, because LR no longer cares about the filedate or time.
it imports randomly and renames ( as in my preset ) with a consecutive number, but the sorting default is now added order and when I then click <sort by <capturetime, the file naming is way off. can this be fixed, other than renaming the files everytime after import ?
another thing that I can't put my head around is that every file from my Pentax645Z gets imported the upside down...
any thoughts ?

cheers
Stephan

stingray

Re: what's with the messed up import order ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:20:40 am »

See my attached screen dump.

a. Do you select the Sort order before you Import (see button 1 on the attachment).
b. You can create an import preset, which has your dev settings, metadata settings and sort order pre-configured. (See button 2).

This is an example of really really really bad GUI design by Adobe.  The import sort order and the import preset options should be on the right panel.  Instead most Lr users do not notice these options (on the bottom panel) and have to live with repeated frustration at import time.

It also annoys me that Adobe have not bothered to correct this glaring usability gaff.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:33:56 am »

thanks Stingray,

I had actually overlooked that, since it just worked normally all those years since LR came out.
the issue with the turned around files still puzzles me, though...

cheers
Stephan

stingray

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:39:59 am »

Yea... it is often missed because these options can be hidden at the bottom.

AutoRate.
You should check the "Auto-Rotate" options in your camera settings.  They can vary from vendor to vendor and camera model to camera model.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:48:33 am »

See my attached screen dump.

a. Do you select the Sort order before you Import (see button 1 on the attachment).
b. You can create an import preset, which has your dev settings, metadata settings and sort order pre-configured. (See button 2).

This is an example of really really really bad GUI design by Adobe.  The import sort order and the import preset options should be on the right panel.  Instead most Lr users do not notice these options (on the bottom panel) and have to live with repeated frustration at import time.

It also annoys me that Adobe have not bothered to correct this glaring usability gaff.

As I've never, ever, had a problem with this - and I import photos into LR often - I wondered why others would show-up such an issue.  I'm on LR-CC (subscription) 2015.6.1, and the GUI for this function is quite different from what you show. Please see the two screen grabs here. There is a function at the bottom of the screen called "Sort", with a drop-down menu offering the sort options shown. By leaving it on OFF, this version of LR by default imports the files by native file name and capture time.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stingray

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:06:52 am »

Interesting. 

I am using latest ver of Windows and Lr.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Application architecture: x64

The last screenshot I posted I made as small as possible, just to demonstrate the point I was making.

I am attaching a version which shows the full screen.

I have created a default develop and metadata preset.  I then glue them all together with an Import Preset, which allows me to also specify the default import sort order.

I too used to run into import sort order difficulties, but usually worked around the issue until I spotted the options at the bottom of the import screen.

I constantly get annoyed when I see Lr users with issues on import sort order and blame the Adobe GUI design for such a poor presentation of the options available.

I know you are a very experienced user of Lr.... so it will be interesting to find out why your display differs from mine. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:28:36 am »

Interesting indeed; I notice in your latest screen grab just above your Import dialog layout is pretty much the same as mine, but I haven't needed to make any custom presets for the sort order to be sequential. I'm on Mac OSX but for this kind of thing I don't see - on the face of it - why that would make a difference of import behaviour.

stingray

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52:55 am »

...... you therefore do NOT have the option to select an Import Preset.

I have two which I use regularly..... one includes my standard develop and metadata settings.  The second is where I want to import images "as is", with no develop or metadata applied. This saves me time and provides consistency.

I also just noticed that the Sort order is not stored in the preset (bad form) .... so this must be a 'sticky' field ..... which gets changed from time to time, maybe  as new versions are applied, and thus a plethora of import sort issue postings on various forums.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 11:08:06 am »

...... you therefore do NOT have the option to select an Import Preset.

Yes I do. It's tucked right at the very bottom of the Import GUI. I think I didn't display that in my screen grabs.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 03:49:05 pm »

I am glad that is sorted.
just have never ever touched that option thing and somehow it went from off, or default capture time, to random. but now I've set all my presets to capture time and all's good.

on the other thing with the rotation, I have set my 645Z to autorotate, but thats for displaying portraits pics vertical, so you get a bigger preview I thought.

will check on that again

cheers
and thanks guys
Stephan
Pages: [1]   Go Up