Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum Scanner - Used - Recommendations?  (Read 3126 times)

ddolde

Drum Scanner - Used - Recommendations?
« on: June 22, 2005, 12:59:54 pm »

%&((*%$$#
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 12:08:26 am by ddolde »

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Drum Scanner - Used - Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 07:11:10 am »

I am getting back into photography after several years of absence.  I'm very familiar with the digital domain (developed computer graphics and 3-D software on the Silicon Graphics platform for 12 years).  

I have over a thousand 4x5 chromes and B/W negatives along with hundreds of 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 images that I've taken all over the world to digitize/scan.  Landscape content primarily.

Cost of having this done is obviously prohibitive SO I'll just buy a PMT drum scanner and do it myself.

I would appreciate your suggestions and guidance in defining the top one or two PMT drum scanners to consider for fine art photo.

Primary Considerations: Quality of scan - this is paramount as I plan to pursue the fine art market with large prints of unmatched quality;  Ability to keep it operational - service and parts available at reasonable cost.  

I have previously written SGI drivers for the Howtek drum scanner, Nikon, Sharp and the Leaf scanners and I am seeking a level of quality SUBSTANTIALLY above this level of scanners.  

FYI - I have looked at Imacon 848 and found the shadow detail lacking and not meeting my needs - concluded that a true PMT scanner is essential.

Scanner will be for my personal use and not as a service bureau.  Cost level I would like to keep the unit at or below is $12,000 - $15,000.

I'm seeing Isomet scanners for under $4,000 but I'm finding that parts and service are almost impossible to find.  I'm also considering a refurb'd ICG 350.

Your guidance and experience are sincerely appreciated.
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up