Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X T-2, Lightroom, and compressed files  (Read 5270 times)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Fuji X T-2, Lightroom, and compressed files
« on: October 09, 2016, 02:36:42 pm »

After the help I received from my last post about choosing compressed files for my X T-2, I've been using compressed files exclusively. For downloading, I've been using a USB-3 cable, easily plugged in to the left side of the camera. I do that to prevent accidentally leaving the card in the reader, or worse, being a clumsy person, losing the card. I realize this uses some camera battery power but I'm not a high volume shooter, and I have the battery grip which holds three batteries. I plug the camera in, turn on Lightroom CC 2015.7, the current version, then the camera, and see all my image previews in the import window with no problem.
Today, just as a trial, I pulled a card out of the camera, put it into my Hoodman Steel USB 3.0 UDMA reader, and the Lightroom download window showed a bunch of RAF icons, not the images themselves. FWIW, if I double click on a RAF icon, I can see the individual file! I then took some new images uncompressed and did it again. The uncompressed images show up just fine when using the reader, the compressed do not. Same cards (Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro), same version of LR. I looked at my LR preferences and can see no obvious issue to explain this behavior. I normally plug the reader into a Tripplite USB 3 hub but also tried with the reader plugged directly into a USB 3 port on my Mac Pro. FWIW, I also checked my Retina Macbook Pro and the same thing happens when the card is placed into the laptop's card reader. The laptop also shows the images perfectly well when I plug the camera in with the the USB-3 cable.
Basically, Lightroom does not appear to "see" the images, just the RAF icon, when set up to import from a card in a card reader with the Mac Pro or slot on the Macbook Pro.
I hope and expect that there's a simple answer to this. Is it me, is it the card reader (if so, why is my Macbook Pro without a reader misbehaving?) is it Lightroom? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I assume others are successfully using card readers to download Fuji X T-2 compressed files. Thanks.

Eric Brody

Re: Fuji X T-2, Lightroom, and compressed files
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:33 am »

OK, so 100 folks have read this post, and no one has an answer or even a cheap shot comment.
How about simply asking how people download their Fuji X T-2 raw compressed files to Lightroom, card reader, cable? Forget all the other stuff, which, of course doesn't really matter.
Thanks.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:37:09 pm »

Well maybe no one is seeing your issues. I always import my files from the card via a card reader to a hard drive. I use a separate utility to do this. Once the files are download, if I am going to edit them in LR, I import them where they are into the catalog. No issues, everything is downloaded and I get thumbnails. I never download via a usb cable on the camera, only via a reader. I never have LR move them or place them on my hard drive. I always import from they are residing.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:50:42 pm »

I'm using Lr CC 2015.7 (latest version ?). 

iMac and rMBP both running El Capitan 10.11.6
I shoot compressed RAW only with my X-T2
I use UHS II Delkin SD cards
I use a SanDisk USB 3 UHS II card reader

I don't see images when importing in Lr.  I just get a big ugly RAF graphic.   

A few people have said that this is a bug introduced in the latest version of Lr CC.  I didn't receive my X-T2 until this version of Lr so I have no way of knowing. 

You may not have received a lot of comments on this thread because this issue was discussed in another thread awhile ago.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:56:00 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »

Thanks Ron, I didn't realize that it had been discussed. I did not mean to sound petulant. This group has always been helpful and courteous.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 03:53:42 pm »

I'm using Lr CC 2015.7 (latest version ?). 

iMac and rMBP both running El Capitan 10.11.6
I shoot compressed RAW only with my X-T2
I use UHS II Delkin SD cards
I use a SanDisk USB 3 UHS II card reader

I don't see images when importing in Lr.  I just get a big ugly RAF graphic.   

A few people have said that this is a bug introduced in the latest version of Lr CC.  I didn't receive my X-T2 until this version of Lr so I have no way of knowing. 

Mac Air running El Capitan 10.11.6
Lexar 300x Premium II SDXC Card
Compressed raw only with XT2
Built-in card reader.
Latest version of Lightroom 6.7 CC

Had the camera for a month, and I have always seen the thumbnails.

John

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 05:49:01 pm »

John, I wish I could understand why some of us don't see thumbnails and others do.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:46:34 am »

We all wish so, Ron, but I don't think it's clear where the problem lies.

I'm not using this or any type of workaround, but what about this post? Could the difference be related to how the card reader is being recognised by the individual Mac? Or the camera's firmware?

By the way, the big danger of that workaround is that it would allow someone to import the photos while leaving them on the card. Format the card, and it's goodbye to the pictures (or time for ImageRescue).

John
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 03:28:48 am by john beardsworth »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 05:01:52 am »

To eliminate one possibility, I also tested on a Hama USB2 card reader instead of using the one built into the Mac. I could see all the thumbnails as expected.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 01:04:40 pm »

John,  I'm using the same Sandisk SD card reader I use with my X-T1.  I never had an issues with uncompressed RAW files from the X-T1.

I may get some time later this week to do some experimentation with compressed and uncompressed RAW files from the X-T2.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:19:16 pm »

Do either of your Macs have built-in readers, Ron? Are results different with them?

John

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 03:08:31 pm »

John, yes, both machines have built in SD card readers.  I won't be able to test that avenue though for a few days.
Regards,
Ron

Eric Brody

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 06:32:45 pm »

Big thanks to John Beardsworth for this link, http://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/x-t2-previews-not-showing-on-lightroom-cc-import-screen.61730/page-2#post-621090. I tried it on my card reader with my desktop Mac Pro and with the slot on my Macbook Pro laptop and it works just fine. I don't come close to understanding the problem or the solution, but it's nice to have an essentially painless workaround.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 03:18:34 am »

To emphasize what I wrote before, please be very careful that when you are using that method. Make sure Import is set to Copy - not Add.

John
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:09:22 am by john beardsworth »

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 07:26:03 am »

Hmmmmm.... good tips, Eric and John.  I'll give them a go and see if it addresses the issue.
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »

I finally got to test this in Windows after the last LR update and it works as usual, compressed raf and jpg.

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 12:21:16 pm »

Phew.... it's been a busy week.  Just got back from a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway and was able to test the IMPORT and no previews issue.

YES!  Instead of letting Lr merrily choose "Untitled" I went to the left side panel and chose "Untitled" then "DCIM" and everything worked as expected.  Not sure why this is the fix but I'm not arguing with success.  The issue had nothing to do with card readers or ports used, etc. 

Many thanks to all for the tips!!!
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up